ipod Interference - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 9:13 am Thread Starter

ipod Interference

Hi to the USA from the UK. I am the proud owner of a K1200lt 04. I've installed an autocom system on it and I've also installed an iPod in a waterproof iPod box on the right hand handle bar.
The music from the iPod comes from the speaker socket and there is a charger wired into the multipin socket at the bottom.
It works OK - ish - but I do get engine related buzzing in the earphones especially if I turn the charger on. Also, with the charger on the iPod seems to be prone to locking up and having to be reset. Any wizards out there who can help me?http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/newthrea...ewthread&f=11#
Confused
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 9:34 am

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum from the UK (it's not all American's out here!!).

I use an iPod on my LT - I don't have the interference problem (It sounds like either an earth loop problem (does it go away when you remove the charger) or pickup on the cables - try shielding them), but I did have the 'lock-up' problem - caused by vibration forcing the HDD to shut down. I've got round this by using a Shuffle - all solid state and in excess of 19 hours battery life.

I've got an Icelink which I shall plug into the back of the radio when I get round to it so then I'll get track info on the display, and be able to control the pod from the bar controls - then I'll have to go back to the video iPod and mount it in bubblewrap in the ashtray !!

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitnsawdust
Hi to the USA from the UK. I am the proud owner of a K1200lt 04. I've installed an autocom system on it and I've also installed an iPod in a waterproof iPod box on the right hand handle bar.
The music from the iPod comes from the speaker socket and there is a charger wired into the multipin socket at the bottom.
It works OK - ish - but I do get engine related buzzing in the earphones especially if I turn the charger on. Also, with the charger on the iPod seems to be prone to locking up and having to be reset. Any wizards out there who can help me?
Classic ground loop, very common with Autocom. You will probably find it works great when running off the battery alone and not connected to the charger (which is supplying the other ground in the loop). You need to isolate the audio leads using a transformer. Since this is music (I assume you're not just listening to podcasts), you need a good quality stereo transformer, not the cheap little 1:1 devices from Radio Shack (which will eliminate the noise, and also about half of the audio fidelity). Most car stereo shops have them, Autocom will sell you one (pricey), and even Radio Shack has one (Catalog #: 270-054). Most come with the wrong connectors, so you either need a kludge of adapters, or heat up your soldering iron and change them.

The lock-up is probably not related to the charger, but more likely vibration. iPods don't do well with a lot of vibration, they play for a while (about 20 minutes) then lock up. On my RT, when I had the iPod on the bars it would always lock up. Moved it to the tank bag and it was fine. On the LT it is in the side case (and attached to the DICE) and seems to be happy there.

Good Luck!

-Scurrie

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
All Roads Lead To Roads...

post #4 of 4 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

Cheers Woolly and Scurrie - I'll have a play and get back to you with the results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in