2003 LTC/E with 1800 miles - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 5:32 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 42
2003 LTC/E with 1800 miles

Price seems a bit high.

LT C - KBB for 11110
LT E - KBB for 12160

Pics are pristene and dealer serviced (stored). But the 13500 is too high.

How high do you expect is too high? Cycletrader is showing 15-25000 mile bikes for 12900.

I've searched but didn't come across one of these threads for an '03.
used2jeep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 5:46 pm
Senior Member
 
sheldan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: kings mountain, NC, usa
Posts: 2,099
see if they will come down in price a bit, if not and you dont want to pay that much, move on, always other bikes around. The choice is yours.
sheldan2 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 5:46 pm
Senior Member
 
mwnahas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bedford Hts, OH, USA
Posts: 4,218
My 2003 in March of 05 with 1300 miles on was $11,500 from an individual. Dealer prices then were 1 or 2K higher.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
mwnahas is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 7:13 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Littleton, CO, USA
Posts: 937
I wouldn't go near it with a 10 foot poll. With such low mileage, that bike has been sitting around for a long time. I bet the seals on the engine and transmission will leak very soon and that is a very expensive repair. Add that to the price, and you have a very risky ride.

I would look for one with more mileage that has been running.

I bought my '03 in '05 with 800 miles on it and sure enough had the problems that I had mentioned. There is a rule of thumb that you probably have heard: If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Good Luck but keep looking...
rglassma is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 7:50 pm
Senior Member
 
wacolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Waco, TX, USA
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
I wouldn't go near it with a 10 foot poll. With such low mileage, that bike has been sitting around for a long time. I bet the seals on the engine and transmission will leak very soon and that is a very expensive repair. Add that to the price, and you have a very risky ride.

I would look for one with more mileage that has been running.

I bought my '03 in '05 with 800 miles on it and sure enough had the problems that I had mentioned. There is a rule of thumb that you probably have heard: If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Good Luck but keep looking...
What he said!

4-5 year-old bike with 1800 miles? Like a horse with 4 white hooves.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
wacolt is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 9:39 pm
BMW Guru
 
Ted Shred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nor Cal, , USA
Posts: 8,469
I bought an 03 in May of 2007 with only 3000 miles. Those miles were put on the bike during the 1st year so I had been sitting for three years.

The bike now has 10k and has been perfect.

If you can get it for a price you're comfortable with, then buy it. I would ask to see some service records for annual services though. Fluids still need to be flushed even if the bike isn't being ridden.

__________
2016 R1200GS Adventure
2006 DRZ400E

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ted Shred is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 9:44 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!
 
gglove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mount Pleasant South Carolina
Posts: 1,239
I agree in general with the group, lot of money for an 03' and yes your more likely to have some costly problems because of the low mileage.
Good luck with your decision.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
gglove is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 7:02 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Littleton, CO, USA
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
I bought an 03 in May of 2007 with only 3000 miles. Those miles were put on the bike during the 1st year so I had been sitting for three years.

The bike now has 10k and has been perfect.

If you can get it for a price you're comfortable with, then buy it. I would ask to see some service records for annual services though. Fluids still need to be flushed even if the bike isn't being ridden.

Mine was great with 10K also.. When it hit 25K, it started leaking from the bell housing seal. That was repaired and then the transmission output shaft seal started leaking...

I hope you don't experience the problems that I did. Make sure you keep checking under the engine for moistness, tranny fluid, etc. If it happens, get it repaired immediately or it could contaminate your clutch.. You may also consider drilling a weep hole just in case the internal seal to the slave cylinder starts to leak... It will save your clutch if you have the problem.

I wouldn't have mentioned it if it wasn't so common. That extended warranty sure saved me alot of money..
rglassma is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 8:22 am
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,291
$500 more you can get an 05 loaded with extra's.

http://www.bmwlt.com/classifieds/sho...ate/1197997014
Big_E is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 8:31 am
Senior Member
 
murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Stroudsburg, PA, USA
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by used2jeep
Price seems a bit high.

LT C - KBB for 11110
LT E - KBB for 12160

Pics are pristene and dealer serviced (stored). But the 13500 is too high.

How high do you expect is too high? Cycletrader is showing 15-25000 mile bikes for 12900.

I've searched but didn't come across one of these threads for an '03.
I would offer $10,000 and tell them why. Unless they include a extended warranty the low offer should cover weeping seal replacement etc.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
murray is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:43 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 42
That's true too. I hadn't really thought of that. I certainly don't want to insult the seller by saying that it is overpriced. But this is a good tack at it.
used2jeep is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 10:55 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Linden, Michigan, USA
Posts: 74
I got my 03LTE from a dealer in Columbus Ohio this past summer for $11,500 with a one year warranty, and 21,000 miles. E is worth more with the GPS wired in and the cup holder and comm system. Service records are a must.

Hackercraft
03 LTE
72 75/5 Gone to a new home
03 R1200CLC Hannigan Classic ordered

BMWOA # 134205

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Hackercraft792 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1800 miles on a GW... DaleB K1200LT 0 Aug 20th, 2007 4:52 pm
Triple BBG-Ride Report murray Ride Tales 8 Nov 20th, 2005 7:34 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome