post #1 of 6 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 7:29 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Lots of work...

Got all the plastic off doing lots of work to the 03 LTC, as follows:

1. HID Lights.
2. Garmin hardwire install.
3. XM Radio.
4. Oil/filter change.
5. Coolant change.

My question is in regards to the radiator hoses; has anyone used automotive hoses as as replacement, if so which ones?

Also, when I was able to get a full view of all the hoses they all looked "collapsed". Kind of like having a half full bottle of water on a airplane, as you come down the bottle collapses then, when you open the cap, it comes back in shape. Well, thats what happened to my hoses, when I opened the radiator cap, all the hoses opened up again.

Any ideas about the hoses?

Thanks so much to all who us the site, it has been a great help to a new BMW owner!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 7:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood

1. HID Lights.
3. XM Radio.
4. Oil/filter change.
5. Coolant change.

My question is in regards to the radiator hoses; has anyone used automotive hoses as as replacement, if so which ones?

Also, when I was able to get a full view of all the hoses they all looked "collapsed". Kind of like having a half full bottle of water on a airplane, as you come down the bottle collapses then, when you open the cap, it comes back in shape. Well, thats what happened to my hoses, when I opened the radiator cap, all the hoses opened up again.

Thanks so much to all who us the site, it has been a great help to a new BMW owner!

I would not know about any hoses other than the OEM. As for the collapsing, the radiator cap is supposed to allow coolant to flow in from the reservoir as needed. It sounds like there is an obstruction somewhere, or the cap's valve is stuck.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 7:48 am Thread Starter

I thought the same about the cap and will be putting a new one on in hopes this corrects the slight overflow spit I get out of the bottle at times. I'm also using Engine Ice coolant since I have read good things about it.
Thanks!

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 10:04 am

I've never heard of collapsed hoses,
between that and the overflowing issue you were talking about at the RTE it sure sounds like you've got an obstruction or a venting issue,

the radiator cap is a good start, replacing the thermostat couldn't hurt.
Before spending any $$$ I'd suggest looking for a pinched vent hose also.

If you get into it any deeper than that, keep in mind I've got both radiators, fans, overflow reservoir and even hoses of my 2002 (30 thousand miles) laying in the shed.

If you're installing an XM Roady,
I've also got a couple of other pieces of my 02 you could save a couple of bucks on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parts 032.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	16137   Click image for larger version

Name:	parts 033.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	16138  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Last edited by SilverBuffalo; Jan 19th, 2008 at 10:11 am.
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
I've never heard of collapsed hoses,
between that and the overflowing issue you were talking about at the RTE it sure sounds like you've got an obstruction or a venting issue,

the radiator cap is a good start, replacing the thermostat couldn't hurt.
Before spending any $$$ I'd suggest looking for a pinched vent hose also.

If you get into it any deeper than that, keep in mind I've got both radiators, fans, overflow reservoir and even hoses of my 2002 (30 thousand miles) laying in the shed.

If you're installing an XM Roady,
I've also got a couple of other pieces of my 02 you could save a couple of bucks on.
Thank you my friend! I am taking a lunch break, just got the coolant system done and filled with Engine Ice and put a new cap on it. So far so good, I had to cover the radiators to get the fans to come on (both working).
Got all the wires in place for the Garmin, XM and the HID headlight and now just have to make it all look pretty and nice!
Oil and filter change all done as well, went with a K&N filter and synthetic 20/50.
After lunch I got to run to the parts store and get some more zip ties, just when you think you have everything you need... YOU DON'T!

Talk to you all latter after I got here back together.
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 5:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood

1. HID Lights.
3. XM Radio.
4. Oil/filter change.
5. Coolant change.

Good Days work!
Just finished a test ride and no left over parts!
Here is what took me from 10am till 6pm:
1. Coolant flush and cap change to fix a overheating problem - so far, so good!
2. Oil and filter change.
3. XM and Garmin 450 hardwire install on a BMR Copilot set-up. Nice! Got it all hooked-up with my Autocom so I can here the turn by turn directions.
4. Front and rear brake pads.
5. HID headlight install. Great improvement over the stock!!!
6. Smoked headlight protection by Xpel, much better than the ones held on via velcro.
7. Smoked front turn signals. Looks great with the smoked headlight on a black bike!

All cleaned and ready for a ride on Sunday!

have a great weekend guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in