Covering a 1200LT on an open trailer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

Covering a 1200LT on an open trailer

Any advice on how to cover a 1200LT while hauling on a dual open trailer?
In the next few weeks I will be picking up a 2005 in Los Angeles and have to haul it 750 miles, the last 250 miles being through possible snow, slush, salt and sanded roads. I am purchasing the trailer in LA and it stows vertically in my garage. I know that I should buy an enclosed trailer, but space prohibits me from storing a large enclosed trailer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 1:14 pm

I wouldn't cover it but I would rig up a shield for the front of the trailer or buy one with the trailer. I would take the mirrows off and the windshield then give it a good bath when you get it home.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 1:22 pm

... spray it down with a good "anti-corrosive" before the trip... wash upon arrival... otherwise, just put a 3/4 sheet of plywood in front and "let 'er rip".

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 2:00 pm

I've used one of these over several trips across Canada and down to Arizona. http://www.gezagear.com/

While they are not moisture proof, they do keep the worst of the grit off. I also have a 24" high shield in front which helps some.

You do get much better gas mileage with an open trailer which might be a small consolation while you clean up your bike afterwards .

Yiet
2007 R1200GSA
post #5 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 4:22 pm

I would not cover it! It doesn't matter what type of cover you purchase, dirt will get up underneath and it will act like sand paper to the finish of your bike. As others have said take the mirrors off and give a good wash when you get it home.
post #6 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 6:50 pm

... and depending on your choice of attachment points on the bike and tie-down points on the trailer, your straps may interfere with getting a tight & snug fit of the Geza Gear stretchable cover on the bike.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #7 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 7:32 pm

some of us ride in bad weather all the time. It will not hurt the bike at all. Like others have said, Take the mirrors off and wash it when you get home. 750 miles is just a short day trip. No offense to my California brothers, But the smog of La maybe your worst problem. Oh yeah, Welcome to our little slice of heaven. Enjoy your new ride and see you at CCR this year.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 9:40 pm

Find a warehouse where you know someone and shrink wrap the whole damn thing It'll be fine

Mike-

I am serious.
post #9 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 9:51 pm

Towed mine behind a motor home all over the country. At first I covered it with a Geza cover, its counter-productive it just traps dirt and moisture. Just give a nice bath with lots of low pressure water on the other end and everything is fine.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #10 of 14 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 7:31 am

Everyone's covered the cover issue. Now - the important part - find and buy some "short" soft ties at a harley dealer - use the search feature on this site on how to use them. You need 4. short because the long ones are sometimes too long. Also, you need the stronger, wider ratcheting tie downs - don't use the narrower spring loaded ones marked "motorcycle tie downs", they are for dirt bikes. You've got a very heavy bike - nothing worse than looking in mirror and seeing it on it's side.

Even with a 24" shield on a trailer, the windshield is at risk to flying stones..
If possible, why not leave it in storage, till the roads are clearer?

Steamboat John
Magnesium Black 2006 K1200LT

Honda Ridgeline
Dean Ti 29r Mtn bike with XTR group
Dean Ti Road Bike with Dura Ace group
post #11 of 14 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 8:49 am

Never had a windshield issue either. Just left in in the lowest position. I think taking it off will expose the instruments, radio, etc. more.

Make sure that the vehicle you tow with has mud flaps, and no tire spinning...

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #12 of 14 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

Thank all of you for great suggestions.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I really appreciate the suggestion. we will consider all of them and let you know what worked (or didn't) for us.
Mike
post #13 of 14 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 2:57 pm

Towed mine to Big Bend last July.

No problem with it tied down per instruction from this site. Washed it when we got to the motel. They even supplied the soap and towels to dry it, the hotel, had all the wash materials there all week.

Did have a problem on the way home ran over a ground hog with the rear wheel of my tahoe and the left wheel of the trailer. Some blood and guts on side of bike ,it was down low, took a little more soap and elbow grease to get it off.

Have a safe drive.
post #14 of 14 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Have towed mine in the bed of my pickup behind the motorhome uncovered from Michigan to Florida in inclement weather. Just a good bath on arrival and everything is fine.

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in