Looking at '03 K1200LT w/clutch issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

Looking at '03 K1200LT w/clutch issue

I own a Vstar and about to trade in on a K1200. The cruiser was fun but I have an 8 y/o son that is going to tour w/me this summer across the country. Need a bigger bike and comforts.

Anyway, I'm looking at a 2003 K1200LT w/19k miles for about $11,500. Very clean bike with no blemishes,scratches or dents. The only thing is that when you get on it real hard it starts to slip a bit. I'm getting it from a high end wholesaler that buys repos and such. They told me they took it to a dealership and were told that it's a common problem and it could be driven for another 80k miles before needing to be fixed to a tune of about $1500. Doesn't slip in lower speeds or normal driving.

Any tips, suggestions???

Syd
Dallas, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 2:54 pm

Thumbs down Clutch Sliping

SYD. It sounds like the clutch is going out and my guess is you won't get it far down the road before it goes totally out. Mine did the same thing and only lasted a day or two after it sliped in 4th and 5th gear getting on the throttle. I would find a better deal for that money there are bikes for 12000 and 13000 that are 05 models or less than your paying for the same year in our classified section or on Cycle Trader.COM
post #3 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 3:44 pm

I have an '03 LT and I have never felt the clutch slip. As the previous post says, I would look elsewhere for an LT.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 3:50 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydvicioustx
I own a Vstar and about to trade in on a K1200. The cruiser was fun but I have an 8 y/o son that is going to tour w/me this summer across the country. Need a bigger bike and comforts.

Anyway, I'm looking at a 2003 K1200LT w/19k miles for about $11,500. Very clean bike with no blemishes,scratches or dents. The only thing is that when you get on it real hard it starts to slip a bit. I'm getting it from a high end wholesaler that buys repos and such. They told me they took it to a dealership and were told that it's a common problem and it could be driven for another 80k miles before needing to be fixed to a tune of about $1500. Doesn't slip in lower speeds or normal driving.

Any tips, suggestions???

Syd
Dallas, TX
If it's slipping it will NOT go many more miles. Most likely the rear main seal or the clutch slave cylinder is leaking.

$1500 minimum to fix, could be $2000. I would still buy it if you could get it for about 8k and you have a local dealer that can fix it right for you....

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ted Shred; Jan 15th, 2008 at 9:36 pm.
post #5 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 3:53 pm

I've got an '03 with just over 18,000 on it, and I've never had a problem with the clutch.

I'm thinking of selling mine. Nice bike, and I've enjoyed it, but I need to free up some debt load.
post #6 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

I went and test drove it today. They put a new battery in and it was slipping in every gear. Badly!! They agreed that it needed to be fixed and said they would call BMW tomorrow and find out how much. Asked to me agree to purchase IF it was fixed and BMW provided repair order that shows it's fixed. The bike is IMMACULATE!! I'm going to put the link on here for you to view and see for yourself.

One question too. It was hard to tell the power with it slipping. What is the power like on the 03? Is it a good deal if it gets fixed? Would be like brand new bike with a new clutch.

Link to the bike
post #7 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 9:04 pm

In this market I feel $11,500 for an 03, even with the clutch fixed, is on the high side. I'd offer 10K after the clutch is fixed. Check the classified on this forum and you may decide to pay just a tad more and get an 05 instead.
Quote:
I went and test drove it today. They put a new battery in and it was slipping in every gear. Badly!! They agreed that it needed to be fixed and said they would call BMW tomorrow and find out how much. Asked to me agree to purchase IF it was fixed and BMW provided repair order that shows it's fixed. The bike is IMMACULATE!! I'm going to put the link on here for you to view and see for yourself.

One question too. It was hard to tell the power with it slipping. What is the power like on the 03? Is it a good deal if it gets fixed? Would be like brand new bike with a new clutch.

Link to the bike

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #8 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 9:19 pm

Definetly advantages in the 2005. Electro-hydraulic kickstand + more power+ better rake angle.

I bought the 05 a little over a year ago (39K) for $11.5 off this site (now have 59K).

You never know how it's fixed, etc if you buy it "fixed".

Be a little patient. Winter is a "buyer's paradise" for motorcycles.

Others will disagree, but, I would look 05 or newer. Prefereably with 20K or more. You ought to pay $12-13K +/-. Take a good serious look at this sites classifieds.

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #9 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 9:34 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
In this market I feel $11,500 for an 03, even with the clutch fixed, is on the high side. I'd offer 10K after the clutch is fixed. Check the classified on this forum and you may decide to pay just a tad more and get an 05 instead.
I agree w/ Ted & Gilles - $10K after clutch is fixed. I have an '03 with about 42K - no clutch issues here whatsoever. btw - your build date is May 2003 (same as mine, but mine came off the line 107 bikes in front of yours! I'm happy w/ my '03 but agree you should check out the 05's or newer.

here is a link to decode any BMW VIN#:
http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

Good luck & happy searching.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #10 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 9:34 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:

Link to the bike
That is a nice looking bike. It is an LTC and no an LTE though. Impala Brown is about the worst color in terms of resale too. I wouldn't pay more than 10-10.5 for that bike retail.

If you've got a little more time and are willing to spend 11.5 12k you will be able to find a bike with more accessories and probably a year or two newer.

EDIT -

I have an 03 LTE with 9k miles that I would sell for 12K if someone offered me that. Just sayin'

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #11 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Syd, you sure it wasn't the Armor All'd tires slipping and not the clutch, or on second thought maybe the clutch got some Armor All on it too Just kidding. The bike really is cleaned up well, and that is what they are selling you.

There are quite a few extras on there, armrests, backrest, j-pegs, spider mount, probably a few I missed, all worth about $750-$1000. At 19K miles the clutch is not wore out but is lubed with oil. If you decide to go with this beaut, be sure to require another test ride after the repairs, just to make sure all else is good, since the slipping clutch has had all your attention thus far. Then make sure all the seals at the back of the engine, tranny seals, and clutch slave have been replaced. These are the things that will contaminate the clutch, and should be replaced while they are in there anyway.

10 grand is definitely more appropriate than 11.5. There is plenty of backup available to support a lower price. Don't let the dealer tell you it's a cherry. Although it is, almost all used LT's are cherries and well cared for.

Good luck,

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #12 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 10:22 pm Thread Starter

Wow! I am looking forward to coming into the BMW family. I really appreciate the quick replies and all the generous advise. Believe me I am sinking this in and thinking twice.

I did think about all the options on it and the extra $$ they are worth. As far as the color I don't mind the color and I plan on keeping for quite some time. My only concern with deciding between the 03 and 05 is the power. I know the clutch was not optimum but it didn't have nearly the power I thought it would. Probably hard to tell though in this condition. I have coworkers that ride BMW's for work and they always talk about the nice pickup and speed. Now I'm not looking to race.....too old for that. But after having my Vstar I was quite disappointed in the 45hp off the showroom floor.

So overall the consensus is to hold out for an 05?
post #13 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm

Yup.. I have an '05.. it is quite a different ride. You also have things such as the HP boost, possible better Final Drive design, different lighting arrangement, HCS, better throttle cables.. etc..

If you can spring for an '05, or even lease NEW you would be better off. I say that because as you are travelling with your son, you'll enjoy the added peace of mind of an extended warranty on an '05, or full warranty of new.

Welcome aboard, come back often.. all the best for your trip...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #14 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Lease??? Never knew you could lease a bike.
post #15 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 10:57 pm

This isn't a "bike".. it's a BMW!!! =)

Yeah.. there is a 3 year lease option.. of course, you have to qualify..but it may be an option for you.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #16 of 30 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 11:10 pm Thread Starter

How do I find out what model this is:

2006 K1200LT

The vin decoder said it was LT-M. What does that mean? This "BMW" is in the next city to me.
post #17 of 30 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 7:23 am

Quote:
How do I find out what model this is:

2006 K1200LT

The vin decoder said it was LT-M. What does that mean? This "BMW" is in the next city to me.
By 2005 BMW wasn't assigning models anymore. They are all the same, with most options similar. The buyer could add some things such as GPS and Intercom. Everything else is pretty much standard.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #18 of 30 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 12:08 pm

Beware the VIN Decoder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
I agree w/ Ted & Gilles - $10K after clutch is fixed. I have an '03 with about 42K - no clutch issues here whatsoever. btw - your build date is May 2003 (same as mine, but mine came off the line 107 bikes in front of yours! I'm happy w/ my '03 but agree you should check out the 05's or newer.

here is a link to decode any BMW VIN#:
http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

Good luck & happy searching.
Just a word of advice using the VIN decoder. Don't put too much stock into what it spits out based on the last 7 characters of the VIN. I punched in the numbers for my '05 LT and the results looked pretty accurate. Then I tried my '07 GS Adventure (R1200GSA)... not even close. According to the decoder, the VIN number is from a K1200R Sport that was built in June 2005. I called BMW and inquired about my VIN and they verified that belongs to my '07. It's not really a huge problem, but folks need to be aware of the shortcomings of the decoder and to call BMW Customer Service to accurately verify a VIN.

BMW Customer Service: (800) 831-1117

BTW Syd... got your both of your e-mails this morning. They came way past my bedtime last night! Anyway, I replied with my phone number so you can give me a call about the '05 LT. No slip in the clutch and plenty of power!

R.I.P. George Wood 6-24-07
R.I.P. Harry Woolf 5-18-09
"Ride In Peace"

'07 R1200GSA - 27000 miles "Mad Max"

'06 FLHTCUI - 36K "Geezr"

'03 FLHT - 35K "Junior"

'05 K1200LT - 19K "Lumbering Rhinoceros" Sold

"We're reaching critical mass!"
post #19 of 30 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 7:49 pm

Sounds like there is a good posibility that the slave cylinder and/or rear main seal on the engine is bad. If it leaking, the clutch plate will be come contaminated. The clutch and seals and possibly the slave cylinder will have to be replaced. Easy 2000.00 job.

That also leads me to believe that whatever seals didn't fail may fail in the near future ... How many miles on the bike? If it has been sitting for an extended period of time, the seals can go bad.

Stay clear of that deal no matter the price..
post #20 of 30 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 11:20 pm

In my never to be humble opinion you may be tempted because of the Farkles IE the bak up and the arm rests for your young son. If it is fixed and the dealer includes a warranty (yes they offer warranty's for used bikes) so if the seals go like most here think they will you'll be covered. If it were me I'd keep looking.

Hackercraft
03 LTE
72 75/5 Gone to a new home
03 R1200CLC Hannigan Classic ordered

BMWOA # 134205

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
post #21 of 30 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 1:32 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerBeemer66
Just a word of advice using the VIN decoder. Don't put too much stock into what it spits out based on the last 7 characters of the VIN. I punched in the numbers for my '05 LT and the results looked pretty accurate. Then I tried my '07 GS Adventure (R1200GSA)... not even close. According to the decoder, the VIN number is from a K1200R Sport that was built in June 2005. I called BMW and inquired about my VIN and they verified that belongs to my '07. It's not really a huge problem, but folks need to be aware of the shortcomings of the decoder and to call BMW Customer Service to accurately verify a VIN.
fwiw - over the last 4 1/2 years I think you are the first person who has mentioned any inaccuracies with the VIN decoder - so maybe there is just some glitch with your GSA data.

My 1990 BMW 525i even comes up correctly!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #22 of 30 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 2:55 pm

Glitch Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
fwiw - over the last 4 1/2 years I think you are the first person who has mentioned any inaccuracies with the VIN decoder - so maybe there is just some glitch with your GSA data.

My 1990 BMW 525i even comes up correctly!

You're probably right Ted. "Glitch" is my middle name. I'm the kinda guy whose luck goes like this:

I quit smoking after 25 years only to be run over by a Marlboro truck after leaving my Smokers Anonymous meeting!

That's OK. I secretly know that my R1200GSA is really just a K1200RS dressed in drag!!!

R.I.P. George Wood 6-24-07
R.I.P. Harry Woolf 5-18-09
"Ride In Peace"

'07 R1200GSA - 27000 miles "Mad Max"

'06 FLHTCUI - 36K "Geezr"

'03 FLHT - 35K "Junior"

'05 K1200LT - 19K "Lumbering Rhinoceros" Sold

"We're reaching critical mass!"
post #23 of 30 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 9:01 pm

I have a 03 with about 20,000 miles that i bought new knock on wood I have never had any issues with mine . It is also impala brown I really like the color because you dont see that many and have had many compliments on the bike when i travel.
post #24 of 30 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 10:41 am

Have you taken an LT for a ride yet Syd?

The local dealer here thought it would be a great idea to test ride an LT when I stopped by to look at one when I was shopping for a new bike.

Bob 00LT

PS: you'll want to look at the adjustable height rear passenger floor boards.
post #25 of 30 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 4:34 pm

My 00 showing 50000 miles on the clock and I have never had a problem with my clutch and slavecylinder, - yet. I have just replaced my rear wheel bearing, just in a inspection and it was finished. There was no damage on the final drive unit.
post #26 of 30 Old Feb 27th, 2008, 11:52 pm Thread Starter

Re: Looking at '03 K1200LT w/clutch issue

Well, I fly out Saturday for New Orleans. Picking up my 05 from "Big E" in Prairieville, LA. It's a beautiful blue loaded and it seems that he has really babied her. Shipping my Vstar to the Canadian buyer ( what's with those Canadians buying bikes from down here????? ) Friday. I'm like a kid waiting to open a Christmas present.

I took everyone's advise and steered clear of the problematic 03 I was looking at.

Elton told me about a Dallas area wrenching group that he has met with. Anybody here part of that group? I want to learn as much as I can to avoid the costly maintenance.

Syd
post #27 of 30 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 7:25 am

Seems very high for an 03 with issues. I just purchased an 02, babied, w/ 12K for much less. I would just be patient. There are many out there. Try classifieds here or craigslist. good luck.
post #28 of 30 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 9:39 am

Quote:

Link to the bike

Just like mine!! Same beautifull color an all except I dont have the arm rests in the back.
I bought mine at Dixie Cycles at Pompano Beach and it is currently on its way over the pond to me in Norway. Cant wayt to drive it
1 Thing though, if it is made after 05-2002 then you hve the new Final Drive and the FD problems should apprently be almost non exsistant
Mine was 14.203 miles and I payed 12100 USD for it including 600 dollars shipping but minus the garmin navigator. Mine is cosidered exelent in machine and exterior.

I am sure that if I lived in the USA and would buy an LT from anyone, I would much rather have the 05 and I am sure that you may get them to pretty low prices now that the US econemy is hurting so much!

Importing an LT newer then 15 june 2003 is a darn pain in papers and tests within the EU, not worth it so I got one registered before that time. Go for an 05 or newer!

Last edited by paalao; Feb 28th, 2008 at 9:51 am.
post #29 of 30 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 11:14 am

FWIW, I picked up an '06 with Navigation system with less than 18K miles for 17K from a local dealer. After taxes and the fees for the extra warrenty it was 19K+. But I have the factory warrety then Western until 2012 if I remember correctly.

Do I think it was a good deal? I think it was a fair deal to say the least. And while I was there the dealer got a call to buy it sight unseen. His reply ... "What you mean this motorcycle I just sold less than 3 seconds ago?"

There are some motorcycles that if you hesitate on will be gone before you can get serious about the purchase.

As for power, it pulls well but is not going to perform like a naked bike. It weights 850 pounds and only has a 1200 cc motor. It's also not a high rever like many japenese bikes so it feels differently. But both my RT & LT will hit triple digits speeds before you know it and will hold their own with any comparable motorcycles.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #30 of 30 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 8:36 pm

Quote:
Well, I fly out Saturday for New Orleans. Picking up my 05 from "Big E" in Prairieville, LA. It's a beautiful blue loaded and it seems that he has really babied her. Shipping my Vstar to the Canadian buyer ( what's with those Canadians buying bikes from down here????? ) Friday. I'm like a kid waiting to open a Christmas present.

I took everyone's advise and steered clear of the problematic 03 I was looking at.

Elton told me about a Dallas area wrenching group that he has met with. Anybody here part of that group? I want to learn as much as I can to avoid the costly maintenance.

Syd
Hey "Munster Garage" & "The Flush Brothers" allow me to introduce Syd Grant from your area, he's picking up my LT Saturday. I'm going to miss her!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in