DTE Gone Haywire - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

DTE Gone Haywire

After having a rhinewest chip and remus exhaust installed on my bike my Distance To Empty Gauge seems to have gone crazy. When I fill up it shows a DTE of 350 Km. However after 1/2 an hour into the ride it shows a DTE of 200 Km. Then it seem to sit there and actually reverse itself so the DTE starts to rise. Eventually I get about 450 km. out of a tank. Is there any way that the DTE can be reset, or am I just stuck with an inaccurate gauge because of the change to a performance chip? Thanks Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 9:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
After having a rhinewest chip and remus exhaust installed on my bike my Distance To Empty Gauge seems to have gone crazy. When I fill up it shows a DTE of 350 Km. However after 1/2 an hour into the ride it shows a DTE of 200 Km. Then it seem to sit there and actually reverse itself so the DTE starts to rise. Eventually I get about 450 km. out of a tank. Is there any way that the DTE can be reset, or am I just stuck with an inaccurate gauge because of the change to a performance chip? Thanks Ron
Ron, I don't believe the chip had a thing to do with the DTE; in fact, I doubt that the DTE is operating any different now than it did before.

The DTE is purely an estimated "best guess," based on (i) the volume of fuel left in the tank; and (ii) the current mpg observed by the BC. There are two sources of error.

The gas gauge (from which the BC gets is fuel volume reading) does not instantaneously respond (to prevent having the needle hopping up and down as the bike is driven). Refuel and turn on the key, and the DTE will be based on an under-reported fuel level -- thus the potential for an increasing DTE estimate minutes later.

The mpg estimate responds *much* slower than the fuel level; the estimate is based on fuel use vs. miles covered over a large averaging interval.

Taken together, if you fill up after stop-go-traffic, DTE will be low (low mpg, under-reported gallons). Drive at highway speed for 1/3 of a tank, and the mpg will be higher, possibly high enough to result in a higher DTE, even though a couple gallons have been burned (seen that myself). Get back off the highway for a long period, and the average mpg will drop, and thus the DTE will drop much faster than you would have expected from when you were on the highway.

Thus, your variations suggest to me normal operation -- with the greatest variable not being the chip (which has literally no connection to the BC inputs), but the five-element device attached to the throttle grip at the end of the driver's arm

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 10:26 pm
Bouncer

When you go get gas after running through a tankfull, do you hear a sucking sound when you unscrew the gas cap? You might have a pinched line to the caninster and the tank his sucking in on itself and bent the gas guage sending tube.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
When you go get gas after running through a tankfull, do you hear a sucking sound when you unscrew the gas cap? You might have a pinched line to the caninster and the tank his sucking in on itself and bent the gas guage sending tube.
Interesting thought, Jeff -- but if that were the case, wouldn't the DTE become pretty much fixed once he gets down to the 1/4 level, as long as his mpg (i.e., throttle demand/speed) were constant? That doesn't match up well to the reported symptoms.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 12:22 am Thread Starter

DTE Gone Crazy

I don't get a sucking sound when I unscrew the gas cap. So I guess that isn't my problem. I have 70,000 km on the old girl and watched my DTE pretty closely. It never seemed to have the wild swings before. ron
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 2:57 am
Cat Herder

Garage
Sucking Sound

HI Jeff, when I remove my gas cap to refuel I always hear a sucking sound.
I have asked the dealer about it and they just look at me(so whats the problem) I have noticed over the last few months that my DTE and fuel mileage readings have gotten way out of wack. I have been calculating the mileage the old fashion way (fuel added/actual mileage) I am getting about 40 MPG. The computer is a 5 mile per gallon off.... Do I need to have them fix the sucking sound? Others that I ride with don't have this problem..

PLEASE ADVISE!!!!

Thanks
Jeff C.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #7 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 7:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
HI Jeff, when I remove my gas cap to refuel I always hear a sucking sound.
I have asked the dealer about it and they just look at me(so whats the problem) I have noticed over the last few months that my DTE and fuel mileage readings have gotten way out of wack. I have been calculating the mileage the old fashion way (fuel added/actual mileage) I am getting about 40 MPG. The computer is a 5 mile per gallon off.... Do I need to have them fix the sucking sound? Others that I ride with don't have this problem..

PLEASE ADVISE!!!!

Thanks
Jeff C.
See this thread, which has a reference to the canister-ectomy FAQ link:http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...w=&sb=&o=&vc=1

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #8 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:02 am
Bouncer

I got really shitty gas mileage and the DTE was nuts (it would go down 30 MTE in a matter of seconds, and then slowly creep back up). It was acting like the gas tank was sucking in on itself to a point and then releasing. One of my vent hoses had plugged up.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #9 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 11:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I got really shitty gas mileage and the DTE was nuts (it would go down 30 MTE in a matter of seconds, and then slowly creep back up). It was acting like the gas tank was sucking in on itself to a point and then releasing. One of my vent hoses had plugged up.
Aha! Hadn't thought of that -- you're probably spot-on as to the cause. Thanks.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #10 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 12:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Interesting thought, Jeff -- but if that were the case, wouldn't the DTE become pretty much fixed once he gets down to the 1/4 level, as long as his mpg (i.e., throttle demand/speed) were constant? That doesn't match up well to the reported symptoms.

yup it happened to me, I actually ran out of gas in Oregon because of it, two things, I showed almsot 1/4 tank and 114 miles to empty

and ran out of gas, the sender was squished

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #11 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 1:03 pm

Quote:
Sent you a PM with a link to all the directions and adjustment procedure for hte BC

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #12 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 1:39 pm

one more thing to consider...

....i had exactly the same sort of behavior with my 2000, and noticed some fuel gauge inaccuracy to go with it.

the behavior was also noticably worse in wet/humid weather....

i spent some time cleaning/repairing the connector on the fuel level sensor... used some contact cleaner/protectant from radio shack... a needlenose pliers to squeeze the contacts so there was more clamping pressure...a tiny zip tie to keep the connector under tension...

unit has functioned spot on ever since...

if anyone had the bodywork and/or tank off your bike right before this started... deterioration of the sensor connecor is a possible culprit.

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
post #13 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

That is interesting! I just had my 70 km service done and I know they had the tank off. Maybe i should be talking to the dealer about this. Thanks Ron
post #14 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 5:54 pm

Quote:
That is interesting! I just had my 70 km service done and I know they had the tank off. Maybe i should be talking to the dealer about this. Thanks Ron
Have them look at the right front tank bushing/mount -- it's pretty easy/common to trap/crush the vent hose behind the tank mount as the tank slides into place.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in