Tire pressure monitors - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 7:53 pm Thread Starter
ajs

Tire pressure monitors

Dick- I read your post on the "air pump" thread regarding the Smartire system. I am aware of that system. The last time I talked with Smartire they advised I would have to order out of the US. The US supplier may be able to short-ship out of Vancouver to avoid customs etc. but the order has to be placed with a US supplier. Nothing wrong with that and I may end up going that route. I am concerned about the potential for damage by tire mounters should they not take the proper precautions. Largely for that reason, I am looking at the type that mounts on the valve stem. Not the plastic type but the more expensive solid construction type sensor that transmits a signal to a monitor. There is one of those manufactured out of Surrey BC but they are priced at around 350.00 US. A bit pricey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
Dick- I read your post on the "air pump" thread regarding the Smartire system. I am aware of that system. The last time I talked with Smartire they advised I would have to order out of the US. The US supplier may be able to short-ship out of Vancouver to avoid customs etc. but the order has to be placed with a US supplier. Nothing wrong with that and I may end up going that route. I am concerned about the potential for damage by tire mounters should they not take the proper precautions. Largely for that reason, I am looking at the type that mounts on the valve stem. Not the plastic type but the more expensive solid construction type sensor that transmits a signal to a monitor. There is one of those manufactured out of Surrey BC but they are priced at around 350.00 US. A bit pricey.
Hi, Austin - weird that you have to order SmarTire across the border. I think National Cycle is (maybe wuz, I haven't kept up with them) US distributor. As for the tire change thang - the kit comes with sticky labels that the SmarTire installer places on the outside of the rim near the interior sensor location. Explains that the sensors are installed and to use caution in banging around inside the rim. I think with enough of these TPMS in use (several different brands - cages and m/cs), tire mounters may have more experience handling tire changing that includes the units.

Good luck on the direction you're taking. I don't know anyone with the valve stem units.
post #3 of 30 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 10:07 pm

Canadian Tire sells something like this for about $99.00. It is made for a car so it has 4 monitors that go on the valve stems and a monitor that shows the tire pressures on each wheel. They show online for $149.00 but they occasionally go on sale for $99.00. You can find it here.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 1:00 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile No Problems

Last time I had a rear tire mounted was in Wales due to a rather large puncture. Took the wheel off and when I was in the shop explained to the tech the arrangement of the smartire sensors. He had no trouble with his machine to avoid any damage, but did appreciate the fact that I had advised him of their position. Also have a picture of the sensor which helps.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #5 of 30 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 8:07 am Thread Starter
ajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
Canadian Tire sells something like this for about $99.00. It is made for a car so it has 4 monitors that go on the valve stems and a monitor that shows the tire pressures on each wheel. They show online for $149.00 but they occasionally go on sale for $99.00. You can find it here.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

Garry
Canadian Tire had that one on sale here for 99.00 last week. I checked it out and came away with some unanswered questions about it. At the advice of their in store rep., I called their 800 number. They could not answer some of my questions so they said they would find out and get back to me. To date, I am still waiting.

The questions they couldn't answer; 1. Does the system compensate for temp. changes as the tire warms up? 2. Being a 4 wheel system, does the system continue to monitor and alarm audibly for the 2 sensors not in use?

That system signals low pressure at two levels. The store felt the first was at a 1.5 lb. drop in pressure, the second at a 3 lb. drop. They were going to confirm this and get back to me. Still waiting.
post #6 of 30 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 9:28 am

Kisan Makes a Monitor

Kisan makes a tire monitoring system for motorcycles using the sensors in the valve stems. I have yet to see the system installed or hear any reports from someone who tried it.

http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=6

Will Hedgspeth
post #7 of 30 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 11:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hi, Austin - weird that you have to order SmarTire across the border. I think National Cycle is (maybe wuz, I haven't kept up with them) US distributor. As for the tire change thang - the kit comes with sticky labels that the SmarTire installer places on the outside of the rim near the interior sensor location. Explains that the sensors are installed and to use caution in banging around inside the rim. I think with enough of these TPMS in use (several different brands - cages and m/cs), tire mounters may have more experience handling tire changing that includes the units.

Good luck on the direction you're taking. I don't know anyone with the valve stem units.
Follow up - check out Dan's post in this thread, about #3 or 4. I'd forgotten about the fact that SmartTire wuz getting out of the two-wheel systems and devoting efforts to F1 and the cage racing circuits. Glad to hear they're keeping an inventory for service. No wonder Dan has back-up sets!!!
post #8 of 30 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 12:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Austin, go on ebay. Vulcan Tire is selling their stock there. Sets are selling in the $50-60 range. I imagine these are lb/ deg. F. readout. If you want a metric readout i.e Kpa./Cent. i will swap you a readout unit. Sensors in the wheel are the same for both systems.

dan
post #9 of 30 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 8:32 pm Thread Starter
ajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
Austin, go on ebay. Vulcan Tire is selling their stock there. Sets are selling in the $50-60 range. I imagine these are lb/ deg. F. readout. If you want a metric readout i.e Kpa./Cent. i will swap you a readout unit. Sensors in the wheel are the same for both systems.

dan
I checked ebay, wasn't able to find anything relative to Vulcan Tire and tire pressure monitors. Do you have more specific information?

Thanks, Austin
post #10 of 30 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 8:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
I checked ebay, wasn't able to find anything relative to Vulcan Tire and tire pressure monitors. Do you have more specific information?

Thanks, Austin
Do a search on smartire.

step by step

go www.ebay.com
click on Buy
enter "smartire" without the quotes
3 results

dan
post #11 of 30 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 9:23 pm

Check this out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMART...em270207396347

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #12 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 7:09 am Thread Starter
ajs

[QUOTE=DanMartin]Do a search on smartire.

step by step

go www.ebay.com
click on Buy
3 results

Thanks DanMartin. I was searching for Vulcan Tire, and I got a bunch of motorcycle tires. Following your instructions, I was able to find the SmarTire item. In their shipping info. they say they will ship to the 50 states only. So I guess this is out of my reach geographically speaking.

Question: The system monitors one tire at a time. If a person had two sets would it be possible to use one monitor for the front tire and one for the rear and have both monitored at all times?

The SmarTire "Dochatley" has directed me to is on this side of the border. It's almost twice the cost of the Vulcan tire one but there is a little more time before the auction times out. The single tire monitoring is an issue for me. But, if the two monitors thought is workable, I would consider it. I would much rather consider it at the Vulcan tire price but that doesn't appear be an option.

Thanks again for your help.
Austin S.
post #13 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 7:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
Canadian Tire had that one on sale here for 99.00 last week. I checked it out and came away with some unanswered questions about it. At the advice of their in store rep., I called their 800 number. They could not answer some of my questions so they said they would find out and get back to me. To date, I am still waiting.

The questions they couldn't answer; 1. Does the system compensate for temp. changes as the tire warms up? 2. Being a 4 wheel system, does the system continue to monitor and alarm audibly for the 2 sensors not in use?

That system signals low pressure at two levels. The store felt the first was at a 1.5 lb. drop in pressure, the second at a 3 lb. drop. They were going to confirm this and get back to me. Still waiting.
Austin:

I purchased this system last year, for $99.

The customer support line was darn near useless. That said, the unit works quite well and it has made it a lot easier for me to monitor the air pressure on a consistent basis. I hate the ritual of having to getting on the ground and contort myself just to get the rear wheel valve stem cap off just to get a pressure gauge in place to check the air pressure. Reverse the process to get the valve stem cap on. Ugh!

The CTC system does work well and saves me all that agro. But, understand that the senders that fit atop the valve stem have their own internal battery and the battery not replaceable. CTC says that they will last 3 years before one has to replace the sender. If I recall correctly, CTC will sell replacement sensors at a reduced price. While it is true that you have 2 unused senders in the package, they may be viable after the first pair bites the dirt. I do not know if the power in the sender is turned on/off when pressure is applied by installing the unit on the valve stem. Ask me again in 2.75 years, when I install the 2 currently unused sensors.

I cannot answer your question about compensation as temperature increases. I suspect that it does, since the reading on a properly inflated rear tire set at 48 psi when cold, reads close to 60 psi after reaching operating temperature and the readings at "cold" seem to be a bit higher with elevated outside temps.

I do know that the unit does "look" for the 2 missing sensors but then quickly moves on to the sensors that are in place and provides a reading. When seeking a reading, one has to wait as much as 3 minutes for the unit to initially display it's finding. When I am on the road - I put on +50K km in the past 2 riding seasons - I turn the unit on, before I start cleaning the windshield for the day's ride and by the time I've started to load up the bike, I know the state of my tire pressure...all without getting grungy from that little dance that would previously precede checking tire pressure. The display unit can be hard wired into the bike but I prefer to use AA cells and keep the display unit in my tank bag. Battery life seems to be excellent. Still working the initial set.

I asked the Bridgestone rep at the last CCR for his take on this type of tire pressure monitoring system and his point of view was that anything that lets you accurately gauge tire pressure is beneficial.

I find that I am much more at ease knowing that I can easily and accurately determine tire pressure when I am about to head out for a 700 km jaunt. Since I am now able to check tire pressure with ease, I am getting splendid tire life...my last front skin (stock Bridgestone) gave me a little over 20k km AND NO CUPPING. Considering how badly we in the Great White North get ripped off on tire prices - which undoubtedly will become even more costly with $100 buck a barrel oil - the CTC solution works for me. I save money on tires and am riding safer.

Here's the bottom line from my perspective: I did not relish spending over $300 on the Smart Tire system. The CTC system at 1/3 of the cost seems to do the job, saving me money on tire replacement and providing peace of mind. I am certain that the next generation LT will have a factory provided tire pressure monitoring system in place, much like the latest RT's now have. Even if I do not spring for the next generation LT, and if I get only 3 years life out of the system before I replace it, for what amounts to $35 bucks a year, or 10 Starbucks fancy coffees, it sure works for me. Just avoiding the clean-up following a routine check is worth the cost alone!

If you have more questions, fire away or PM me.

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #14 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 7:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

[QUOTE=ajs]
Quote:
Do a search on smartire.

step by step

go www.ebay.com
click on Buy
3 results

Thanks DanMartin. I was searching for Vulcan Tire, and I got a bunch of motorcycle tires. Following your instructions, I was able to find the SmarTire item. In their shipping info. they say they will ship to the 50 states only. So I guess this is out of my reach geographically speaking.

Question: The system monitors one tire at a time. If a person had two sets would it be possible to use one monitor for the front tire and one for the rear and have both monitored at all times?

The SmarTire "Dochatley" has directed me to is on this side of the border. It's almost twice the cost of the Vulcan tire one but there is a little more time before the auction times out. The single tire monitoring is an issue for me. But, if the two monitors thought is workable, I would consider it. I would much rather consider it at the Vulcan tire price but that doesn't appear be an option.

Thanks again for your help.
Austin S.
Smartire monitors both tires. It checks tire pressure and temp every time the tire starts rolling or every 6-7 minutes while rolling.
PM me your address and I will mail you a system. Choose either metric or imperial readout. Cost to you is $60.

dan
post #15 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 7:40 am

Are you selling these systems Dan? Or is it a one off?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #16 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 7:41 am

Wow!

This is a very interesting system! I may want one too.

1985 K100RT 90k
1981 R100RT 56k miles Sold
2000 K1200LT 48k miles Sold
2003 Victory Vegas-12k miles Sold
1982 Suzuki GS550L only 299 miles Sold
1997 Yamaha Vmax-15k miles Sold
1996 Suzuki DR650-17k miles Sold
1996 R1100RT-27k miles Sold
1995 K1100LT-85k miles Sold
1982 Honda CB900F-33k mikes Sold
BMWMOA 138762[/I]
post #17 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 7:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Are you selling these systems Dan? Or is it a one off?
Not selling. Have a couple of spare systems that I will send to friends that cannot buy them easily. I will replace my spares as I need to.

dan
post #18 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 8:16 am Thread Starter
ajs

[QUOTE=DanMartin]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs

Smartire monitors both tires. It checks tire pressure and temp every time the tire starts rolling or every 6-7 minutes while rolling.
PM me your address and I will mail you a system. Choose either metric or imperial readout. Cost to you is $60.

dan
Thank you for your generous offer. I am waiting on a reply about an all wheel constant monitoring system that is a little more expensive but maybe worth the extra because of the constant monitoring.

My understanding is that the SmarTire system monitors both tires but one at a time on the push of a button. If I am wrong on this please feel free to straighten me out. In the meantime, I will get back to you later today regarding your offer.

Thanks again,
Austin S.
post #19 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 8:47 am

Is that the same unit that was selling for $200.00?

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #20 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 8:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Is that the same unit that was selling for $200.00?
Same system.
1 monitor,2 sensors,2 clamps,manuals

dan
post #21 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 8:55 am

Quote:
Same system.

dan
Thanks...I'm bidding on it. What are you doing in about 6000-8000 miles?

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #22 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 8:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

[QUOTE=ajs]
Quote:
Thank you for your generous offer. I am waiting on a reply about an all wheel constant monitoring system that is a little more expensive but maybe worth the extra because of the constant monitoring.

My understanding is that the SmarTire system monitors both tires but one at a time on the push of a button. If I am wrong on this please feel free to straighten me out. In the meantime, I will get back to you later today regarding your offer.

Thanks again,
Austin S.
Smartire is a constant monitoring system. It only displays info when starting up or pushing the button.

dan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Motorcycle%20Whitepaper.pdf (939.2 KB, 80 views)
post #23 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 8:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Thanks...I'm bidding on it. What are you doing in about 6000-8000 miles?
for you that's 3 more years,the batteries will be dead........

Why wait

dan
post #24 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 9:10 am

Talking

Austin, the SmarTire system monitors both tires all the time once the wheels are rolling. The button push will get you the instantaneous readout of both pressure and temp of both tires one after the other. If you develop a leak, or you have let your tires lose pressure over the winter the system will alert you as soon as it spins up. You will not get off your block without knowing how your tires are doing! I have had the system since the Spokane MOA Rally (2004?) and love it! The batteries in the sensors are supposed to be good for seven years I believe, so I may have to look for the next gen LT with it's own onboard system by then!!

John
[QUOTE=ajs]
Quote:

Thanks again,
Austin S.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #25 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 11:57 am Thread Starter
ajs

[QUOTE=DanMartin][QUOTE=ajs]

Thanks to you and others on this site, I now have a better understanding of how the SmarTire system works and am confident I will be happy with it. The bottom line is you have managed to convince me to relieve you of one of your imperial sets for your offer of $60.00. I will send you a pm with address details etc.

Isn't this a wonderful site!! It's people like you that make it so.

Again, many thanks.
Austin S
post #26 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 5:31 pm

Quote:
Same system.

dan
Hey Dan

I sense a group buy here. If you have extra, I'll take one off your hands.

Thanks
Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #27 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 5:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
Hey Dan

I sense a group buy here. If you have extra, I'll take one off your hands.

Thanks
Garry
Nope, 2 sets gone, down to one spare set. Keep looking on e-bay. If they pop up again I'll get more.

dan
post #28 of 30 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 10:35 pm

Hi guys I'm a newbie here so please forgive the dumb question...

Is there any detrimental effect on tire/wheel balance with the addition of these monitoring devices?

I've been thinking of the 'investment' but can't get a response to this query elsewhere.

By the way I live in Northern Thailand, anyone visiting? please call if you do..:-)
post #29 of 30 Old Jan 30th, 2008, 5:08 am

Smartire on eBay

Quote:
Nope, 2 sets gone, down to one spare set. Keep looking on e-bay. If they pop up again I'll get more.
dan
This board is an expensive hobby. I read this thread, and having thought about tire pressure monitors before, went to eBay and bought one. Threre were two listed at the time, one bidding for $49 when I looked at it, I was cautioned because the seller had been a member since 1991 but had ZERO feedback. I didn't understand that, so I did a "buy it now" from a seller with good selling feedback for about $120 including shipping. I am sure better deals are out there, but I am a little compulsive.

Today there is another one listed just like the one I bought.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/_Motorcy...fxdZ1QQ_ptasZ1

If someone wants to work on a goup buy, try talking to the online store that has this listed:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SmarT...3756.m20.l1116

The Buy it Now price is $185 but if you log in you can offer your best price and specify the number of units you want. The seller says they have 20 units available. BTW The seller of this item is "motorcycleownersclub" and also has Ohlin shocks listed.
post #30 of 30 Old Jan 30th, 2008, 5:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiangrai_peter
Hi guys I'm a newbie here so please forgive the dumb question...

Is there any detrimental effect on tire/wheel balance with the addition of these monitoring devices?

I've been thinking of the 'investment' but can't get a response to this query elsewhere.

By the way I live in Northern Thailand, anyone visiting? please call if you do..:-)
The tires do need to be rebalanced when you install the sensors. I believe they are 1.5oz. This is partially offset by the clamp and steel bridge over valve stem.

dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in