Rain-X Glass Treatment - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 6:38 pm Thread Starter

Question Rain-X Glass Treatment

Has anyone used Rain-X Glass Treatment on the LT? I have a ZTechnik and sometimes with fog, mist and engine heat it gets all "steamed up". I was hoping that this would help.
And no, I can't look over the screen, it's too tall.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 7:03 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

I tried it but didn't notice any difference.
I have a stock windscreen (that I look over most times) so not sure how it will work on the ZTek version. Have a buddy who uses it on his Yamaha Venture windshield and he swears by the stuff.
Keir
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 7:12 pm

I have tried rain-x and it did nothing to help. The wind on the front of the screen generally does not cary it off very well-I don't know why, and water on the back of the screen just sits there in big drops making things worse.
Works great on the car thou. Maybe it needs to be on glass-harder/smoother surface....?

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 7:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Rain-X can damage a plastic (loose term here). In fact when I got my LT, the prior owner gave me a deep discount on another that he had ordered to replace the OEM that had been severely damaged by Rain-X.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 11 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Rain-X can damage a plastic (loose term here). In fact when I got my LT, the prior owner gave me a deep discount on another that he had ordered to replace the OEM that had been severely damaged by Rain-X.

Couple of years ago I used Rain X on a OEM windshield and damage the windshield, damaging the protective coating. Some windshield will state that you can use the rain X.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 7:24 pm

You must use a rain X for plastic( hard to find) or you will dull the finish on the plastic. We use it on the plastic w/shields on Yachts.
Capt Bob
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 3:18 am

I have used it on my ztechnic for 2 years - no problems
I also use it on my visors
Great product - but loads of people will say it fogs or yellows your plastic
Never has for me.
Used it on my ST1100 screen for 9 years!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #8 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 4:39 am

Plexus

I have been using Plexus on my windshield and facesheilds for several years with good results.

I RainX works well on glass car windshields but I have heard reports that it made things works on non-glass shields.
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 5:21 am

I've used it

Rain-X is wonderful. I've used it on EVERY thing I look through! LOVE IT! Here in Florida where sometimes it rains daily the use of rain-X is the difference between seeing the road or not! Of course I garage everything I've own, not sure if that would make a difference. I have also used Plexus and like it as well for a quick clean and shine but swear by rain-x! My experiance is that rain-x is a product that seems to only get better the longer you use it.
My $.02 worth.
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 6:08 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
I have been using Plexus on my windshield and facesheilds for several years with good results.

I RainX works well on glass car windshields but I have heard reports that it made things works on non-glass shields.
Another vote for Plexus here .. Been using it for a couple years with great results

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 7:59 am

I haven't used RAINX since it trashed a windscreen on my GW about 15 years ago. I would suggest that if you want to use RAINX that you purchase the material that is specially formulated for use on plastic. If you read the label on the standard material sold in auto parts stores you'll find that it specifically states that it should not be used on plastic windshields.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in