Holy Smokes! New Throttle Cables. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 8:17 pm Thread Starter

Holy Smokes! New Throttle Cables.

Just finished stripping my '03 LT down and installed the new style throttle cables. Geez, what a difference! Feels like a light bike now. No kidding.

I put 17,000 miles on this machine since I bought it in April 2007, stiff throttle is all I knew. It was okay, the throttle boss and cruise control helped, but after developing persistent pain in my right hand I decided to go for the upgrade. I spent a few hours researching here and ordered the suckers. Two cables and the repair kit cost under $150.

I stripped the bike down, changed them out, and changed the filters, fluids and plugs while she was nekkid. Found it was real easy when installing the throttle ends first then working my way to the handle bar end of the deal. And I didn't have to remove the fuel rail or air box to git 'er done.

I thought cutting the "Brown Wire" was a big difference, but this is just sick! Glad I installed that back rest a couple of months ago.

This is a must do pre-2005 owners, a must do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 9:45 pm

Did the same on my '01. Huge difference, and unlike what the manual says, I didn't have to remove the fuel rail either.

My wife is into beading, and has some long hemostats (fer those of you in the hills, thems' like long nosed pliers fer docters) - snaked the cabled right in.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 23 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:44 am

My Mrs used to like how the bike rolled on the power "Nice and slow" - not once I had changed the cables!!!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:14 am

Cables?

I'm surprised to hear cables make such a difference. I bought my '03 last November in NC and rode her back to Texas(1400 mi). If I hadn't had cruise control, my wrist would have been in bad shape. Tough twist grip on this thing! I followed advice from a thread I found here and wrapped the grips in a gel-filled tennis racket handle wrap. Made a BIG difference. The grips are smaller in diameter than any I am used to. Causes the old arthritus to kick in. The addititional size helps in leverage, I think.

'08 Goldwing Comfort/GPS
'03 Silver LT
'93 Harley FLHTC
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'59 Excelsior
'60 Cushman Super Eagle (for my paper route)
Reg Gosnell
Cypress, TX
post #5 of 23 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggosnell
I'm surprised to hear cables make such a difference. I bought my '03 last November in NC and rode her back to Texas(1400 mi). If I hadn't had cruise control, my wrist would have been in bad shape. Tough twist grip on this thing! I followed advice from a thread I found here and wrapped the grips in a gel-filled tennis racket handle wrap. Made a BIG difference. The grips are smaller in diameter than any I am used to. Causes the old arthritus to kick in. The addititional size helps in leverage, I think.
I did the same thing...Wilson handlegrips . I figured it was good enough for now. Is there no way to lube the throttle cables or is it just easier to replace them?

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #6 of 23 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:33 am

Replace them - you won't regret it.
Remember you need to cut a small hole in the lower handlebat fairing to route them right (or buy the 05 fairing bit)

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #7 of 23 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:47 am

OR Save yourself $150

Following the advice of another BMWLT member I disconnected 1 of the 3 return springs at the throttle body intake. This has the same effect and the original cable has got to last longer. Also apply a lot of lubricant to the 90 degree turn under the grip just before the inner cable enters the outer. Check to make sure the throttle closes all the way before replacing the tupperware. It works.

"A bad day riding is better than the best day at work."
2000 LT Icon (For 2 up rides)

1998 Yamaha Virago 1100 (New to me Jan. 08)
1991 Suzuki GSX1100G ST (Retired at 97.4k miles)
1992 Suzuki GSX1100G (Replacement for 91)
2000 Suzuki DRZ400S (For City and Desert)
2007 Honda Accord (Meaning no more US engineered cars)
And 18 other bikes, 300,000+ miles, 43+ years riding experience
Retired Engineer, Sales and Maintenance Manager(s)
post #8 of 23 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzbmwhnd
Following the advice of another BMWLT member I disconnected 1 of the 3 return springs at the throttle body intake. This has the same effect and the original cable has got to last longer. Also apply a lot of lubricant to the 90 degree turn under the grip just before the inner cable enters the outer. Check to make sure the throttle closes all the way before replacing the tupperware. It works.
Hmmmmm
Not too sure about disconnected return springs. The problem is with stiff cables, so I would have thought they would eventually get stuck - not nice

post #9 of 23 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

I know it's a lot of work, but you guys are missing out on some real fun if you don't install the upgraded cables. If I were BMW I would do it on everyone of them for free - gain customers for life.

I swear, the thing zips like a Hayabusa now! Don't cheat yourself... change 'em.

I beat that horse to death so I'll shut up. But the difference is just NUTS! Shut up Ed.
post #10 of 23 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:40 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Ed what is the cable kit you used, or better yet we can I buy them? I would like to upgrade mine.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #11 of 23 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 6:14 am Thread Starter

Here are the BMW part numbers for the stuff you need. FYI, there was another set of cables that came out in 2003 to address the issue (it used the existing throttle grip cable guides). You DO NOT want these. Get the P/N's below for the 2005 style cables and kit. You MUST buy all three parts, prices are approximate. I ordered mine through Gulf Coast BMW in Houston.

Throttle Close Cable: #32737694490 ($45)
Throttle Open Cable: #32737694491 ($59)
Repair Kit: #32727691990 ($26) (You MUST buy this repair kit because it allows new style cables to connect to throttle grip)

Lots of good instructions on the forum, just seach "throttle cable replacement" and you can research for hours. You'll find instructions, tips, pics and bulletins.

And here's a tip from me: The new cables exit the throttle in big sweeping-radius guide tubes. This drops the cables an inch or two below the grip. This necessitates making an opening in the bottom plastic handlebar cover so the new cables can enter there. BMW sells a new plastic cover but, and here's the tip, you can cut the access hole yourself with a Dremell tool and save your money. Instructions for making that hole are in BMWLT somewhere. Good luck to you.
post #12 of 23 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 6:38 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Thanks for the informaton I need something to do to pass the time durring the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ed
Here are the BMW part numbers for the stuff you need. FYI, there was another set of cables that came out in 2003 to address the issue (it used the existing throttle grip cable guides). You DO NOT want these. Get the P/N's below for the 2005 style cables and kit. You MUST buy all three parts, prices are approximate. I ordered mine through Gulf Coast BMW in Houston.

Repair Kit: #32727691990 ($26) (You MUST buy this repair kit because it allows new style cables to connect to throttle grip)

Lots of good instructions on the forum, just seach "throttle cable replacement" and you can research for hours. You'll find instructions, tips, pics and bulletins.

And here's a tip from me: The new cables exit the throttle in big sweeping-radius guide tubes. This drops the cables an inch or two below the grip. This necessitates making an opening in the bottom plastic handlebar cover so the new cables can enter there. BMW sells a new plastic cover but, and here's the tip, you can cut the access hole yourself with a Dremell tool and save your money. Instructions for making that hole are in BMWLT somewhere. Good luck to you.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #13 of 23 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:09 pm

Replace them before they break

I had heard stories about the old style cables (pre- '04 or '05?) being stiff, and breaking.

I changed mine, just by shear LUCK and coincidence. I was doing the 24K maintenance, and just was ready to start putting tupperware back on. A little voice in the back of my head said, "Check to make sure she'll start, before you put all that plastic back on!" For once I listened to that little voice.

Started her up, and she idled just fine. Gave her a little goose on the throttle, and SNAP!

All I had to do at that point was take off the air box. Manual says take off fuel rail, but I was able to use hemostats to snake new cable in place. Man what a difference the new ones make.

As a bonus, I wasn't stranded on the side of the road.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #14 of 23 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 5:36 pm

Me too

Did mine on my 02 in 06
and WOW !!!!!!
Like a new bike
Anyone without a 05 or newer do this upgrade !!!!

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #15 of 23 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 7:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ed

Are these numbers good for a 2000 LT also? I'd love to do this prior to BIke Week. I'll see if I can work in the time. What do you guys think, 4-6hrs?
Thanks,
Hip

1985 K100RT 90k
1981 R100RT 56k miles Sold
2000 K1200LT 48k miles Sold
2003 Victory Vegas-12k miles Sold
1982 Suzuki GS550L only 299 miles Sold
1997 Yamaha Vmax-15k miles Sold
1996 Suzuki DR650-17k miles Sold
1996 R1100RT-27k miles Sold
1995 K1100LT-85k miles Sold
1982 Honda CB900F-33k mikes Sold
BMWMOA 138762[/I]

Last edited by hip001; Feb 11th, 2008 at 7:40 am.
post #16 of 23 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 11:14 am Thread Starter

Yes. And it is a great improvement.
post #17 of 23 Old Mar 13th, 2008, 5:53 pm

Re: Holy Smokes! New Throttle Cables.

I was really interested in the LT when it was first introduced. I demo'd the bike at the Honda Hoot in Asheville that year. I'm not sure the dealers had them yet. After the ride, the BMW guy asked what I thought of the LT. The first comment out of my mouth was that it had the stiffest throttle of any bike I had ever ridden. I eventually bought a used '99 and while it is a great bike, the throttle was always tough.

I installed the new style cables on my '99 about two weeks ago. Bought them from my local dealer, Touring Sport BMW. The parts manager made sure to mention that the bar cover had been changed; he said, "I could sell you a new bar cover, but you could just cut a hole in the old one." Of course, I had read that on the site already but that's great service. I had looked at photos of the new style bar cover but while I was at the dealership I examined a new LT on the floor to make sure I knew where to carve the hole with my Dremel tool.

My friends in the North (North Carolina, that is, but we generally don't hold that against them) helped with the installation. Like others have said, we did not remove the fuel rail. Took a little monkeying around with needlenose pliers and a hemostat to coax the circlip off the end of the top cable. Once that was done, the rest of it went pretty smoothly. We did not disconnect the throttle return springs. We did find lots of crud on the end of my bar that was binding the grip somewhat; we cleaned it up and squirted in some WD-40, which smoothed it up.

The trip back home was primarily Interstate; I noticed a difference in the throttle but with holding speeds pretty constant I didn't have much chance to appreciate the difference.

I rode the bike to work today and took back roads. It really made the bike much easier to ride. Maybe now my cruise control will get a break. Looking forward to more riding in the Spring. I'm pretending it's a 2005 model now.

It's been my observation that mods and farkels that cost about a hundred bucks seem to be the ones I really enjoy. So far that category includes HID low beam, LED saddlebag light conversion, and new throttle cables. All are winners.
post #18 of 23 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 8:23 am

I was wondering how that was working for you. Glad it made a difference. It is a fiddly procedure though.

Randy
post #19 of 23 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 8:50 am

You wouldn't have guessed from the prior posts on the subject, though. Thanks again. Maybe the second time is easier than the first??
post #20 of 23 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip001
Are these numbers good for a 2000 LT also? I'd love to do this prior to BIke Week. I'll see if I can work in the time. What do you guys think, 4-6hrs?
Thanks,
Hip
It's the same part numbers for all years. What your doing is putting on the throttle cables from the '06 and newer LTs, IIRC.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #21 of 23 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 10:43 am

Mine is VERY hard to roll on! I think I need this asap!

1985 K100RT 90k
1981 R100RT 56k miles Sold
2000 K1200LT 48k miles Sold
2003 Victory Vegas-12k miles Sold
1982 Suzuki GS550L only 299 miles Sold
1997 Yamaha Vmax-15k miles Sold
1996 Suzuki DR650-17k miles Sold
1996 R1100RT-27k miles Sold
1995 K1100LT-85k miles Sold
1982 Honda CB900F-33k mikes Sold
BMWMOA 138762[/I]
post #22 of 23 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 12:36 pm

The part that was "fiddly" was getting to the circlip that anchors the upper cable; we had difficulty fitting tool in there to get a purchase.

John and Rando: Do you think it would be possible to just cut the fitting on the old cable, and pull it out from the inside? That way you could easily remove the circlip from the cut piece?

Obviously it ruins the old cable so that you couldn't re-use it, but that's no loss; I threw mine away.
post #23 of 23 Old Mar 14th, 2008, 9:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
The part that was "fiddly" was getting to the circlip that anchors the upper cable; we had difficulty fitting tool in there to get a purchase.

John and Rando: Do you think it would be possible to just cut the fitting on the old cable, and pull it out from the inside? That way you could easily remove the circlip from the cut piece?

Obviously it ruins the old cable so that you couldn't re-use it, but that's no loss; I threw mine away.
Yea I think so. I was just a little worried about, with time constraints, causing more work if it didn't work out and somehow had to reuse the existing cable.

Using Randy's pick method of removing the clip worked great. Just don't tell anyone we didn't remove the airbox or they'll line up at the door

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in