Next Gen LT...what would YOU like to see? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 125 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 12:53 pm Thread Starter

Next Gen LT...what would YOU like to see?

I know we have all read the rumors of what will or will not be a possible next generation K LT. I firmly believe BMW is ready to release a really amazing touring bike for this next generation , given all of the changes and improvements across the board on ALL of the other models.

What would YOU like to see in a new LT?

I dont think they are going to use the current K bike platform with its forward canted 4 cylinder engine.... I think they are going to use a unique setup . I hope it will be either a flat six (a la Wing) or a V6. I would think single overhead cam with four valves per would keep the head narrow. I would also think they could employ variable valve timing . Hydraulic lifters would be nice so you dont have to do valve adjustments and an improved fuel injection system would be a must , maybe even with some sort of variable intake system to improve low end power . At least 1500cc would be nice as well. No reason it shouldnt be rated around 135+ hp (engine, ~120+ at the tire) with as much or more torque . Must be smoooooooth....oh and please make the throttle adjustable so you can get comfy with it.

Keep weight under 900lbs fully fueled (preferably at or less than the current 860). Give us a normal ABS braking system (that will save on cost , complexity and weight) with separate front and rear brakes that just work. Keep good handling a priority with good ground clearance but improve low speed handling with lower center of gravity as much as possible. Must be sportier than a Wing , that is what BMWs are about .

Love all of the current features , so keep them or improve them. Need much better headlights (Wing is GREAT here currently). MP3/4 capable , make CD changer optional - nobody uses them much any more...plug in the ole IPod. Get someone to make decent TIRES for the bike!

A much easier to use ignition/security system. ONE Fob so when you are within so many feet (say 4) you can just push button start the bike and on a display you can see any security alerts etc. Keep single sided swingarm.

She needs to remain as adjustable as possible so many types of folks can find comfort. Keep the built in roll bars so if she falls , nothing gets hurt..

Innovations? Hmm variable valve timing/intake/exhaust and maybe even cylinder shutdown tech to improve power emmissions and mpg...this is ALL common auto stuff. Tire pressure sensors , very useful on a big tourer . Havent read too much good stuff about Yamaha's clutchless FJR so that may not be ready yet......but a good system like it would potentially be really good for a large touring bike....lot of bugs in Yammy's system still though. Another thought would be a TURBO 4 cylinder ......

Anyway .....just wondering what your thoughts are on what you would like to see as we get closer to potentially seeing what is up BMWs proverbial sleeve.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 1:29 pm

She should weigh at least 200 lbs. less than you've indicated. And have air conditioning. Can't let the new Wing get ahead of us.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #3 of 125 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 2:03 pm
Super Moderator

• 1500 - 1800cc 6 or a beefed up version of the current K12 platform
  • 150-200 lbs less weight
  • At least 7 gallon fuel cell (preferably 7.5 - 8)
  • Same integrated bits as now (saddlebags, topcase, radio, comm system, heated stuff, cruise, etc.)
  • ESA
  • XM Satellite integrated into system
  • Drop the CD changer
  • HID from factory
  • 6 speed tranny
  • Manual centerstand (optional powered unit)
  • Go back to the J&M Comm system for intercom and drop the VOICE II and it's children
  • More tire choices, either through deals with manufacturers or via bike weight and load rating being managed to use more options already on the market

That's what comes to mind initially.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 125 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 2:22 pm

I hope the new LT comes with a GINORMOUS block of cheese . . .

. . . to go with the whining I'll be reading due to all the unmet expectations.

post #5 of 125 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 2:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13

I'd go with that, depending on what type of cheese it is

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #6 of 125 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 2:34 pm

I like cheese. Can we have crackers, too?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 125 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 3:32 pm

Smile New Lt Changes

I think the motorcycles appearance is perfect no need to change anything visually. Better driver seat, passenger seat is OK with my wife except for the hight of the seat catches some wind. A little more power or a gearing change in the bottom end would be nice I have never nor ever will I use all the top end power this bike has never been over 85 miles an hour for long. A clutch that does'nt empty your wallet when it goes out nor requires the bike to be nearly taken halfway apart. better final drive design if this is as big a problem as I've heard about on this site. I personally have not lost a final drive yet but the clutch issue I have experienced. Last of all at least 100 lbs. lighter and a lower center of gravity.
post #8 of 125 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 3:51 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

First of all I really like cheese
I am one of the minority that does not think the bike is to heavy.
I am newer to the site but the talk and speculation about the next generation seems to be all over the place. One day they are going to get out of the market, the next they are making expansive modifications.
Just my observations.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #9 of 125 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 4:00 pm

Personally, I would be happy with a tool kit. I had a tool kit on my previous bikes. $22,000 and no tool kit? What idiot figured that as a good thing?

CD's are so yesterday; put a damn MP3 in it with an SD card slot and call it good.

More horses. I like the ponies.

Floorboards.

Built-in GPS.

BMW: Are you listening?

DJF
post #10 of 125 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 4:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

ESA, the J&M intercom

otherwise, the price will be too high.
It's more bike than I know what to do with now.

dan
post #11 of 125 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 5:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Red face

Dan,
I'm with you on the ESA. Change the first gear to a bit lower and save the rest. It's a touring bike. If you want to go really fast, add some stuff to the GT but leave the LT alone!
Just my .02

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #12 of 125 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 6:41 pm Thread Starter

Some good suggestions , I totally forgot about electronic suspension adjust some of the other new models are sporting ....I am sure the LT would have an improved version.

As much as I would love for the bike to be much lighter I dont think it will be possible while going to a larger engined better equipped machine , even with lighter materials and better technology these days. Weight can be deceptive as well.....many larger machines feel much lighter then they are (like our LT's). Honda is notorius for bikes that feel much better than their numbers say they should.
post #13 of 125 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:21 pm

how about in order of priority

The bike as it is, plus
#1 more horse power
My last bike was a VMAX
would love more low end, mid, and high end!

#2 As reliable as a honda
I haven't really had any issues but thinking about all of them, and doing preventitive steps, new throttle cables, messing with ABS flashing lights, makes me miss that atribute of the japanese bikes, low maint!

lighter would be good, but would give that up if I had to give up something
Everything else I can live with or modify to my unique liking

larry
That's it for me
post #14 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 1:46 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shriker
Some good suggestions , I totally forgot about electronic suspension adjust some of the other new models are sporting ....I am sure the LT would have an improved version.

As much as I would love for the bike to be much lighter I dont think it will be possible while going to a larger engined better equipped machine , even with lighter materials and better technology these days. Weight can be deceptive as well.....many larger machines feel much lighter then they are (like our LT's). Honda is notorius for bikes that feel much better than their numbers say they should.
Sportbikes have been getting more powerful and lighter year over year for the last decade or so. MotoGP bike make upwards of 250 HP and weigh around 320 pounds. BMW has been increasing power and displacement and reducing weight across the line with the R1200 bikes while maintaining and/or increasing maximum load capacity for the bikes. Given that I see no reason not to expect a lighter and more powerful LT.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #15 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 1:47 am
Super Moderator

Quote:

A nice smoked Gouda or havarti with mine please!!!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #16 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 4:43 am

Put a 5 cyl inline motor in it (ala Audi GT) IF they cant pump up the current one a bit.
Change Gearing for 1st at the very least.dont need to go 60 in 1st!
Better Lights
Drop the CD, go for MP3/ipod
Loose some Weight,but keep the same Style.

That's it for me.

Rick G.
2005 K1200LT 'Prom Queen'
2005 DL-1000 V-Strom 'Moose'
post #17 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 5:20 am

Lt Changes

I'd rather keep the current engine/power with the current fuel consumption..
I had a Goldwing a while back and couldn't put up with the MPG and tank range. 33mpg UK (28MpgUS)/ 160mile range. Not good enough

Definitely keep the hydraulic stand. It will make the difference with my back injuries.

Improve the final drive reliability. Roller bearing ?

HID as standard on both beams.

Good quality Driving Lights as standard.

Provide cables to plug in MP3, XM etc Possibly an adapter that fits onto the CD Changer lead so you can still control from the top.

Rear FOG lights. Cars in the UK have had them since Nov 79.

Wiring pre-run for a trailer.

Foldable or hidden antenna(s)

post #18 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 5:36 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker100
. . . #1 more horse power
My last bike was a VMAX
would love more low end, mid, and high end!. . .

larry
That's it for me
I've been considering buying a new VMAX as my 1-up bike. What made you get rid of yours?

As for my wishes for the new LT. More torque, HID for both high and low. Lower CG would be nice, but isn't a deal breaker. If the seat isn't made more comfortable, then don't change it at all so I can move my Corbin over.

And, Joe, I prefer a nice jung Gouda over Swiss. Nothing better than sliced/cubed Gouda with a slightly chilled Riesling Auslese!

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
post #19 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 6:21 am

Edam

More power, in Europe, 100mph is not enough on the autobhans to keep up!
Less chromey plastic
easy tranny oil change
obviously a better final drive
less gadgets to go wrong. I can fix most stuff now, but electrics will be a pain, dont put a GPS on it, then you are stuck with whatever quality GPS you are given. I wont buy a new one at the moment due to the electric center stand (and being skint!!)

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #20 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 7:44 am

You're list is good Dave, but you got the wrong satellite radio, Sirius should be the unit of choice.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #21 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 7:45 am

Floorboards as an option please. I like pegs.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #22 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 10:40 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
You're list is good Dave, but you got the wrong satellite radio, Sirius should be the unit of choice.
How about a pluggable module that lets you enable either? That way you can continue to help pay Howard Stern's salary, and I can avoid him like the plague!

So, how's the new Mauve Monster?? Or is the Purple People Eater?? Just trying to help with the naming process.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #23 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Hmmm.....more interesting ideas.....I never really thought about it this way but there are advantages to both sides - some folks want all the gadgets so they dont have to mess with getting them separately and making it work . Other folks WANT to have the choice of say which GPS they want or to upgrade so it would be nice to have the bike totally set up for all the goodies but you can buy them and easily plug them up to an integrated package.....

Maybe make that optional?.......

I am really gettin hungry with all the CHEESE in this thread.....
post #24 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:46 am

Next Gen LT

1) More HP, say 130 real HP.
2) Better headlights
3) Ditch the CD, add MP3 capability and sat ready (your choice of flavor-it can be a plug in module as it is in my car)
4) Fix the final drive reliability issue

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #25 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:48 am

Simple Stuff, really

Better integration/testing and vendor management/QA processes that makes sure the "bike-as-built" is as good as the "bike-as-designed".

Long-term reliability has NO substitute - there is no reason that BMW cannot build a vehicle that has the same type of in-service failure numbers as a honda, kawasaki, nissan or toyota.

Better engineering, testing and QA would have ever kept items like final drive, ABS and clutch slave and other seal failures from becoming the safety concern and cost items that they are. I've had 2 LTs with a total of @ 80,000 miles - I locked a wheel during a final drive failure, and was nearly T-boned when a slave failed and i couldn't get the bike out of gear. And lets not speak of a $2000 ABS failure (dealer wanted $2,800+) on a well-maintained 7 year old bike with only a $8-9,000 book value.

None of these technologies are leading edge - only the basics of doing good engineering, testing and quality assurance can explain how a premium bike can have less-than-premium performance.

BMW designs bikes with no peer. Now I'd like for them to actually manufacture THAT bike.

...then, while they're at it, they can:
-make premium suspension components a factory option
-give us lighting that works -don't care what form it takes - even ducati designs halogen projectors made the stock setup look feeble

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
post #26 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 4:07 pm

If we consider BMW's most recent designs we can expect a much lighter bike with a 1 or 2 cylinder engine, all surface tires, spoked rims with innertubes. It will be designed for a rider with a 36" inseam and a 32" waist. Oh yes, and a price in the mid 20's.

I have a great deal of faith in the current management and product planners at BMW.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #27 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 4:23 pm

Well, what the heck...maybe someone from BMW will take these suggestions to heart

Here's what I would like to see...

1. More torque. I'm fine with the current available horsepower. It just needs more on the bottom end.

2. Low speed handling. It has not been a huge issue for me, but it makes me more nervous that I should have to be when I'm having fun.

3. Mp3 solution. An ipod adapter with radio control of the ipod would be perfect for me and many others with ipods.

4. HID should be standard.

5. One more voice to the chourus...reliability. My bike has not been trouble prone, but it doesn't take a genius to see that thse bikes are not as reliable as they should be. There have been much more poorly designed motorcycles with much better reliability. This part for me is non-negotiable if BMW wants me to keep coming back.

That's about all I need
post #28 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 5:48 pm

Lower center of gravity and a six speed tranny.

2006 LT
Times dropped(so far): 2
2006 FZ-1
Speeding tickets(so far): 0

IBA

"Four things greater than all things are,-
Women and Horses and Power and War." Rudyard Kipling
post #29 of 125 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:40 pm

Vmax

Kick butt straight line performer. Drag light to light, straight line top end with most of them, but corners HORRIBLE!
That's why I got rid of it.
Would go with a 1200 bandit for one up reliable, low cost fun.
Or a k1200S
Not as cool looking as the VMAX though. Amazing how a 10 year old bike can still be so cool
You can also buy bolt on superchargers, nitros, etc from MAD MAX, very cool!
then when you blow up the stock engine, they can put one togther that can take the juice!

larry
post #30 of 125 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 12:30 am

Decisions?

I'm new to the BMW Luxury Touring Forum and just finished reading the many changes many of you would like to see on the LT. Let me say that I just purchased a new 2008 LT and have to agree with many of you. I realized at the time of purchase the bike has been around a while and the power and technology needs a little upgrade. My only other choice was the Gold Wing, which I researched and drove before making my decision. With all the positive articles written about the Honda, I was surprised when I enjoyed the the ride of the BMW that much more. I must admit that I've questioned my recent decision a bit after reading the many comments. I'm starting to wonder if I should of waited for the elusive new LT or the newer Gold Wing out in September of 08.

I'm a former owner of an 05 RT and had nothing but praise for the bike and the dealership I dealt with. I was confused for a while, selling the RT and jumping on a Triumph Speed Triple. I experienced exhilaration and fear, loving every moment. Unfortunately, having two bikes would not work in my household and the wonderful person in my life wanted to share in my riding experiences. The Triumph was sold and replaced with the Kawasaki Concourse 14. I thought I could still hold onto a power punch with a backseat at a reasonable price. At 50 miles, the bike developed a coolant leak (Head Gasket replacement), starter motor problems at 150 miles and inop. tire pressure sensor. Kawasaki Corp. was terrible and the dealership was not much better.
I'm back, and was feeling pretty good about my recent decision until reading the many comments. I think I need to read less and ride more. The LT is very comfortable and currently has more features than I need. If a new LT is on the horizon, I'm sure I'll look. One thing for sure, ...... glad to be back on a BMW.
post #31 of 125 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 12:35 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride2Hide
I think I need to read less and ride more. The LT is very comfortable and currently has more features than I need. If a new LT is on the horizon, I'm sure I'll look.
Go ride for sure. We won't see a new LT for a couple more years.

Congrats on the new bike. You are going to love it

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #32 of 125 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 4:30 am

Interesting suggestions ...

1. Here is ZA the new LT's are coming in with Xenon Lights and PEGS for the pillion. So that already fixes two requests I saw here.

From my information the current LT will go out of production in August 2008. Main reason is that it is the only bike left in the stable with the current engine and production of the low volume motors is not viable any longer.

I have also heard that there is a new tourer earmarked for this year tat will be basically a K engine with RT ergonomics.

I agree with ditching that CD player ... it is expensive and useless and it took me only one trip to convince me that the packing space is worth much more than the shuttle.

I agree wit the iPod Connection ... satellite radios is not hot in my country so I have no comment on that.

Although a better topend would be fun it is also true that a big luxury tourer is not made to run with the sports bikes ... it is heavy and if things goes south for you there will usually not be enough road available to calm the bike down.

I hope to get some more information in about 14 days time ... there is a Managers Conference in Portugal that starts on Monday. I am in the process to sell my 2005 LT and would really be disturbed if a new bigger LT is on the cards for September

In general I am very happy with the bike and I have heard rumours of a 1800 cc V6 with the power takeoff in the middle of the crank ala F1 motor. This could very well be something that is more than a rumour with the rumoured RT style one as a gap stop while the new LT is in development.

It would be so cool if they go for the V6 but then I would hope the redesign the body trim to actually allow us some visual pleasure by showing a bit of the engine.

I love my LT to pieces, curse the weight when in constricted spaces but sing it's praises when the open road stretches out in front of me.

The ESA surely is a MUST HAVE.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.
post #33 of 125 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 1:00 pm

The NEW LT should come with a spare final drive.
post #34 of 125 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 1:42 pm

I really like my '06 - I agree with the power vs economy. This is a touring bike, and I ride in the WEST - read "a really long distance between gas stations!!!"

Driver floorboards as an option is a plus. I have XM on my car & never use it, so the MP3/iPod option (which I have), is a big plus.

The old foot vents from my GL1500 would be nice.

Integrate the GPS into the dash somewhere - It takes too much real estate now.

Put an easy access pocket (AKA: Ultraglide) into the tupperware, so you don't need a tank bag for a camera or phone.

Make the top case an option - offer something like Corbin's case or the FW rack as an alternative.

Just my $0.02. I rarely ride two up. I never ride 2 up on long trips. I never wear a full face helmet, and have never used the intercom. Couple this with my total dislike for sport bikes (no room & poor position).

Finally - I know I'm a 5%er, at 6'4" & 270#, but DO NOT follow Honda's lead to make a bike for short drivers with stout SO's. I love the tall LT.
post #35 of 125 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Must be getting OLD! Forgot my #1 peeve!

Fold down antenna! At least make it swappable with the GL's!!
post #36 of 125 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 8:19 pm

I stopped by my local BMW dealer today to ask about the next LT. The salesman who sold me my 03 LT said that he expected the new LT in 09 probably as an 2010 model. He said he would take a deposit and I would be the first on the list. I think I will do that. My 03 LT is still a great bike but I would like a different 2010. Here is what I would like:

1. A lighter bike. We toured in Idaho and Montana this summer on our Ducati ST3. The ST3 weighs 390 lbs, and has 106 HP and it a great ride. Of course we gave up a lot of creature comforts to use the Ducati, and I wouldn't want to do one of those 1,000 mile Interstate highway burners on it like we do on the LT.

2. A lower center of gravity. I just bought an 08 Victory Vision in December of 07. While it weighs as much as my LT it has a really low center of gravity and that makes a great difference in low speed handling. It also has an Ipod interface that I like. We are planning an 1,800 mile loop in June on it and I will see how it stacks up against the LT (I have made the same trip on the LT a number of times).

3. I would like a more durable bike than my 03 LT. My touring bike prior to the LT as a Yamaha Venture. That bike was a solid ride. I rode it for fifteen years and the engine and transmission never needed any major surgery. My 03 LT has had more major mechanical work than any bike I have owned. I still love the LT, but it is like a piece of delicate china that you have handle carefully or you will break it.

Whatever, I think I will gamble on the new LT whatever it turns out to be. I will make my deposit in the next few months.
post #37 of 125 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 9:18 pm

New Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whenisell
I stopped by my local BMW dealer today to ask about the next LT. The salesman who sold me my 03 LT said that he expected the new LT in 09 probably as an 2010 model. He said he would take a deposit and I would be the first on the list. I think I will do that. My 03 LT is still a great bike but I would like a different 2010. Here is what I would like:

1. A lighter bike. We toured in Idaho and Montana this summer on our Ducati ST3. The ST3 weighs 390 lbs, and has 106 HP and it a great ride. Of course we gave up a lot of creature comforts to use the Ducati, and I wouldn't want to do one of those 1,000 mile Interstate highway burners on it like we do on the LT.

2. A lower center of gravity. I just bought an 08 Victory Vision in December of 07. While it weighs as much as my LT it has a really low center of gravity and that makes a great difference in low speed handling. It also has an Ipod interface that I like. We are planning an 1,800 mile loop in June on it and I will see how it stacks up against the LT (I have made the same trip on the LT a number of times).

3. I would like a more durable bike than my 03 LT. My touring bike prior to the LT as a Yamaha Venture. That bike was a solid ride. I rode it for fifteen years and the engine and transmission never needed any major surgery. My 03 LT has had more major mechanical work than any bike I have owned. I still love the LT, but it is like a piece of delicate china that you have handle carefully or you will break it.

Whatever, I think I will gamble on the new LT whatever it turns out to be. I will make my deposit in the next few months.
I am sure I would not put money down on a bike I have never seen. There has been so many rumors out about a new LT. No more than they sell I can not see BMW producing a new LT. If they do I am sure there will not be a waiting list in getting one. I do not know of any BMW model hard to get.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #38 of 125 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 11:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
  • XM Satellite integrated into system

That's what comes to mind initially.
Sirius or Sirius compatible, or don't bother with satellite radio at all. I don't want XM.

No cigars please.
post #39 of 125 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 11:47 pm

So... is the LT really getting canned?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #40 of 125 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 2:57 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyn
I have also heard that there is a new tourer earmarked for this year tat will be basically a K engine with RT ergonomics.

Do keep us informed . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #41 of 125 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 3:11 am
IBR# 366

Garage
They already make a 6-cylinder torque monster tourer - it's called a 'Wing. No, thanks.

I can't see BMW producing a special motor just for the LT. It's not their style, plus they're not a big enough manufacturer nor does the LT sell enough units to support those kinds of engineering and manufacturing costs.

Besides, the current slant/4 motor already produces more torque than the old flying brick, so imagine what they could do if they tuned it specifically for a Luxury Tourer platform.

So bump up the HP and torque, update the body style to match BMW's new floating panel designs (you know they will whether you like it or not), and lose 100-150 lbs. Then add ESA and Duolever suspension with premium shocks. Sort out the electronic integration much better (iPod plug, working CB & intercom, satellite radio options, GPS integration (with option to upgrade when better units come out)), but don't forget to get the basics to work right. That includes actually meeting BMW's reputation for premium reliability on all components. And give us decent lighting from the factory, with HID coupled to a cutting-edge reflector at the very least.

And try to keep the price reasonable, though that may be tough with all the requested improvements and the rapidly descending dollar.

Oh, and find some awesome new colors for it as well. Getting kind of tired of black, blue, and silver.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #42 of 125 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 8:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym
I am sure I would not put money down on a bike I have never seen.
A motorcycle is not an investment -- it is a luxury toy most of the time. I have ridden BMW's for 31 years out of my 55 year riding career (so far). I want a next generation LT --just because. I am not a BMW chauvinist -- I like a lot of brands of motorcycles. I think every rider should own at least one Ducati in their life. There are a lot of neat bikes I would like to own -- but there are practical limits (or so my friends tell me). As to the deposit I have a really good dealer and I trust him.
post #43 of 125 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 8:16 am

A Picture of The New LT

Here's a picture of the new LT...what it does and will look like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT 006.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	16160  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #44 of 125 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 9:25 am

Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
You are probably right it will be the next LT with a few more options. If I was a little younger and into a sport touring bikes it would be the bike I would have. It sets up a little to high for me and I do like the heavier bikes. The LT was never to heavy or top heavy for me. I will always like the BMW LT it is just all the problems they have and BMW will not do anything about them. I have a new 2008 Gold Wing and like it real will but it is not a BMW. I am on the GL1800 web site but I always come back to this web site and probably always will. The GL1800 web site in no way compares to this web site. I do not always agree with everyone on this site but I have never found a site that is anymore helpful than this one.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #45 of 125 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 9:56 am

My pet peeve is the location of the rear view mirrors. They do a great job of directing the air flow away from my hands but are poor at providing rear vision. I hate having to direct my vision completely away from my path of travel to look in the mirror. And even then when I do about half of the mirror gives me a great view of my fist on the grip.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #46 of 125 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 1:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Yepperz Jack. I keep saying that BMW doesn't need to look very far to redesign the LT. Just take the current GT and relax the riding pegs a bit, and pull the handlebars back. (You know ... for the older riders, like Meese! ) Add an onboard stereo with PNP mp3 integration and a full-blown intercom system and it's a done deal.

Oh . . . and BMW don't forget BlueTooth EVERYTHING!!!
post #47 of 125 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 2:11 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yepperz Jack. I keep saying that BMW doesn't need to look very far to redesign the LT. Just take the current GT and relax the riding pegs a bit, and pull the handlebars back. (You know ... for the older riders, like Meese! ) Add an onboard stereo with PNP mp3 integration and a full-blown intercom system and it's a done deal.

Oh . . . and BMW don't forget BlueTooth EVERYTHING!!!
I would be perfectly happy with that. The only other thing I would think they would need to do is integrate the saddlebags and include a trunk with a passenger backrest. Those are pretty much givens on luxury touring machines so I think needed to truly give "LT" status to the next gen. And yes, I know the K100 and K1100 LTs did not have integrated bags. They also looked like a collection of Saltine boxes wrapped around an engine and spongy brakes.

Also, I'm not sure about Bluetooth everything, especially the output to the helmet. Until they get the power management to a level where you can have a reasonably small and lightweight rechargeable power supply mounted to the helmet that can provide 10-12 hours of usage, an easily swappable battery and some form of on-bike recharging I will stick with a cabled headset and speakers in my lid. If I have to run a power cable to my helmet just to keep the BT headset charged for a full day of riding what's the point, I'm still tethered to the bike so I should just use an "old school" headset. The best I've seen from any BT headset for a helmet is 4-6 hours of normal usage. That won't get a lot of folks past lunch!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

Last edited by DavidTaylor; Jan 21st, 2008 at 2:18 pm.
post #48 of 125 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Also, I'm not sure about Bluetooth everything, especially the output to the helmet. Until they get the power management to a level where you can have a reasonably small and lightweight rechargeable power supply mounted to the helmet that can provide 10-12 hours of usage, ... [snip] ... The best I've seen from any BT headset for a helmet is 4-6 hours of normal usage. That won't get a lot of folks past lunch!
Two of the new BT helmets modules that I'm currently looking at both boast 20 HOURS of battery time under continuous use (music). And one of them has a replaceable battery if 20 hours isn't enough.

BT is growing at an extemely fast rate Mr. Taylor. By the time the "new" LT is released it will be quite mature technology.
post #49 of 125 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 3:32 pm

Love my music, love my bikes, love music when I'm riding bikes, hate speakers in my helmet (or ears) when riding. I like to lsten to bike, road, surroundings - can only do that with LT type sound system.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #50 of 125 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 4:14 pm

If anything close to the GT becomes the new LT, I'll be going back to a Hardley Davits rider.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in