Any LT owners come from an RT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

Any LT owners come from an RT?

I was at the D.C. bike show and after spending week looking forward to a new LT I found myself being led to an RT. The thing is, that by the time I put all of the goodies I want on an RT like a radio, GPS mount, convenience and safety stuff, I am up to the price of a new LT with everything standard.

I was also wondering... exactly what is the maintenance schedule like on the LT? Do LT owners get soaked with maint costs compared to other models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 1:30 am

Any LT owners come from an RT?

Owning both an LT and 1150RT, the maintenance costs are pretty much the same. Each has its own issues that an aftermartket work around was well worth it (LT headlight, rear brake rotor, no tunes or GPS on RT) and common issues (seat, shocks) that the aftermarket solves as well.

The take the same oil, same oil filter, same transmission fluid, same brake fluid, same fuel filter, and have the same 6k mile service interval. They have different air filters, brake pads, brake discs, and tires. Most of the items are the same price, so its a wash. Valve adjustments are different on both bikes, but neither is a daunting task after you learn how to do it. Servicing the brake servo is easier on the LT because you don't have to remove the fuel tank.

The RT does better on gas mileage, seeing as its a few hundred pounds lighter than the LT. The LT has better weather protection and has less engine vibration.

Learn how to maintain your bike yourself and you'll keep a lot more of your money in your pocket.

In the end, its a wash cost-wise. It boils down to which bike fits you best along with your riding needs. We rarely do 2 up, and she rides the RT 99.9% of the time. Her custom seat doesn't fit me, and the LT is so smooth, so I really don't like riding the RT. She has ridden the LT a few times, but since I put the Ohlins on it, she can't touch the ground. This has kept the number of LTs in the garage at 1.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 5:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoseph
I was at the D.C. bike show and after spending week looking forward to a new LT I found myself being led to an RT. The thing is, that by the time I put all of the goodies I want on an RT like a radio, GPS mount, convenience and safety stuff, I am up to the price of a new LT with everything standard.

I was also wondering... exactly what is the maintenance schedule like on the LT? Do LT owners get soaked with maint costs compared to other models?
That is the biggest reason why I kept the LT. All the goodies already on the bike. I love my RTP for work, but enjoy my LT as the "off duty" bike.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 6:56 am

And rumor has it John rides his LT like he's still on the work motor.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 7:44 am

RT to LT

I went from a RT1150 to the LT in 2003. My son has a RT1200 and I ride it once in a while. For open road, the LT is great. In the twisties--the LT is only very slightly more work than the RT. Main differece is that the RT engine has more usable/accessable torque. I ride solo 99.9% of the time.

LT fits me better (there is more room from pegs to bars to seat.

If you are riding one up and the RT fits---the RT may be the better choice.

Maintenance costs are about the same. Gas milage is about the same. My son and I ride together a lot and I am always surprised that we get the same milage.

Either bike is exceptional.
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 9:50 am
mos

I have gone from the 05 R1200RT to the 05 K12LT. Why ? I ride most of the miles two up and the LT is way better for the passenger. I like both bikes . I have maintaned both . The RT is easier to work on but your are servicing it every 6,000 miles {Valves, etc}. The LT requires service every 12,000 {valves, etc} and more time to do it. Tires last longer on the LT. Both handle well but the RT is better in the tight stuff. RT is higher off the ground than the LT. They both are great bikes. Pick the one that best fits you and your riding style.
Mike
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 11:12 am

Our/my very limited BMW experience started with a used 99RT in Oct. I must say, it looked REALLY COOL!

We owned this just three weeks, took a four day tour with it and while it was fun, I was ready to quit riding, again, as soon as we got back. I had way too much difficulty getting my pillion on and off, it always felt like it wanted to fall over, which it did the very first moment after it was purchased.

Too confining for two up riding, not enough wind protection for highway use IMO, did not like the vibration and higher use of rmp's, the transmission was the absolutely the worst of any bike I have ever been on (riding since 1979), suspension and brakes were very smooth however, had problems with throttle locking up when I used the heated grips, mirrors feel off and were not tethered, sat way too high for my 29" inseam, and some other oddities.

It was purchased with the intent for riding two up most of the time, and definitely not the right bike for us.

We stopped at the dealer on the way home, saw a 99LT for sale and I now felt it didn't look quit so intimidating as it did prior to owning the RT, and gave that a test run. I loved it from the first five minutes on the bike. It was oh so smooth and quiet.

My ignorance about any part of owning any BMW cost us, but I don't think there is another bike out there I would have wanted to own. I came from a full dress Suzuki GS850 some 18 yrs ago, so that was my baseline comparison. This was all that, and more.

Don't know how survived all those years without an electric windshield!
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 2:15 pm

I went from an R90/6 (bare bike) to a 2000 RT which seemed pretty hefty riding two up. Then my wife (pillion only) saw a 2005 LT & after that, the RT seems like a really fun solo bike. But the R90/6 is still fun too.

It's all relative.......

'75 R90/6
'00 R2000RT
'05 K1200LT
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 4:35 pm

I went from a 2006LT to a 2007 RT. I ride solo and for me the RT is much more fun to ride. I don't have the stereo but I use an IPOD and I find it better than the LT stereo.
post #10 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 6:00 pm

I went from a '03 LT to a '07RT and will never go back. The LT is too heavy and a lot of work to ride in a city environment. The RT is hundreds of pounds lighter and more fun with more accessible power. I ride two up 50% of the time.

Jim

"We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle--
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 3:11 am

Try out an RT with the ESA. ESA is a great feature especially with two up.It is not on the LT. The RT is a better "in-town" bike than the LT. The LT is nice two up.

This article says a lot about the nimble RT and might be helpful in your decision.

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...-R-1200-RT.htm
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 7:16 am

Went from 04 R1150R to an 02'LT. I really like the creature comforts of the LT. I find I can toss the LT around better then my friends Gold wing. Miss the engine braking going into corners, but the brakes make up for that.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in