Broken Shift Linkage???? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 8:54 am Thread Starter

Cool Broken Shift Linkage????

Need some opinions here: the beast fell over during a snow storm and the shifter is bent somewhat. I have neutral and first gear, but nothing beyond that. Could I have broken the linkage?

Thanks folks.

Tim Hustead
Sea Marshal, U.S. Coast Guard
Sector Seattle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 8:59 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you can do first and neutral it is not broken but may be bent. Remove the lower tupperware and the foot plate to take a look. Take a look in the Files, Technical section for "Shift Linkage Tidbits" for more info.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 9:08 am

Look at it REAL careful.

I've been lucky (no linkage breaks), but others not so.

When you straighten the linkage get yourself some magnification and make sure you didn't crack it.

Good Luck

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 9:03 pm

Wink

Tim, be real careful if you try to re-bend the shift lever. They can break easily. If you have a problem with a broken lever and need a loaner PM me. I have one you can use if needed until you can purchase a new one. Of course if your not riding as much this time of year I guess waiting on parts is not too much of a problem, eh?

From a fellow Coastie just to your south,

Semper Paratus!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

John

Hey Coastie - thanks so much for your offer. I'm going to tear into it tomorrow; hopefully I won't see too much of a problem. South Sound BMW and Ride West are w/in an hour of me and if needed I will go there for a replacement part.

Tim Hustead
Sector Seattle
post #6 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 9:34 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMarshal
Hey Coastie - thanks so much for your offer. I'm going to tear into it tomorrow; hopefully I won't see too much of a problem. South Sound BMW and Ride West are w/in an hour of me and if needed I will go there for a replacement part.
No sweat Tim, that's exactly what this community is all about! Don't hesitate to contact any of us NW members if you find yourself in a fix with the LT since we have quite a bit of experience in taking them apart and successfully getting them back together again! In fact you have an excellent LT tech much closer to your area than us Oregon riders: Brian. If you can catch him between his work and his riding that is!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #7 of 18 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 10:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
No sweat Tim, that's exactly what this community is all about! Don't hesitate to contact any of us NW members if you find yourself in a fix with the LT since we have quite a bit of experience in taking them apart and successfully getting them back together again! In fact you have an excellent LT tech much closer to your area than us Oregon riders: Brian. If you can catch him between his work and his riding that is!

John
Tim is a fine mech. Seen him in action at one of our tech sessions. I would gladly assist you if needed when I get back. I am heading out to NM at 6am and should be back by tuesday. I had a spare linkage I kept with the bike. Unfortenately I gave it to the new owner. It does sound like it may have bent a little.All the above advice is good. I would buy an aftermarket replacement and keep your old one as a spare. I recently saw them advertised either here in the classified or ebay. The manufacturer is one of us here at this site. We have not had a tech session in awhile. I think we are about due.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 18 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 1:08 am

Just drive it in first redline the piss out of it. I hear the motors run best at those rpm's

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #9 of 18 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 6:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabrown
Just drive it in first redline the piss out of it. I hear the motors run best at those rpm's
He would never reach redline stuck in the Seattle traffic

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 7:29 am
Banned

I carry a spare linkage with me. I've seen two on other bikes break while on the road. I travel into Mexico at least once a year and feel better carrying it with me. Doesn't cost much, or take up much room, and has been great insurance so far!
post #11 of 18 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 10:07 am

Try Phil Johnson directly via e-mail at [email protected]. I bought his shift linkage kits for my 99, 03, and 05. Be sure to specify the year of your bike as the 05 and newer are different.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 18 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:36 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Linkage

I pulled the cover and the linkage did not appear to be broken nor bent; I lubed them well with white (marine grade) grease. The shifter did not appear be be too out of shape. I put it all back together and still nothing beyond 1st gear.

I've an appointment with the tow truck on Saturday to take it down to Sound Sound BMW. I suspect they will tell me to replace the shifter ($183!!!); who knows what else?

I should have left it in the garage when I heard that snow was possible... Too bad I'm not a Harley guy, they mostly see the sun and blue sky.

Tim Hustead
Sector Seattle
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 12:20 am

Tim I can come over and take a look at it in the morning. Maybe we can figure it out. Give me a call after 8.
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 10:59 am

Shifter

Tim,
While you had it apart, you should be able to go in and shift the shaft bypassing all of the linkage stuff. If it still won't shift into 2nd, then it's bad.
Hard to figure how that would happen?
larry
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 11:55 am
BDC

Tim

It isnt' clear whether you have tried to engage second gear with the engine running. If your linkage is OK but it won't select with the engine running you may have a problem.

If however you have not started the engine since the bike fell over try this......

put the bike on the main stand and turn the rear wheel by hand whilst firmly engaging second and higher gears. If doing it like this don't bother using the clutch. If everything is OK the gear will snick into place.

Without the engine running in order to select gears you need to get the shafts turning in the transmission. Turning the rear wheel does this for you and allows you to select.

Even with the engine running sometimes it can be difficult to select first gear. The solution is to either roll forwards slightly and retry or to release the clutch lever slightly as you engage.

Chris
post #16 of 18 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

Red face Figured it out

Good ole 'Preston Bill' came over and we figured it out.....

The shifter is bent and the chrome plate is cracked. Hopefully the Boneyard or Tony (Deputy 5211) will have something.

I'm thankful the tranny wasn't FUBAR.

Thanks for all of the great advice guys.

Tim Hustead
Sector Seattle
post #17 of 18 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 5:34 pm

Cool

Depending on how bad the plate itself is, the shift lever can be replaced separately. Just be real careful if you decide to try and straighten out a bent one! I know I'm repeating myself here, but they do break easy. I still have that spare down here in case you can't find another one Tim.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMarshal
Good ole 'Preston Bill' came over and we figured it out.....

The shifter is bent and the chrome plate is cracked. Hopefully the Boneyard or Tony (Deputy 5211) will have something.

I'm thankful the tranny wasn't FUBAR.

Thanks for all of the great advice guys.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #18 of 18 Old Jan 26th, 2008, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

Replacement Parts

Hi John - I appreciate the offer!

Originally I was going to order the parts from Chicago BMW at 20% off; however, I've decided to support my local dealer (South Sound BMW) and get the parts from them. They've been really good to me whenever I have a problem. They will still have to order the shift lever and the foot peg cover, but that's OK as Seattle is facing another week of possible snow on/off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Depending on how bad the plate itself is, the shift lever can be replaced separately. Just be real careful if you decide to try and straighten out a bent one! I know I'm repeating myself here, but they do break easy. I still have that spare down here in case you can't find another one Tim.

John

Tim Hustead
Sector Seattle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in