Rear shock leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Rear shock leak

Just got the LT out of the shop having a valve guide leak repaired and the shop said I have a small leak on the rear shock. They have OEM and other shocks available. Said if I change rear I need to change front also. What shocks would be best to put on the bike? and is it a very difficult job to replace them yourself? or should I just get OEM again? The LT is an 06 and I have about 40,000 miles. The seal and radio (it was not working) were both replaced by extended warranty.

Greg and Melanie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 9:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWANDRR
Just got the LT out of the shop having a valve guide leak repaired and the shop said I have a small leak on the rear shock. They have OEM and other shocks available. Said if I change rear I need to change front also. What shocks would be best to put on the bike? and is it a very difficult job to replace them yourself? or should I just get OEM again? The LT is an 06 and I have about 40,000 miles. The seal and radio (it was not working) were both replaced by extended warranty.
Well, first, don't believe everything a dealer may say!!

I actually had my rear shock fail, the top mount broke while ripping across South Dakota. I was towed all the way to Bak BMW in Iowa. They replaced the OEM with an Ohlins. While it was a huge improvement (I had about 44,000 on the OEM) and the bike certainly handles better, I still have the OEM front on some 20,000 miles later. I am happy with the combo.

Ohlins, Wilbers, Hyper Pro are all excellent upgrades. Many do the swap themselves. I will likely do mine this Spring. There is plenty of good How-To info the in the HOW!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in