Brake recalls on Evo brakes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 7:10 am Thread Starter

Brake recalls on Evo brakes

Spoke to my dealer today (tuesday)and he has imformed me that Bmw are recalling all bikes with the EVO brakes built from 20001 to date for a free brake check due to some bloke in germany falling off his bike whilst trying to impress the crowds whilst doing stunts at a german show.
Apparranty the ABS works using the power of the battery , and this bloke was demonstrating just how good the Abs works , and it failed after the sixth attempt and he fell off . (battery went flat)
Unfortunatly the press have got this imfomation and bmw have decided to act before the main news papers get hold of this imfo
The check will take approx half an hour , and all owners will receive a letter from Bmw in the near future.
There has also been an amendment to the servicing of the brakes , which requires the main circuit of the braking system , the fluid is to be changed every four years and not every two years , but the wheel circuit every year .
This has happened because owners have been complaining to Bmw about the price they charge to change the fluid.

04 your 05
graphite in Blighty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesnumbnuts
Spoke to my dealer today (tuesday)and he has imformed me that Bmw are recalling all bikes with the EVO brakes built from 20001 to date for a free brake check due to some bloke in germany falling off his bike whilst trying to impress the crowds whilst doing stunts at a german show.
Apparranty the ABS works using the power of the battery , and this bloke was demonstrating just how good the Abs works , and it failed after the sixth attempt and he fell off . (battery went flat)
Unfortunatly the press have got this imfomation and bmw have decided to act before the main news papers get hold of this imfo
The check will take approx half an hour , and all owners will receive a letter from Bmw in the near future.
There has also been an amendment to the servicing of the brakes , which requires the main circuit of the braking system , the fluid is to be changed every four years and not every two years , but the wheel circuit every year .
This has happened because owners have been complaining to Bmw about the price they charge to change the fluid.

04 your 05
graphite in Blighty.
Thanks for the post -- more info here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...=recall+brakes

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #3 of 16 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 4:32 am

hi bikesnumnuts , finally got my LT to dealers for brake service , remember the red lights always flashing ! had the problem on and off since september . in brief the dealer found no error messages in memory, did full fluid change and hooray me lights have finally gone out ! can now take the black tape off the dash lights ! luckily got to talk to the mechcanic just before leaving he confirmed " no problems found" however front brake was slightly out of adjustment and may have been putting a slight pressure into the system---- small clue here ! looking forward to flash free riding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dr Dave ( shrews toy run- blue LT)

post #4 of 16 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 8:10 am

Mark--thanks for all the info on this--you've helped me understand another amazing component of my bike.
post #5 of 16 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 9:28 am

Hey--off topic here, but I jis realized I've been moved from "junior member" to "member!"

Oohhhhh.....Aahhhhhhhhh!!!! I will be partying nakes toNITE!

Thanks Modfolk!!!
post #6 of 16 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDAVE
he confirmed " no problems found" however front brake was slightly out of adjustment and may have been putting a slight pressure into the system---- small clue here ! looking forward to flash free riding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dr Dave ( shrews toy run- blue LT)
BS, there are no "adjustments" to the breaks. There could of been a problem with them (piston not returning fully), but it was not an adjustment.

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #7 of 16 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 6:37 pm

Congradulations, but the moderators had nothing to do with you going from Junior Member to Member. You did it all on your own by posting. As your post count goes up, so does your ranking. But you can thank the moderators for putting the counters in place.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 2:03 pm

same with mine

My ABS lights have been flashing too. The dealer has reset them twice, and said if it happened again, he would try the flush. I hope that is all it is. A new ABS unit is $1600 plus labor. jrlakin
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:58 am

I had the same problem with the lights flashing and THANK YOU to BMWPHREAK I learned that as the pads wear, the fluid level drops, as the level drops, there is a level indicator which will set off your lights if the fluid is low.
You may want to add a couple ounces to your reservoir (front and rear chamber) and see if that makes the difference. Make sure you bring the level all the way up - the Level indicator is VERY sensitive so even an ounce or two will make the difference.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:30 pm

Adding fluid fixed my lights also

When my lights started flashing, I checked the fluid and it was low in the rear cylinder (harder than it should be because of the body parts). Added fluid, and the lights stopped flashing.

I don't see how many miles you have on it in your post, you may want to check the pads first to make sure they don't need replacing, as the replacements will probably bring the fluid level up.

Jeff
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 1:39 am
Gold Supporter

Garage
brake fluid change

I'm coming up on my 12K. I do most of the wrench'in myself except the brake bleed and flush. I asked the service manager at a dealer in SoCal about the wheel circuit every year and the control every other. He said he advises his customers to just do them both at 2 years. Does this guy know what he's talking about? I was hoping not to have to bring the bike in for just the wheel circuit. Also, quoted me 3 hours labor @ $77 per hour for the flush.

Todd/graydude

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 2:37 am

Did you ever got that letter?
I never got it so far... 8 months??

Just wondering if that recall was for real.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #13 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 7:37 am Thread Starter

see your local dealer ,as your name and ownership might not be on bmw,s computer , and the recall might have been sent to the last registered owner if you had the bike second hand.

regards bikenumbnuts
04 your 05
in blighty
post #14 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
My ABS lights have been flashing too. The dealer has reset them twice, and said if it happened again, he would try the flush. I hope that is all it is. A new ABS unit is $1600 plus labor. jrlakin

what year is your bike?

on '02 up the rear resevoir has two compartments, one you can see through your saddle bag the other you can not, remove your right side cover just in front of the saddle bag the front level never gets checked, see where it says side2.....

here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear brake.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	5955  

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #15 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 8:34 am
Bouncer

Maybe your bike isn't effected.

http://www.recall-warnings.com/auto-content-15032.html

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #16 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 8:35 am
Bouncer

And the BIG brake recall doesn't include the K1200LT

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...intVersion=YES

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...intVersion=YES

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in