Could it be the starter?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

Could it be the starter??

I went out this morning to ride to work on my k1200lt, and wouldn't you know it would not start. The bike ran fine yesterday. It seems to begin to turn over then just stops. I can hold the start button down for a second or two and nothing. There is plenty of juice in the battery. But nothing when I try to turn it over. Every once in a while it seems like it will begin to turn then it stops again. Unfortunately this is my only transportation at the moment. How easy is it to pull the starter and or test it?? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks. Jeff in Nashville.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Are you sure the battery has a full charge? Even a slightly low battery will prevent the starter from turning over. I'd try a charge or a new battery before going in after the starter. -Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #3 of 16 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 8:01 pm

Course, check the battery connections.

With an 05, I'd assume the battery rather than the starter.

May be you left that little parking light on while you were at work?

Bob, 00LT

post #4 of 16 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 8:03 pm Thread Starter

Well the lights seem bright......lol

Yesterday it ran and started fine the gel battery is one year old, maybe thats what it is>> I hope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

I'll have to see, the bike is an 02, did I say 05...ooops

Well I'll give it a try and see what I can come up with. Thank you for your help. Oh yes, even the BMW deal doesn't seem to know this I have asked on three diffferent occasions. What size is the allen wrench bold under the bike, it drain the tranny fluid??? I can't get an answer from the dealer, so I thought maybe some one here might know?? Thank you

post #6 of 16 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrenga
I went out this morning to ride to work on my k1200lt, and wouldn't you know it would not start. The bike ran fine yesterday. It seems to begin to turn over then just stops. I can hold the start button down for a second or two and nothing. There is plenty of juice in the battery. But nothing when I try to turn it over. Every once in a while it seems like it will begin to turn then it stops again. Unfortunately this is my only transportation at the moment. How easy is it to pull the starter and or test it?? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks. Jeff in Nashville.
Jeff - just for grins, make sure the reverse knob is turned full forward. Bike won't start if reverse is engaged, or nearly engaged.
post #7 of 16 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

actually I thought about that.

I did have a very difficult time trying to get it to even turn into reverse, like it was stuck, but finally went in.

post #8 of 16 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 8:11 pm

Quote:
Well I'll give it a try and see what I can come up with. Thank you for your help. Oh yes, even the BMW deal doesn't seem to know this I have asked on three diffferent occasions. What size is the allen wrench bold under the bike, it drain the tranny fluid??? I can't get an answer from the dealer, so I thought maybe some one here might know?? Thank you
Tranny drain plug allen size is 14mm.
post #9 of 16 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 8:12 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for that bit, now I have to find one,

Sears don't sell it. Well, here in tenn anyway from what I can see.

post #10 of 16 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Sears don't sell it. Well, here in tenn anyway from what I can see.
Autozone sells a three pack socket set. The 14mm is the only one you need, butt the package isn't expensive anyway.
post #11 of 16 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

thanks, if it was the battery,

would the starter stay locked, when i hit the start button, the starter moves a bit then doesn't release when I let go of the button.??? just curious, god only knows I don't know.

post #12 of 16 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 10:06 pm

I had the same problem (starter sticking). Here's what worked for me, as recommended by members of the board here....

1. turn key on
2. if starter starts spinning immediately, hit the Start button a coupla times.
3. starter stops engaging (hopefully)

Rodney

2000 Canyon Red LT [I]
2005 Sportster XLCH 1200C
2006 Mongoose XR250
Make sure your Life Assurance is prayed up. Don't leave home without it.
post #13 of 16 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 6:39 am Thread Starter

thanks, but the problem is the starter

will not turn. yesterday, it turned about a half turn a few times but is not turning now.

post #14 of 16 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 11:21 am

Really sounds like a battery to me. Did you try jumping it or putting it on a charger?
post #15 of 16 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 11:40 am

Try "Rockin"

Haven't had this problem on my LT, but, if the starter is "stuck engaged" you may have luck putting her into gear and pushing her a little. Get the flywheel moving and hopefully have the starter retract.

Naturally, you've verified the on/off switch on the handlebars, you're not in gear etc

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #16 of 16 Old Jan 30th, 2008, 6:53 pm

My experience

In the summer of 2006, I left the key on, ran the battery down, tried to start it and it locked up the starter. Was able to tear the bike down enough to get something in there and bang on the starter to break it free. It worked for two weeks until I rode it to Austin for the ROT. Next day, it would not start. I tried to break it free again without success.I tried to get the starter out and found out from the dealer, it's like an 6 hour ordeal for them. You have to have alot of equipment to get to it. I carried it to Lone Star BMW. Told them the story and the guy who was really nice tried to soothe me by saying it was probably the starter relay. I had replaced the relay two weeks earlier and was 100% sure it was the starter itself....Sure enough, he called and said it wasn't the relay. Two weeks and 1500.00 dollars later...I had a new starter.....

I hope this isn't where you are headed, this was just my experience. Good Luck!

1999 K1200LT since April 2006
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Nov. 1999-April 2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in