RT vs LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 2:18 pm Thread Starter

Question RT vs LT

Because of one too many drops my wife now refuses to ride a the big LT. How much easier to handle (with passenger and bags, etc.) would the RT be? I thought I could get a trial ride with her at my local dealer and maybe not have to give up riding a two wheeler. The Lt is now triked (06 hannigan) but is currently for sale (see the classified). I really want to get back to a two wheeler. Med reason for going trike now rectified. Tanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 4:28 pm

The RT is significantly lighter two up or one up. Depending on your inseam though, you may need the lower seat because it seems that the reach to ground is higher then the LT. Don't think your SO will be as comfortable though.
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 9:12 pm

You need to figure out what is causing you to drop the LT.... You may have the same problem with any bike...... Age, strength, how tall are you?

I think the LT is about the same as any other bike I've had,,
2 up riding takes more focus on the stops and starts,,,, have your wife get on and off after you get ready to drive off,,there is no reason for her to be on when you are backing in or out of a parking spot........... Good Luck

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 9:41 pm

In my NTBHO some SO's just can't seem to get the hang of being a good passenger. I've been on wo wheels for 43+ years and my Bride of 40 is great, so much so that I have forgotten she is there. She is 110 lb's and I am pushing 300 so that may contribute but I have ridden others that have scared the ever lovin shit out of me. Just maybe it is not the bike.

Hackercraft
03 LTE
72 75/5 Gone to a new home
03 R1200CLC Hannigan Classic ordered

BMWOA # 134205

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 9:08 am

I find that the lightness of the RT makes it easier to handle for me, but I also "feel" my wife on the back a bit more than on the LT. If she is being a good passenger, then the RT is better. If not, it may be a bit worse.

Hope that helps.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:35 am

Being a good passenger on a motorcycle takes a little knowledge.

Maybe she's fidgiting around at a critical time when you are stopping.

She needs to stay centered with the bike and not put pressure on one foot or the other to "help" you balance the bike.

Seems to me that when we were having similar problems it was because Lindy was trying to "help" too much..

Yes the RT will be much lighter and easier to ride. But if your passenger is leaning or shifting her weight at the wrong time, She can take the both of you to the ground.

HTH

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 16th, 2008, 11:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen
Because of one too many drops my wife now refuses to ride a the big LT. How much easier to handle (with passenger and bags, etc.) would the RT be? I thought I could get a trial ride with her at my local dealer and maybe not have to give up riding a two wheeler. The Lt is now triked (06 hannigan) but is currently for sale (see the classified). I really want to get back to a two wheeler. Med reason for going trike now rectified. Tanks.
I love the expert advice forthcoming on how not to drop the LT, however, the fact still remains that if you get the LT out of her narrow leg strength envelope, over it goes, no matter how many hours/miles you have on her. All it takes is one moment of inattention after a 700 mile ride, for example... Or looking at the hot chick walking into Starbucks on Thursday morning and... Yikes!!

I ride with a few professional riders, i.e., they are retired and that's all they do to the tune of >75,000 miles per year( Iron Butt guys ++). They ride RTs and drop them on a routine basis. Why? Well, they ride so much that they find the holes in the gas station ramps or the black ice outside of the Motel Six, etc.

I would not get rid of the LT because you are dropping it. Just learn to deal with it...

2006 LT
Times dropped(so far): 2
2006 FZ-1
Speeding tickets(so far): 0

IBA

"Four things greater than all things are,-
Women and Horses and Power and War." Rudyard Kipling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in