Relocation of preload adjuster solved - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Smile Relocation of preload adjuster solved

A couple of days ago I was asking if anyone has ever relocated the rear spring preload adjuster knob. No one replied so I guess this is not a very common modification.

Why should one want to put the adjuster somewhere else? Well, maybe one needs more space for fusebox, extra tools, permanently mounted battery tender, jump cables or for wife’s tennis shoes. Or some crazy like me puts a windshield adjuster motor under the seat and the darn knob is on the way…

Anyway, I found a suitable place for the knob right under the passenger footpeg (or floortboard) chrome (or whatever finish each one has..) plate. I just made one bracket out of 3 mm x 20 mm flat steel, drilled two holes (8 and 10 mm) one on each end and bent it slightly to Z-shape. (The bending just brings the knob a bit outwards.) Then I mounted the whole thing under the bolt that holds the rear suspension torsion bar (or whatever the correct term is in English…) The pictures should explain it all.

The hose needs not to be disconnected. The adjuster can fit between the wires so that there is a clear new route for the hose. It is a good idea to put some pieces of bigger size hose in places where the hose is zip tied to the frame. The original hose holders can not be relocated.

A positive feature of this modification is that it can easily be undone if the bike needs to be brought back to original shape.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	1052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grind off the little peg.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	1053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket bolted in adjuster.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	1054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Knob reloctad 1.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	1055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final result.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	1056  

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 11:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Interesting...

Have you checked the suspension travel?

Yes Dave, I figured that this end of the torsion bar does not move anywhere during suspension travel whereas the other end does. Also the bolt should not be rotaing. If it would, it would need some kind of locking pin...

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #3 of 17 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 1:01 pm

Thanks Ari!!!

Very interesting . . .

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #4 of 17 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Interesting...

Have you checked the suspension travel?
Hi Dave, sorry after checking my pictures again I realised what you actually ment with your question.
From one of the pictures one could get the impresson that the knob gets squeezed if the paralever bounces further downwards. In reality there is plenty of room for this theoretical situation between the knob and the paralever. And besides, the bike is on centerstand (+ on a dolly) so the paralever should not really be able to come down any further unless I take the LT to a motocross track. (We actually have a World Championship track in here where even an American called Brad Lackey used to race back in the seventies...;-)

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #5 of 17 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 2:16 pm

why do you need a windshield motor under the seat???
post #6 of 17 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
why do you need a windshield motor under the seat???
Lenny,

I was already worried how long it takes before somebody starts wondering what the heck is going on with the windshield motor under the seat...

Well, you see, one has to be prepared for everything. What do you do if if your winshield motor quits in a pouring down rain and the screen gets stuck in the upper position? (Common problem with Wings with manual screen adjustment...)
If you have a spare along, you just quickly strip the tupperware off, change the motor and you are back on the road in less than three hours...;-)

Naw...just kidding Lenny. Seriously (if you can still bear me), I'm in the process of making a power assisted seat height adjustment and I'm using an old LT windshield motor assembly that one of the board members, "varoom" (Richard Kuethe), kindly donated for this "R&D project".

I have basically solved all the placement as well as electrical issues but the system is not yet in operation. My new Russel seats are en route and currently I'm using borrowed seats for the installation mock-up. As seat base needs some modification as well and I can't start making holes in other's seats...

I also want to have the system fully functioning before reporting it on this forum. The courtesy title of "Village Idiot" is already taken and although I might be a possible candidate for receiving the title as well, I still rather leave it for the original bearer ;-)

Best regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #7 of 17 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 4:49 pm

Do you think the motor will have enough torque to lift the seat with you on it? I found that my windshield motor has a hard time raising the windshield since I switched to a Cee Baileys #2. The extra force from the different shape screen is enough to cause it to struggle after about 60mph.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #8 of 17 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 4:58 pm

Ari, you are one smart dude!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 17 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 5:03 pm

BMW "adjustable" seat

Ari
You do come up with some interesting ideas,
We are all looking forward to see the pictures of your project
as well as the pictures of your new seat.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #10 of 17 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 9:29 pm

I guess that it must be the early and long Finnish winters that inspire this creativity!!

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #11 of 17 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 4:59 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
Do you think the motor will have enough torque to lift the seat with you on it? I found that my windshield motor has a hard time raising the windshield since I switched to a Cee Baileys #2. The extra force from the different shape screen is enough to cause it to struggle after about 60mph.
Malcom,
You made a very relevant question. Actually this was the first one I was (and I still am a little bit) concerned about.
However, according to my first tests the motor assembly seems quite powerful. In fact, if you think about the forces that the leverage system has to face in speeds 60 mph and beyond, the unit has quite a bit of beef. In addition, the unit does not need to lift my full weight, of course I can put more pressure on the footpegs when raising / lowering the seat.
Also due to the double “worm-wheel” gearing the unit has sufficient self holding power so if stopped in the middle position it stays there.

My biggest concern is actually the mechanical strength of the second gearing. Due to space issues I have been forced to install the unit in backwards position compared to the windshield application. When I stop the seat in middle position there is quite a bit of force pushing the adjustment axle in opposite direction than in the windshield setup.

But, we shall see... Perhaps I will be able to find a way to add some support to the weak point.

I will report the results regardless the end result. Luckily this modification is not resulting to any permanent or irreversible changes to the bike...

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #12 of 17 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 7:37 am

Thumbs up

Ari, I think your idea of an electrically height adjustable seat is absolutely spot on.

Down for stop and go/city riding, up for touring. What's not to like?

A GREAT idea. It will be especially useful with the Russell.

Now, if only you can get it to slide fore and aft as well! I'll work on the vibrating magic fingers and shiatsu massage rollers at a later date.

(Seriously.)

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 17 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 8:12 am

Ari,

Sounds like a fun project. Not to Hijack your thread, just thinking out loud
here.

If you have problems with the worm gear mechanism, Think about a small air cylinder with a switching valve or bleeder to retract. I think alot of guys are already carrying onboard compressors anyway.

Larry Rusnak
Wadsworth, Ohio
2002 K1200LTC Pacific Blue
post #14 of 17 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 10:13 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea Larry,

in fact I happen to have a small permanently mounted Thomas compressor as well.
I will definetly look at this route in case my windshield motor gives up. One reason I'm "stuck" with the windshield motor is that I will use the OEM left handlebar switch for adjusting both the screen and the seat. I will just install a switching relay that is commanded by one of my six "Phoenix" switches. So electrically there will not be any visible changes, everything will be under the tupperware.

I wonder if the air cylinder route would need some kind of an air tank. I have the fear that either the compressor or some connector or something leaks all the time so that the seat will not stay up. If there would be some kind of an air resevoir, maybe the compressor could be connected through a pressostat to maintain a constant pressure in the "network".
Oh well, wher to locate the air tank...? Maybe putting up a fake right side muffler could hide a sufficient size of an air tank;-)

Thanks again for the suggestion, it may well be that I need that...

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #15 of 17 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 10:27 am

You’ve come with a great idea and obviously put a great deal of thought into it. Best of luck. Now, if you could incorporate Ron’s “vibrating magic fingers”, what a seat.

Looking forward to lots of pic’s and details when you’re done.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #16 of 17 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:32 am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Lenny,

I also want to have the system fully functioning before reporting it on this forum. The courtesy title of "Village Idiot" is already taken and although I might be a possible candidate for receiving the title as well, I still rather leave it for the original bearer ;-)

Best regards
How about " Gyro Gearloose of the North "

Jari
post #17 of 17 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 12:12 pm Thread Starter

Dear Sir,

thanks for the honor but you take a look at the member map and see who is living further North... ;-)

Parhain terveisin

Hyvinkää, Finland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in