Tranny seal failure question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:28 pm Thread Starter

Tranny seal failure question

As I look at bikes, is there any way to inspect for the dreaded tranny seal failure that leads to clutch failure? Also, if the drain hole is drilled, does that insure the clutch will be spared if or when the tranny seal goes?

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 3:18 am

I think the drain hole is there to give you that warning. No garentee.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 3:49 am

Drill a weep hole at the bottom of your clutch as well as on your slave cylinder, it saved my clutch when my transmission seal went, there is a write up on here on where to do it.

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 7:30 am Thread Starter

Let me clarify, what, if anything, can I look for on a bike that is for sale to indicate a problem?

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 8:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevano
Let me clarify, what, if anything, can I look for on a bike that is for sale to indicate a problem?
Your going to have to test ride it, get it into top (a bit early helps) and give it some umph.
If the bike takes off - it's OK
If the revs go up, but no speed - the clutch is wet.

Mate of mine was following me when we came to a slow moving car. We hit a 2 lane just after and I went into the outside lane.
My mate said after that he was laughing his socks off - I just sat in that outside lane with the revs sky rocketting - no extra speed
THAT was a wet clutch

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 9:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevano
Joe,

You'll have to put the bike on the center stand and "crawl" underneath it and look at the slave "cavity area" for a small hole. IF you see one and it is dry, no problem. If you don't see one, then you've got to "ask yourself punk--do you feel lucky--well do-ya".

Mine had 39K and no weep hole. Replaced the slave when drilling my hole at 50K and saw some tranny fluid and it had past the felt barrier on its way to the clutch. No harm no foul and I'm safe.

If you see everything else is OK, i.e., heavy throttle and no slippage and there is no hole, plan on doing the slave thing (and clutch housing hole) and enjoy the ride.

While you're under the bike look for any oil leakage, particularly at the main seal area. This will be a royal Hemorrhoid if it leaks.

Definitely put the bike on the center stand and try to "wiggle" the back wheel 3:00 & 9:00 and 12:00 & 6:00. No movement allowed. You should move the bike. This will give you a feel for the rear drive.

Finally (or initially) maintenance records will let you know a lot.

Good Luck,

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in