Looking at LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:45 am Thread Starter

Looking at LT

HI, I'm new to the forum. For the last three years I have ridden an '86 goldwing, and have decided it is time for a new bike. After doing much research, I have decided on the K1200LT. At first I thought I would buy a used one, but wanted to see one up close, so went to the dealership. Saw the 08, and decided I want it. The wife gave permission, I was approved for financing, and they had the color I want. I haven't signed anything yet, as I never buy anything big the first day I see it. But I will probably be buying this.

So I have a couple questions about buying the bike. I asked the sales rep what we could about the price, and he said he could drop it to $21,000. What have folks been able to get this bike for? I really hate the idea of paying more a bike than I did my truck. I would really like to get it under $20k.

I asked about getting extras thrown in with the purchase, doesn't sound like they normally do this. All he said was he could give me 10% off accessories. Anyboday been able to do this?

Also, I have been reading about the next generation LT, is this just rumor, or is the bike changing next year?

I still haven't ridden it yet, and won't have the chance to until next Saturday. It is supposed to be in the 20's here all week, but hopefull it will be above freezing next weekend.

thanks,

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:55 am

Welcome to board.
I would love to have an 08, but no $$$$. Rumor about the "new" LT for now is just rumor.

Look at trader on line and it looks that 21K for an 08 is right in the market. Depends on what comes on it. GPS, electric locks, vanity lights, intercom, CB. Those are all extras.

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/sear...ort-Year:DESC/

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #3 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 11:11 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Tony welcome you will find any and all the answers you are looking for here, search the forums and archives.
I know several dealers who give a 20% discount. I personally use Chicago BMW.
Enjoy your new ride!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
Tony welcome you will find any and all the answers you are looking for here, search the forums and archives.
I know several dealers who give a 20% discount. I personally use Chicago BMW.
Enjoy your new ride!
20% discount on a new bike??
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:04 pm

I am down for 20% off retail............where?

Kevin - "06" Lt (Magnesium Black Graphite)

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ontogeny; Jan 20th, 2008 at 12:16 pm.
post #6 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:53 pm

I think he means 20% off the accessorys. For my 05' I paid $21,700 OTD in Dec of 04'. I got everything except the GPS. I think the 08' comes with everything standard, they just raise the price. Have fun on it.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 1:00 pm

I know where you can pick up a Barritz Blue 08' for $22,000 out the door including tax (6% near me), title, & reg. That puts the bike around $20,601. I had the deal aproved but decided in a R1200RT intead.
post #8 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 1:13 pm

It seems BMW dealers start knocking $100s (and more) off MSRP at the end of the model year. I got the next-to-last '05 LT at my dealer for $19,500. The last LT that model year sold for $19k even at BMW Columbus.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #9 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 4:16 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by used2jeep
20% discount on a new bike??
Sorry 20% discount on parts and accessors.
i will say they are significantly cheeper on there bike prices then other dealers. When I was looking I had wo other dealers say they could not come close to the price I was getting from Chicago BMW.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 4:31 pm

nice problem to have

if $$$ are no issue... go get the new ride... however, check the market for late models with very little miles. My exposure to this market says it'll cost you at least $10K just to drive the new bike out the door. You can get fine machines with under 10K miles still under warranty for as low as $12-$14 thou.

Either way enjoy. I too went from a 1200 wing (1985 interstate) to the 1200 KLTE. The rides are similar in size, with the LT significantly taller and with a more aggressive riding position. I'm glad i switched.

chris k
N Kentucky
2002 LTE "Matilda"
1985 Goldwing
1986 Suzuki GS650
2002 Jeep Wrangler
post #11 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 4:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
It seems BMW dealers start knocking $100s (and more) off MSRP at the end of the model year. I got the next-to-last '05 LT at my dealer for $19,500. The last LT that model year sold for $19k even at BMW Columbus.
Ahemmmm!!!!!!

Hey Howard-make it 18,500.....I know that guy

Mike
post #12 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_free
The wife gave permission, I was approved for financing, and ....
That sounds awsome!

Brace yourself, though. MY wife would kill me in my sleep if I sold the LT. The SOs seem to get attached to it as much, or more, than riders. Must be that sofa in the back...
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 5:06 pm Thread Starter

The last new I bought was an '88 suzuki intruder 750. I rode that one until three years ago when I bought the '86 wing (interstate). The LT I plan on keeping for a long time, that is why I am going new. (the intruder is now the wifes bike)

I realize the depreciation of these bikes the first year or two, but since I will keep this bike for a long time, that really doesn't matter. I plan on getting the extended warantee, so I will have seven years coverage (unlimited miles).

Besides, SWMBO said I could

I do have another question: Is the GPS worth the price?

Tony
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 5:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMeister
That sounds awsome!

Brace yourself, though. MY wife would kill me in my sleep if I sold the LT. The SOs seem to get attached to it as much, or more, than riders. Must be that sofa in the back...

The SO doesn't spend alot of time on the back, last year she only put a couple thousand miles on the back, she has her own bike. Our thirteen year old daughter however LOVES to ride, so she is the one that spends alot of time on the pillion. She didn't go with us to the dealership, but I showed her pictures of the bike, she likes it. And when I told her about the passenger speakers, audio controls and heated seat, she got all excited about it.
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 7:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_free

I do have another question: Is the GPS worth the price?

Tony
That is really up to you. Do you feel you need GPS? How much do they want for the option? And can you get and install a GPS you like cheaper?
post #16 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 7:20 pm

I just bought my 08 in December here in Houston. I paid $23,046.65 out the door with GPS. The list on the bike was $21900 and the GPS was 1399.00. The bike with GPS before taxes was 21500. They originally wanted to give me 500.00 off list. They called me 2 days later to see if I had wholesaled my Electra Glide. I told them yes but I was buying a used LT because they wanted to rip my head off on the price of a new one. He wanted to know what I would give him for the new one. I offered 20,500 and he went to his manager and they accepted the deal over the phone. I then said to make it 21,500 with the GPS and they again accepted. My advice would be to offer something less than my numbers and give them the used bike story.
Charlie

Charlie Crittenden
2008 K1200LT
post #17 of 18 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Oh...nice to know Gulf Coast WILL negotiate. I'll keep that in mind when I'm ready to
pull the trigger. All their models come preordered with the GPS mount so I was going
to wait until I put some miles on it to determine if I really needed one. Last one I
got quoted without the GPS and with the extended warranty put me out the door
at $25080, if memory serves.

Anyone know if you pay in cash if they really start discounting the bikes?

James Brown
Seabrook, Texas

2016 K1600 GTL
1979 Suzuki GS550E (sold)

post #18 of 18 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 3:24 am

Smile

Bought 2008 last week 20190 + tax. Good luck

Richard Wright
'99 K1200LT Champagne(in Heidelberg)
'08 K1200LT Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in