Slave cylinder side trip - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 9:39 am Thread Starter
ajs

Slave cylinder side trip

While on my way in to do the slave cylinder housing drain hole operation I uncovered a couple of side trips.

1. The transmission output seal leaking. (remove and replace an easy fix)
2. The pinion seal leaking very slightly. (gear oil inside the rubber boot) The drive unit has been drained. It's as clear as new and down immeasurably from when it was put in 9,000 miles ago. The drain plug had very little fuzz on the magnet. I am content that the drive unit is ok. What is involved in replacing the seal? Is it something that could be done by me or should it visit the dealer? What special tools do I need? What parts do I need to order?

I have completed the removal of the swing arm, (many thanks to Kevin Cook, David Shealey and others on this site) and have removed the slave cylinder. All is dry and looks really good, the drain hole drilling is not too late.

Any assistance on the pinion seal questions is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:20 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just my 2 cents but I would live with a slight leak here. The job requires some special tools and is not worth trying your self nor would I break the integrity of a good drive at the dealer just to fix a slight leak. Just take a peak every once in while under the boot and reasses the situation as needed.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:34 am

I'm also living with a slight leak in my boot. I haven't seen anything from my rear drive. I'm replacing the fluid (with synthetic) every oil change.

One thing you want to consider (if it's not all the way back together) is drilling a hole in your "bell housing". If the main engine seal leaks (and they do) the oil can come in the "back door" and contaminate your clutch.

There is hope that this hole will leak oil before the clutch is destroyed. Either way, if you cut into a motor that far (either main seal or clutch slipping) you'll replace both.

Great job on the Slave, now you can sleep a little safer.

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in