Give me the scoop!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:00 pm Thread Starter

Give me the scoop!!!

After many bikes and endless searches I am the proud owner of the K1200LT. This is my first BMW and I must say that I am floored. However, this is the most advanced spaceship that I have ever owned. I was wondering if any of you folks can give me some problems you may have encountered with the 07. There doesn't seem to be too much information. Any recalls I should know about? Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:02 pm

Wink

Recalls, Recalls, You Don't Need No Stinkin Recalls
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:21 pm

Hi Eric,

Congrats on your new "Light Truck".

Its a great machine you'll love it.

I assume you are still under warranty?? If so, don't worry. The periodic stops at the dealer will take care of it.

I forgot the URL, but, there are some sites on line that will let you know what is recalled.

Keep in mind, that except for some relatively monor changes, this flagship has been around since 99. Your version (07) is almost identical to my 05. Most of the bigs that will be recalled are fixed. I'm fast approaching 60K and nothing serious has occurred. I did, however, replace my slave at 50K preemptively.

You now own it, as others have said now "Ride it Like you stole IT!"

Enjoy--don't forget to read thoroughly the postings on this site. There is more wisdom here than you will ever get on your own.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:21 pm Thread Starter

recalls

Thanks! Do you know of any major problems I should look out for? I am planning on touring this summer and like to be as informed as possible. I have to say, I was impressed from the start with this bike. It seems to beat the Goldwing in every way.
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:26 pm

If your bike is an '07 it should be under warranty for quite some time. If so, just ride it and enjoy it. If it breaks...it's covered. You just probably want to know which dealership near you is the best at customer service.

There are some things you will want to address on the bike, but most of them should not be done until your warranty is just about up.

Does it have the Zenon light? If not, you may certainly want to add an HID headlamp kit. Makes all the difference in the world. Brian and myself installed on on his K1200LT the other day and it took only 1 1/2 hrs and we took our time. The difference is amazing!

Enjoy the bike.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
Hi Eric,

Congrats on your new "Light Truck".

Its a great machine you'll love it.

I assume you are still under warranty?? If so, don't worry. The periodic stops at the dealer will take care of it.

I forgot the URL, but, there are some sites on line that will let you know what is recalled.

Keep in mind, that except for some relatively monor changes, this flagship has been around since 99. Your version (07) is almost identical to my 05. Most of the bigs that will be recalled are fixed. I'm fast approaching 60K and nothing serious has occurred. I did, however, replace my slave at 50K preemptively.

You now own it, as others have said now "Ride it Like you stole IT!"

Enjoy--don't forget to read thoroughly the postings on this site. There is more wisdom here than you will ever get on your own.

Joe
Joe, thanks for the warm welcome. I do have the bike under warranty. I bought it loaded. I had a deal that went south on a wing and ran into this bike under a friends advice to try. I am so glad I did. I have never seen so many manuals that you have to read and the bikes performance is amazing.
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
If your bike is an '07 it should be under warranty for quite some time. If so, just ride it and enjoy it. If it breaks...it's covered. You just probably want to know which dealership near you is the best at customer service.

There are some things you will want to address on the bike, but most of them should not be done until your warranty is just about up.

Does it have the Zenon light? If not, you may certainly want to add an HID headlamp kit. Makes all the difference in the world. Brian and myself installed on on his K1200LT the other day and it took only 1 1/2 hrs and we took our time. The difference is amazing!

Enjoy the bike.
Jack, yes I do have the Xenon headlight. It is under warranty. I guess all I need to do is complete reading all the manuals with it and ride away!! Thanks again.
post #8 of 15 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 5:33 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

You will love the bike.
I would not worry about the small stuff, plus it is still under warrantee.
Enjoy your new ride!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #9 of 15 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 7:42 am

Welcome to the asylum, In a short time you will be zooming and will find that this machine LOVES the rpm's, about 4500 the bike comes alive and push it to 7K and she will fly.

Dont forget to post any questions here, you will get great answers. Also you may want to attend Tech sessions in your area, and even travel to a few to meet the guys and learn more about your bike. RTE's are a great way to meet the folks also.

HAPPY MOTORING!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 15 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 8:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMER69
After many bikes and endless searches I am the proud owner of the K1200LT. This is my first BMW and I must say that I am floored. However, this is the most advanced spaceship that I have ever owned. I was wondering if any of you folks can give me some problems you may have encountered with the 07. There doesn't seem to be too much information. Any recalls I should know about? Thanks in advance!!
Eric,
Tonnes of great info at the bottom of this link . . . CLICK HERE

Welcome to the site!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #11 of 15 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 8:38 am

Ohhhhh You're one of those "Manual Reading Types"

I'm more of the Christmas Eve "Honey, where are the directions, I still have extra parts!"

You'll figure out the nuances, the important thing now is to get some miles under your belt.

Congrats again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMER69
Joe, thanks for the warm welcome. I do have the bike under warranty. I bought it loaded. I had a deal that went south on a wing and ran into this bike under a friends advice to try. I am so glad I did. I have never seen so many manuals that you have to read and the bikes performance is amazing.

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #12 of 15 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:22 am Thread Starter

Thanks alot. Safe Riding!!
post #13 of 15 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:25 am Thread Starter

Thanks so much. I am glad I have a resource for good information.
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 2:16 pm
Cat Herder

Ask and ye shall receive

You wanted a scoop, here you have it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scoop.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	16043  
post #15 of 15 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 7:22 pm

Welcome to the world of the BMW K1200LT. It is a great bike and I love my '03.

Maintenance is very expensive if work needs to be done. So, I recommend that you purchase an extended warranty for your bike for when the warranty runs out. You can usually get full coverage for a reasonable price while it is still under manufacturers warranty. That will protect you for as much as 6 years total.

Best investment that I had made in my LT. Paid for itself 4 times over so far with another year left to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in