Is the LT a heat machine in the summer?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

Is the LT a heat machine in the summer??

I live in central Florida where the temps usually stay in the 80's except for a few week cooler period. My question to you: Is the LT a heat machine?? My only reference is my 95 K1100LT that you could roast your peanuts on(please excuse this graphic reference). I was never so happy(and sad) to see a bike go. It was simply not enjoyable to ride because of the heat. The R1100Rt was much much cooler! I do understand the difference between the Boxer and the Brick so I'm not that new, I am just asking if the LT has improved to a acceptable hot weather machine??
Thank you for your replies.....
Hip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 5:37 pm

For what it's worth, I think that the LT is pretty reasonable in the warm weather with the windshield all the way down and the wings turned in. It has a lot of protection for the cooler weather, though you don't really care about that!

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #3 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 5:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The only time I have felt the heat is when I don't wear pants under my mesh gear. And at 99 degrees, 95 % humidity it wasn't that bad. I wore long socks and LD comfort shorts only under my first gear meshtex pants on the trip up to Wisconson last year and I did notice a bit of heat but it was not unpleasant. I don't even notice it if I have jeans on under the mesh gear.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 5:45 pm

I bought my 05 LT at Daytona BMW when I lived in Cocoa and found it much more comfortable in the summer than the RoadGlide I traded in on it. I now live in Utah and the LT is comfy in the summer and pure joy in the cooler months. Not related, but the LT is really amazing in the canyons and mountain roads. I also have a sport bike and a dual purpose but am always amazed when I get back on the LT and remind myself what a great bike it is.
post #5 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 5:49 pm

Not at all! Gets pretty warm here Rode to Monterey Ca. last summer and went through Death Valley and Phoenix @ noon/110+ deg. 2-up and wasn't to bad Locally its not even a thought

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #6 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 6:14 pm

The LT is one of the best bikes out there for keeping engine heat off the rider. So much so that in winter one would wish that some of it could easily be funneled back onto the rider. I would sometimes stick my knees out in cold weather to be able to feel a little of the heat from the radiators on the inside of my lower legs. Otherwise it just blows around you.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
The LT is one of the best bikes out there for keeping engine heat off the rider. So much so that in winter one would wish that some of it could easily be funneled back onto the rider. I would sometimes stick my knees out in cold weather to be able to feel a little of the heat from the radiators on the inside of my lower legs. Otherwise it just blows around you.
After a weekend of riding with my Coast Guard friend and his FLHTCUI (HD Bagger) at every stop he was complaining about the engine heat coming up and around his legs, I was nice and comfortable on my 03 LT. I find it much cooler and a joy over my 97 FXD.
Loving every minute of it!
Heck, I don't even mind taking off the plastic anymore!
post #8 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 6:45 pm

One thing that sold me on the LT was how much cooler it was than a wing; HD was a non-issue for me (they proved to me I should never buy another HD).

I test rode a wing when it was only in the upper 90sF in stop and go--it roasted my left boot. That was one of the reasons I chose the LT over the wing.

Bob, 00LT
post #9 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 6:48 pm
Banned

I remember when the full fairing K bikes first came out. The heat was unbearable.

The LT runs pretty cool in the Houston summers. If it runs a little hot for your taste, try some synthetic motor oil and propylene glycol coolant. Both lowered the temps a little for me.
post #10 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 7:11 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

LT's Ice Cold compared to some

I have never had anything hotter between my legs .... and I mean EVER -- than a 2007 Harley Ultra-Glide in traffic on a hot day. Thank goodness it was a rental and I could drop it back to the dealer.
If you prefer to not make a "relative to" comparison -- there is very little engine heat hitting the LT driver ........ almost imperceptible.
Keir
post #11 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 7:11 pm Thread Starter

Thank you!

I am sooooo glad that the group of you agree that the LT is also good in the summer. My old K11LT would roast you! Thank you for the replies! I'm gonna buy this 2000 LT if the test ride goes well. I have a couple friends that bought the 06/07 HD and had to buy the heat deflectors to keep some of the heat off the inner thighs. I think the HD is interesting but just not for me. I really enjoy the 30 min wash and dry time over my buddies that spend 1-2 hrs cleaning and polishing all the bling and cringe at every puddle. I will be happy to be on another Beemer and hopefully the LT will live up to my expectations!
Thanks again,
Hip
post #12 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 7:23 pm

No.................................

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #13 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 8:13 pm

No...

Unless your prankster friends turn on the seat.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #14 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 8:25 pm
KIC

In Southern Arizona it can get just a tad hot. Not covering your seat during the day can definitely cause a little discomfort and making sure your seat heater is off helps too ! Experience talking here. But air movement while riding is as good as it can get.

Haven't figured out how the factory A/C works yet but everything else on the bike does.

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #15 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Cooler than most!

My pre-LT ride was a HD FLHTC (Classic). When you would stop, the heat would broil you. I once rode a Valkerie which did the same ALL THE TIME! I couldn't wait to get off that toaster!

'08 Goldwing Comfort/GPS
'03 Silver LT
'93 Harley FLHTC
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'59 Excelsior
'60 Cushman Super Eagle (for my paper route)
Reg Gosnell
Cypress, TX
post #16 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip001
I live in central Florida where the temps usually stay in the 80's except for a few week cooler period. My question to you: Is the LT a heat machine?? My only reference is my 95 K1100LT that you could roast your peanuts on(please excuse this graphic reference). I was never so happy(and sad) to see a bike go. It was simply not enjoyable to ride because of the heat. The R1100Rt was much much cooler! I do understand the difference between the Boxer and the Brick so I'm not that new, I am just asking if the LT has improved to a acceptable hot weather machine??
Thank you for your replies.....
Hip
I ride year around in Arizona. No heat problems. a lot better than wing, HD and Victory Vision.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #17 of 45 Old Jan 27th, 2008, 10:25 pm

I love my 1100, but it gets a bit hot when it is above 80. There is no engine heat at all from the 1200 compared to the 1100.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #18 of 45 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 7:30 am

When I bought my LT last year, I also took a test drive on a Goldwing. The LT passed on very little heat compared to the wing. I also added a beadrider seat cover that helps keeps me cooler.

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #19 of 45 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 11:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Another 'Zonie here. Any heat from the LT is directed away out to the side away from the rider.

I was stuck in traffic in Spokane WA a couple of years ago on a 99 F day when two HD's pulled up, one on each side, at a light. They proceeded to yell at each other about how hot it must be to be wearing winter clothes (ATGATT) on a day like this. I was thinking it's not too bad, hope you guys don't figure out where all my engine heat is being blown.

Motor On ,/'

post #20 of 45 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 11:54 am

Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkclark
I have never had anything hotter between my legs .... and I mean EVER -- than a 2007 Harley Ultra-Glide in traffic on a hot day. Thank goodness it was a rental and I could drop it back to the dealer.
If you prefer to not make a "relative to" comparison -- there is very little engine heat hitting the LT driver ........ almost imperceptible.
Keir
I've had the exact opposite experience. I found the Electra Glide Classic I rode for several days in 100+ temperatures to be much more comfortable than my 1200. I am always thankful that the previous owner put the J-Pegs on it so that I can get my legs up out of the heat. The heat is appreciated in cold weather to be sure, but I do all my non-commuting riding in the summer.
post #21 of 45 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 12:37 pm

Sit down, this'll take a minute.

Last summer we took our first long trip on the LT. Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana. You know, it's hot down here in the summer anyway, but OMG, thought we were going to die from the heat we were soaking up from this machine!

Poor wife was sweating on the back seat. Putting a towel down helped but it seemed Godawful hot. Then, on one sultry night while camping out in Louisiana at a Hampton Inn, I got bored and was flipping through the owner's manual. You've got to be kidding me... I had BOTH seat heater switches flipped to the forward position instead of the middle position (off). EUREKA! Flipped them dern switches to OFF and the next two July days were lovely on the LT.

So no, the LT is not a hotty in the summer, unless you make it so.
post #22 of 45 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 1:20 pm

Talking

Yes the LT is a heat machine...! I bagged every woman who rode back there with me...
Sorry, I did not have the strength to resist...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #23 of 45 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 4:16 pm

So, I take it you ride solo then, huh?
post #24 of 45 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 4:28 pm

Talking

If you say so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ed
So, I take it you ride solo then, huh?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #25 of 45 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 4:36 pm

Riding back from CCR through AZ last September with Kathy we hit 115F...

Then it got worse... (Yes, it did! ). At the AZ/CA border traffic was stopped for inspection... in the hot sun, no shade in sight. It took 20 minutes in hot He11 before we got on our way again. We had to hit the first gas station to cool off and re-hydrate...! I think that was the worst part of an otherwise great trip. I must say the LT does a very good job at keeping the engine heat away from rider and pillion, even when stopped and with no air-flow.
Doug did the smart thing and travelled way early in the day before the temp got too high on his way back to La Quinta.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #26 of 45 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 6:24 pm

The radiator vents on both of the side-fairings do a great job of deflecting engine-heated air away from your legs...just keep your knees close to the bike. On cold days you can do just the opposite to enjoy a warm-up on the knees and shins. Buy the LT, you will thoroughly enjoy it.
post #27 of 45 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 8:38 pm

Garage
I've ridden my LT at 113F, but I haven't had any problems with engine heat. The LT blows the engine heat outside of where my legs are -- I can reach my hand out there on a cold day and warm them up if I want to.

I rented a GW in Florida last year and one of the things that bothered me was the amount of engine heat I was hit with.

Alan
Garden Grove, CA

'07 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (97k miles)
'08 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (76k miles and climbing)

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well - that comes from poor judgment." -A.A. Milne

post #28 of 45 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 10:01 pm

The Sportster gets to stay in the shade (in the garage) any time the temp is over 90°.

The LT does a superb job of shunting the heat around the rider, just keep the legs tucked inside away from the air flow. In the cool weather, the vents are a good place to warm hands as well as legs.

Rodney

2000 Canyon Red LT [I]
2005 Sportster XLCH 1200C
2006 Mongoose XR250
Make sure your Life Assurance is prayed up. Don't leave home without it.
post #29 of 45 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 10:52 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Hip the LT does get warm in the summer but nothing like my other bikes.
Good luck.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #30 of 45 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 7:27 am Thread Starter

Awesome!

I had no Idea that this would get so many replies!
Thank you so much!!!!
I hope to buy it this week! I'm starting to get like a kid before Christmas!!
This seems like to be a great group to be associated with!

Anybody wanna buy a Pristine Yamaha V-Max??

1985 K100RT 90k
1981 R100RT 56k miles Sold
2000 K1200LT 48k miles Sold
2003 Victory Vegas-12k miles Sold
1982 Suzuki GS550L only 299 miles Sold
1997 Yamaha Vmax-15k miles Sold
1996 Suzuki DR650-17k miles Sold
1996 R1100RT-27k miles Sold
1995 K1100LT-85k miles Sold
1982 Honda CB900F-33k mikes Sold
BMWMOA 138762[/I]
post #31 of 45 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 9:27 am

Our first LT saw 106F in Wolf Point, MT, on our first long trip. The BC said 107 later that day, but 106 was confirmed by 2 banks in town. We did have Aerostich Evap-o-Danas on, also, but ride was still tolerable without them. The adjustable wings made quite a difference from our former ride!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #32 of 45 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 12:16 pm Thread Starter

Taylor,
Adjustable wings? You mean the ones under the mrrors or some optional set like on a goldwing?

1985 K100RT 90k
BMWMOA 138762[/I]
post #33 of 45 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 12:30 pm

the ones under the mirrors...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #34 of 45 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 1:44 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all so much! I hope to have mine next week! WooHoo!!!!!

1985 K100RT 90k
BMWMOA 138762[/I]
post #35 of 45 Old Jan 29th, 2008, 6:17 pm

I live about 45 min South of you and I find the LT perfect for the type of riding I do all year around.
Dave

Dave Fuchs
2005 K1200LT
2001 R1200C (wife's)
1985 KLR 250
2002 John Deere 4110
1946 Piper J-3
IBA# 42191
post #36 of 45 Old Jan 30th, 2008, 1:15 am

Cool heat; passenger

I dont think my wife has even complained of engine heat either. but then again, it's a "dry heat" l.o.l.

05' Ocean Blue
Albuquerque, NM
post #37 of 45 Old Jan 30th, 2008, 6:50 am Thread Starter

Dave,
I'll be riding down there soon! There is a great lil Taco stand there by the park(or baseball field) that my girl and I go to every time we're down that way. I'd like to see that plane and that Deer!
Jim,
That's good to know.

1985 K100RT 90k
BMWMOA 138762[/I]
post #38 of 45 Old Jan 30th, 2008, 7:11 am

Not the heat - It's the humidity

Naaaaaaa, I ride it all year long and it does get hot in the summer, but it's not from the bike. Sun and road! As some have said, it would be nice if you could re-channel the heat off of the engine in the winter to blow straight back. It's a shame to waste it. I know that with some minor modifications it could be done. but like a lot of things, It's not that important to me and won't get done.

Speaking of the heated seat, does anyone know why the controls are on the RIGHT side of the bike? Hard to turn off or adjust while riding. Seems like it would have been so easy to have placed them on the LEFT, and safer too.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #39 of 45 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 5:13 pm

Not the bike giving off the heat

Most of the time the asphalt on a hot day gives off the heat.
I get nothing from the bike. On hot days I been using on of the cooler vests. They work well on hot days on the road.

Brian Hubbard

2005 RT Dark Grey

Carpe Diem
post #40 of 45 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 5:27 pm

2005 1200LT and a 2000 R1100RT at 100 degF - was unaware of engine heat, but I shut it down, park and push when waiting for jammed things like customs etc.
post #41 of 45 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

Dano,
Kind of off subject but how do I get dive gear loaded on the LT for a trip to Key Largo?? Gotta be a way!!

1985 K100RT 90k
BMWMOA 138762[/I]
post #42 of 45 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 8:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Heat?

The LT is probably the "Coolest" Bike I have ever owned... in more ways than one. When it is 90+ degrees and you are in traffic, anything will be hot especially if you are ATGATT, but the LT is probably as good as it gets for protecting you from excessive engine heat.

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #43 of 45 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 8:34 pm

no problem

Quote:
My only reference is my 95 K1100LT that you could roast your peanuts on(please excuse this graphic reference).
We have a '93 K1100LT in our stable, and we agree that it is a hot machine to ride. Of course, up here in the north country, that can be a good thing at times! The 1200LT is nothing like the 1100 when it comes to roasting your peanuts!

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #44 of 45 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 9:30 pm

Lots of room on the passinger seat

Quote:
Dano,
Kind of off subject but how do I get dive gear loaded on the LT for a trip to Key Largo?? Gotta be a way!!
I've never taken a dive trip that far, but occasionally I need to take the gear to St. Petersburg for pool tests (30+miles away) and I just put everything in a gear bag and strap it to the passenger seat. Everything but tanks!

SUV works better for dive trips......... or pull a trailer.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #45 of 45 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

I picked up my K12LT Fiday night. I LOVE it! We rode up US1 toward Daytona. Stopped at the "First Turn" for dinner(Great food and a really cool place with lots of Nascar stuff on the walls!). 60ish was the temp tonight. Had the heated grips on and layered on clothes! I was actually cold on the way there but was ok on the way back. Rode back on I95 with cruise set at 85. I kicked it in a couple of times and niticed a buzzing in the bike around 100 but every speed under that was smooth as silk! Hoping to ride to Mt Dora to the Art Fest In the morning and be back before kick off.
Thank you so much for all the replies!
Hip!

1985 K100RT 90k
BMWMOA 138762[/I]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in