Alarm/ immobiliser fob problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

Alarm/ immobiliser fob problem

This morning went to start the beast as usual. Thumbing the fob button #2 to disable the immobiliser didnt produce the short whine telling me it was ok to start her up. Got out the spare fob -same deal. Then I played with them for a while and eventually through doing nothing special I got the whine and got it started on the original fob.

This evening - went thro the same procedure but she didnt start. Had to call out BMW recovery who whipped her away in a couple of hours.

Any experience of this out there. I guess its a faulty immobiliser.

Tom Galvin
London, England
05 LT Blue
05 GSXR Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:48 pm

Don't know about the fob problem, but you may have be able to start it if you used the secret number procedure with the key in the ignition. Knowing this procedure would save many a problem I have seen posted in this forum. Know your number and practice the procedure a couple times so you know how to use it when needed.

'03 Silver LT
'05 Silver F650GS (Wife)
'08 Red R12GS
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 7:48 am

At first, it sounded to me like a weak battery in your fob...but I doubt that is the issue as both fobs acted in the same manner. My advise?...Have the dealer sort it out. But while it's in the shop, have them disable that stupid auto-immobilizer/alarm feature. I reprogrammed mine the first summer I owned it. I can still set the immobilizer and alarm...but when I want to. I hated having to press a button to be able to start my LT after every little stop (i.e. gas stops, ATM stops, coffee stops).

As a side note...if you're still using your key to unlock the gas cap, there is a simple mod for that too. I rank those two little mods in the top 5 on these LTs.

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 8:12 am

Garage
I also have frequent problems with the remote for the alarm (never use the spare one, though). I sometimes have to try more than 5 times before the alarmsystem arms / disarms. Changing the battery doesn't really make any difference.

I never mentioned this problem to my dealer, but BMW have recalled my LT for swapping the alarm control unit. It will be done next week. Hopefully that will also solve the problem of the remote. I don't know the exact reason for the recall, but I will let you know if I find out.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 5:06 am Thread Starter

Dealer took it in and replaced the immobiler unit. Working fine again now.

Tom
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 3:55 pm

I have a new 2005, came with a secet number and no explanation? How is it used? I do have an immobilzer, came with it, don't really think I need one in Canada, virtually no thefts up here.
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 4:00 pm

sounds like a weak battery in your fob. your back-up fob prolly also discharged over time.
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 1:53 pm

Quote:
I have a new 2005, came with a secet number and no explanation? How is it used? I do have an immobilzer, came with it, don't really think I need one in Canada, virtually no thefts up here.
The procedure is in the alarm system manual. By turning the key off, counting flashes on the alarm led, and turing the key back on after the number of flashes as indicated on your card. Repeat for each digit. The alarm may sound while you are doing this, but if everything goes right, the alarm and immobilzer are turned off. Start it up and away you go.

A lot of people disable the auto setting of the immobilzer, that procedure is also found in the alarm system manual.

'03 Silver LT
'05 Silver F650GS (Wife)
'08 Red R12GS
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:46 pm

At my 12K service at Hermy's BMW in Port Clinton, Pa (great dealer by the way--real riders) replaced the alarm system and the replacement was bad. So I guess they have some problems---never let me down except I was never able to disarm the auto imobilizer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in