Brake failure problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

Brake failure problems

I have a 2002 LTC and the brake failure lights are flashing. I have checked the brake fluid levels (front and rear) and topped up the front reservoir. I pulled the calipers on the front and the pads have lots of wear left. Any other things I can check before I make an appointment with the dealer?

Dave B
Calgary, Alberta
08 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 6:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The front is not monitored but here are two chambers in the rear with two fill caps and two sensors. Make sure you check both. If this is a wig wag type flash that is usually fluid levels.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 7:53 pm

^^ What he said^^ There are two chambers in the rear bottle. The forward chamber cap is hidden from easy view by the tupperware and can fool ya. You pop 3 screws. Open the right side case to see two of the screws - trunk deck and rear tupper, and one screw about mid-driver seat joining the front and rear tupper, then you can pry the rear tupper away far enough to check and fill the forward chamber of the rear resevoir.

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:08 pm

He's got a 2002. Isn't the rear reservoir only a single chamber?

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 7:17 am

Nope. As I understand it, '99 to '01 have ABS II brakes and only have single reservior. '02 and up have the integral brakes and have dual reserviors.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #6 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 8:58 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Nope. As I understand it, '99 to '01 have ABS II brakes and only have single reservoir. '02 and up have the integral brakes and have dual reserviors.
That must change in later years as my 07 has on 1 reservoir. It did add some confusion on my part until someone chimed in and said it was not a duel on a 07. Not sure of the year change though.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 9:53 am

Steve's right, 2002 LT's have dual rear resevoir. Make sure both are filled to the MAX. line.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #8 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:28 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
That must change in later years as my 07 has on 1 reservoir. It did add some confusion on my part until someone chimed in and said it was not a duel on a 07. Not sure of the year change though.
The year change was 05 and up. There are still two monitored reservoirs its just that they are both ON the ABS unit now. The single rear just feeds the rear control circuit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:54 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
The year change was 05 and up. There are still two monitored reservoirs its just that they are both ON the ABS unit now. The single rear just feeds the rear control circuit.
Yea that is what I meant to say

Seriously it was a bit confusing in the beginning, but then reading the brake flush and bleeding procedures I saw that the ABS unit has two reservoirs on it so that did clear up the confusion, and of course the people on this forum pointed me to correct information.

While I like the ABS I could do without the linked and probably the ABS for what it means on maintenance procedures. I will have to call out for a Tech Session on that adventure.

As I said in the beginning of ownership on fluid inspections, I was trying to find that second cap on the rear reservoir.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 1:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
While I like the ABS I could do without the linked and probably the ABS for what it means on maintenance procedures.
If you haven't had to use the ABS yet, then be thankful. The first time you use them and they save your bacon, you'll be glad you had them. DAMHIK.

And one more thing, if you've never gone to some parking lot and tried a panic stop making the ABS, IMHO you need to. Otherwise you'll be in for a real suprise in an actual situation.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #11 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 2:04 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

One Missed Reservoir

Hi Dave,
I think you may have missed the other reservoir. It's quite hard to see and is a bit of a pain to get at.
I had the identical problem you're talking about (flashing brake failure lights -- wig wag style) and that's what it was. A very easy fix ....
Good day to have a look at it too. See it's above 0 degrees there today. Enjoy!
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbroughton
I have a 2002 LTC and the brake failure lights are flashing. I have checked the brake fluid levels (front and rear) and topped up the front reservoir. I pulled the calipers on the front and the pads have lots of wear left. Any other things I can check before I make an appointment with the dealer?
post #12 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 2:23 pm Thread Starter

Failure lights flashing

I pulled the side cover off the bike and sure enough, the front of the two rear reservoir compartments was right on the "min" mark. I topped it up and the lights stopped flashing! Now, just to take it for a test ride. Nice dry roads for January in Calgary and +5 degrees right now.

I find it really strange that the service manual talks about checking brake fluid levels but nothing about the front reservoir and no sight glass on the bike to even indicate there is a second reservoir.

Thanks all for the quick replies.

Dave B
Calgary, Alberta
08 R1200RT
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 4:08 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
If you haven't had to use the ABS yet, then be thankful. The first time you use them and they save your bacon, you'll be glad you had them. DAMHIK.

And one more thing, if you've never gone to some parking lot and tried a panic stop making the ABS, IMHO you need to. Otherwise you'll be in for a real suprise in an actual situation.
I have used the ABS and while I appreciate it, I could live without it. I especially can do without the linked system.

ABS does not make up for good riding practices, watching the road, and keeping correct distances, and riding within your limits and the conditions you are in.

Not going to disable it, even if I could, but it is not what sold me on the bike.

It is a nice feature on the bike as it is in cars but it will not make you invincible, and nothing will make you a better rider except experience.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 4:19 pm

Does everything work? If the cruise or the speedo are acting up, check the rear abs sensor. I have a 02 that had the same trouble. BMW put the wire ties on too tight and it breaks the wire under the wire casing. Its right where the wire goes up from the swingarm under the seat.
They changed it twice and the last time I clipped the wire ties off at that point and then no trouble the last 80000 miles.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 4:47 pm

I'm sorry if I assumed too much. You are absolutely correct in everything you said, but if you need them you got them. I won't have another bike without them. In Atlanta, even doing everything correctly they've saved my bacon at least once a month. BTW, I'm an everyday rider and should be going to my every other year rider course this year.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #16 of 18 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 9:14 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

No worries.

When I got my first car with ABS and Traction Control I really had a blast on dry and in snow, playing with each.

The second day I had the LT I tried the ABS in a panic stop to see if the sensation and the action were close to what I thought they would be.

One concern is in cornering if I applied front brake at what point does the linked kick in and apply rear which I really don't want. And what happens when my rear wheel skips and is not in contact with the ground?

I unfortunately am stuck doing a lot of slab to get places these days as they are the first to clear after snow and cant trust my "normal" twisties because of frozen run off and shade/sun issues. So I have not had to deal with insane drivers too much. Or getting cocky and over running my favorite roads.

I don't hate them, I just don't ever lull myself into sleep by thinking something other then my common sense, can keep me alive better.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #17 of 18 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 6:33 am

And you've got the other problem I don't have, linked brakes. My last bike was a '00 and the new is '01, so I don't have the linked issue.

Ride safe and who knows, maybe we'll meet down the road somewhere.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #18 of 18 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 8:37 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
And you've got the other problem I don't have, linked brakes. My last bike was a '00 and the new is '01, so I don't have the linked issue.

Ride safe and who knows, maybe we'll meet down the road somewhere.
That would be great and my privilege for sure.

And I really like you avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in