Planning trip from Phoenix to Mexico- which border crossings? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

Planning trip from Phoenix to Mexico- which border crossings?

My wife and I are making a trip on the LT in mid February from Phoenix to the Baja, crossing at Tecate and from La Paz to Mazatlan, eventually spending a couple of weeks in San Carlos.

One the return leg to Phoenix we want to hit Tombstone before returning to Phoenix. Trying to decide if we should cross back over at Nogales or Douglas? We crossed at Nogales by bus last year it's a pretty crappy looking place. Is Douglas any worse/better?

Any other suggestions for scenic routes on the trip?

Dave B
Calgary, Alberta
08 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 1:27 pm

Check out THIS site - lots of useful info

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 6:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbroughton
My wife and I are making a trip on the LT in mid February from Phoenix to the Baja, crossing at Tecate and from La Paz to Mazatlan, eventually spending a couple of weeks in San Carlos.

One the return leg to Phoenix we want to hit Tombstone before returning to Phoenix. Trying to decide if we should cross back over at Nogales or Douglas? We crossed at Nogales by bus last year it's a pretty crappy looking place. Is Douglas any worse/better?

Just last week I entered thru Calexico and returned from Tecate. Both were fine.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 6:35 pm
KIC

Quote:

djbroughton,

Don't know how long it has been since your last trip through Nogales. Coming up from San Carlos there are newer "toll" roads that can take you right up to the border. If you want to miss Nogales, Mexico you stay on the toll roads and cross at the new commercial border entry that will bring you out just a hair west of Nogales, Arizona.

I can get you specific directions/instructions but if you ride through the outer edge of Nogales, Arizona and take Arizona 82/East Patagonia Road. Follow that to Sonoita, Arizona.

Gas up, great food at the restaurant next to the gas station and take some time to check out the wineries around the area. They have some great wine. Head up 82 to 80 and then you go east to Tombstone. Or.. you can cut down 90 through Sierra Vista, Arizona and then back up to Tombstone.

The ride on 82 is one we all occasionally take just because of the scenery.

I can PM you with a word document containing a map showing the route above.

Good luck with your trip if you need anything else while your down this way let me know.

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Douglas AZ, US Entrance- is easy

Done it a couple of times. No long lines but it is your typical poor Mexican village. Don't forget to get Mexican Vehicle insurance, emergency medical insurance, a Visa entering Mexico, your USA Passport and Montezuma's Revenge medicine, even the bottled water may be tap.

"A bad day riding is better than the best day at work."
2000 LT Icon (For 2 up rides)

1998 Yamaha Virago 1100 (New to me Jan. 08)
1991 Suzuki GSX1100G ST (Retired at 97.4k miles)
1992 Suzuki GSX1100G (Replacement for 91)
2000 Suzuki DRZ400S (For City and Desert)
2007 Honda Accord (Meaning no more US engineered cars)
And 18 other bikes, 300,000+ miles, 43+ years riding experience
Retired Engineer, Sales and Maintenance Manager(s)
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

Baja trip- Camping?

Thanks for the replies. We're now thinking of spending more time in Baja before taking the ferry to the mainland.

Has anyone had recent experience with beach camping in Baja? Is it worth hauling the camping gear with us? Can you get an LT close enough to your campsite for security?

Dave B
Calgary, Alberta
08 R1200RT
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 5:37 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:

I've crossed at Douglas before. It was fine. There is a very cool hotel there that's supposed to be haunted. Didn't see any ghosts, but the rooms were nice

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #8 of 8 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 5:44 pm

I had some friends drive back to Tucson in their car from San Carlos last week and crossed at Nogales - they waited 5 hours.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in