how to adjust handlebar height on LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 7:05 pm Thread Starter

how to adjust handlebar height on LT

The handlebars on my 2000 LT hit the tank on a tight turn.....Im thinking that they must be adjustable for height. Can someone refer me to a link to the procedure? I've got the handlebar covers off,...trying to remove the cover around the ignition switch,.....have the four screws off....but it doesn't want to come off.......Im guessing that the plastic around the radio area must all come off before the piece around the ignition switch will come off.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 7:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider
The handlebars on my 2000 LT hit the tank on a tight turn.....Im thinking that they must be adjustable for height. Can someone refer me to a link to the procedure? I've got the handlebar covers off,...trying to remove the cover around the ignition switch,.....have the four screws off....but it doesn't want to come off.......Im guessing that the plastic around the radio area must all come off before the piece around the ignition switch will come off.

Brian
Click here and scroll down for the FAQ on how to adjust the handlebars.

I'm not liking the fact that your handlebars touch the tank in a turn. Touching a tankbag, maybe, butt not the tank itself. My understanding wuz that the handlebar adjustment procedure is only for 'raising' the bars slightly; not lowering. I believe I'd drop by Lone Star and ask Mike G. if he has seen any LTs that evidence the bars hitting the tank.

And I do believe you have to remove the radio stingray in order to remove the surround of the ignition switch - or at least move the stingray back some toward the seats.
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 9:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Click here and scroll down for the FAQ on how to adjust the handlebars.

I'm not liking the fact that your handlebars touch the tank in a turn. Touching a tankbag, maybe, butt not the tank itself. My understanding wuz that the handlebar adjustment procedure is only for 'raising' the bars slightly; not lowering. I believe I'd drop by Lone Star and ask Mike G. if he has seen any LTs that evidence the bars hitting the tank.

And I do believe you have to remove the radio stingray in order to remove the surround of the ignition switch - or at least move the stingray back some toward the seats.
Dick is right on and I would add to scribe or mark with white-out where they were prior to adjusting. You can only change the angle not the heigth.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 10:38 am
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Dick is right on and I would add to scribe or mark with white-out where they were prior to adjusting. You can only change the angle not the heigth.
Huh "You can only change the angle not the heighth"

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 1:50 pm

The handle bars rotate in their clamps.

I think some one would have to modify the plastic handle bar covers to lower them enough for the clutch-brake levers to hit the tank.

First time I've ever seen mention of this.

Bob
post #6 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 2:40 pm Thread Starter

Am I missing something....or.....Won't changing the angle change the height at the control end??

Brian
post #7 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 2:54 pm

Sure will.
My guess is that some wally has strapped the bike down on a trailer and used the bars as a tie down point - that would move the bars down alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider
Am I missing something....or.....Won't changing the angle change the height at the control end??

Brian

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #8 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Smile

When I initially got my 2000 KLT the bars became depressed after I had my first experience with it picking it back up after it tipped over as a result of putting my foot down into an unexpected low spot in the asphalt in a parking space. Surprise! The bars were loose since I could move them up or down maybe a half inch with an easy jerk. As I remember, the bar ends were too close to the tank may have even hit it. The fix for this takes time as some tupperware and the radio stingray must be removed. The screws were definitly under torqued when I finally got to the point that they could be tightened. The plastic pieces that clamshell around the bars will only go back on if the bars are pretty much at the "factory" setting, not alot of wiggle room. Best of luck with your wrenching.
Terry
post #9 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 9:37 pm

Be careful on how high you raise them. I raised mine up tp the point of fighting to get the covers back on. Once on, they felt good but it made the input very twitchy. I did not think this would be a problem until I hit the highway. Every truck or side wind made me feel like the bike was going to dart off the road. I found I was having to lift on the opposite bar to turn and not push as normal. Very strange sensation.
post #10 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. I just want to raise them to a more natural position,...both blinker control levers hit the fuel tank on hard turns prevent the front wheel from making a full turn in either direction.

Brian

post #11 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

I think your right about the bars being low because the bike was tied down by the bars. When I bought it both mirrors were off the bike and the left side blinker lever was broken with a sizable paint gouge on the left side of the tank area.....Im guessing the bike was dropped at some point prior to my owning it and probably trailered by someone who didn't have any idea how to tie it down.

Not many convenient tie down spots on an LT. I ended up wrapping tie down straps around the front fork sliders just above the fender,...then lifted the seat to lash onto the frame tubes under the seat for the back of the bike...........I left the bike on its side stand to give a bit of stability.

Brian in Austin

post #12 of 14 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 6:29 am Thread Starter

update

Finally got around to completing the handlebar adjustment. With the bike on its centerstand, handlebar height was about 41" measured at the top of the grip. Now is about 44" and all the plastic fit perfectly. rode it this afternoon and now feels like a BMW .....previously felt like I was trying to ride a garden tiller.

Brian

post #13 of 14 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Re: how to adjust handlebar height on LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Sure will.
My guess is that some wally has strapped the bike down on a trailer and used the bars as a tie down point - that would move the bars down alright
OK, I am adding this only to clear up what happens when you "Rotate" the bars as opposed to "raise" them. The "distance" from the hand-grip & controls to the rider will change more dramatically by merely "rotating" the bars (get farther or closer depending if you go UP or DOWN). Sorry for the confusion.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #14 of 14 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

Re: how to adjust handlebar height on LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
OK, I am adding this only to clear up what happens when you "Rotate" the bars as opposed to "raise" them. The "distance" from the hand-grip & controls to the rider will change more dramatically by merely "rotating" the bars (get farther or closer depending if you go UP or DOWN). Sorry for the confusion.
Yeah, THAT really clears things up!

Can you say...............HUH?

BC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in