Project Report - BMR CoPilot - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

Project Report - BMR CoPilot

This is a project report on the installation of a BMR Co-pilot shelf system. The bike is a 2006 K1200LT that was factory equipped with the Garmin Motorad Navigator II GPS mounted atop the stingray. Although it was very functional in that location, it did visually block both the ignition key and the LCD display to a small extent. I also wanted to add several other electronic goodies. After researching all the possible options I decided on the Co-Pilot system since it seemed to get good reviews and was very versatile.

After unpacking all the parts, I was immediately impressed with the workmanship and materials. The package included several options in terms of hardware and finish. I choose the stainless screws and the black plastic covers for the two accessory arms. The mounting instructions were clear and concise with text and color photographs. They even include the spade drill necessary for the rubber mounting nuts.

The project took on some more complexity after a trip to the local dealer revealed that a longer wiring harness was not available to relocate the GPS up to the Co-Pilot shelf. I also discovered that there was no 'filler plate' to cover the holes left in the stingray once the factory mount was removed. As a side note, the bike is also fitted with integrated factory intercom system. Since the GPS cuts in on the audio, and I wanted to retain that functionality, I ended up making an extended harness. I cut the stock cable just proximal to where it plugs into the wiring harness - just to the left of the radio housing. Then approximately 32" of 24 gauge wiring was soldered between both segments of the cable. The entire assembly was wrapped in shrink tube to prevent against moisture. Routing of the wires was simple and straightforward up to the dashboard. Other installations I had seen either routed the wires through the small opening in the map light or removed the light completely. Since I would be installing satellite radio as well, and would be pulling additional wires, I opted to drill a 1" hole in the underside of the dash just left of center. All wiring was routed through that hole, encased in wire loom, and routed through the hole in the Co-Pilot shelf.

The wire bundle included the factory portion of the GPS harness, power for the satellite radio, the excess antenna wire for the radio and a 1/8" stereo connector for audio out. The satellite radio antenna cable was very long and I did not want all that bulky wire visible through the windshield so it was routed back under the dash and cable tied. The actual receiver portion of the antenna is mounted next to the GPS on the Co-Pilot shelf. The other end of the 1/8" stereo cable was routed into the CD housing through a small hole that was drilled at the rear. The CD player was unscrewed and the cable was run into the oddments box where it was plugged into the AUX input.

Once all the wiring was complete the Co-Pilot shelf was mounted to the dashboard and each of the components was attached and tested. The remainder of the exposed wiring was wrapped in wire loom. The hole left in the stingray from the factory GPS mount was covered with a BMW roundel (pn 52537686464). The windshield was reinstalled and tested for clearance of the new components.

Impressions:
  • The BMR Co-Pilot shelf is excellent. Well made and worth every penny I paid for it, and I am very happy with the final results. One minor detail; I had to file a small portion of the satellite radio mount in two locations to allow clearance for two of the connectors (power and audio out).
  • The project took longer than I expected, a total of two days. One was spent doing disassembly, fabrication and testing. The next day was reassembly, finishing details and cleanup.
  • This was my first go at removing the tupperware. Thanks to all who posted instructions. I ended up going way deeper that I first expected. Removal of the GPS mount took the bulk of the time.
  • The factory GPS mount positions the GPS unit at a less than ideal angle on the Co-Pilot shelf. I plan to change the mount with another from BMR as soon as I can discuss it with them.

Costs:
  • BMR $186, Co-Pilot shelf and accessories
  • BMW $37.85, roundel and power tap splitter
  • Radio Shack $45.00, 24 ga wire, 18 ga wire, power outlet, fuse block, audio cables)
  • Misc $20.00, (wire loom, grommets, shrink tubing, cable ties, Velcro, assorted connectors

Before

After

Art
aka Kartcon

Last edited by kartcon; Jan 13th, 2008 at 8:48 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 9:51 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Art nice job and welcome to the site. You will find it very helpful.
The garage, man den, looks good as well

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 9:54 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Art after further examination love the vette, a man after my own heart

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

post #4 of 4 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 11:12 pm

Garage
Great job, Art, and welcome to the forum. Your name suits you, since what you've done is very artistic. Enjoy your toys and happy riding to you. BTW, I agree with gglove: nice Vette.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in