So is this a known problem? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

So is this a known problem?

While doing some work under the covers, I noticed some scratching on both sides of the fuel tank in the openings where the air from the radiators goes out the side grills. It was obviously coming from the screws that hold the grills on, in fact all 4 screws were polished shinny at the end of the screw. Seems like a bit of a clearance problem here, causing at the least vibration noise, and worse case a possible tank leak. I took the grill screws out, removed the clip nuts from the side panels and moved them to the grills, then put the screws back in the other way. I think this will result in more clearance (see attached pix). Anyone else notice this?

-Scurrie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank damage.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	16007   Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	16008   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	16009  

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
All Roads Lead To Roads...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 8:18 pm
Super Moderator

I've noticed some marks like that on my tank, but not quite as much as what you have. Are you the first owner? I wonder of those might have been removed and reinstalled at some time incorrectly? Regardless, you seem to have resolved the problem, which is a good thing!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I've noticed some marks like that on my tank, but not quite as much as what you have. Are you the first owner? I wonder of those might have been removed and reinstalled at some time incorrectly? Regardless, you seem to have resolved the problem, which is a good thing!
No, I'm the second owner, but I can't imagine the original owner doing that. Maybe they were installed wrong at the factory. Someone go out and look in their grill and tell me if you see the screw heads or the screw ends.

-Scurrie

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
All Roads Lead To Roads...

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 8:41 pm

Greetings Scurrie.

I have had the precise same problem as you have, right down to very similar severe scratching marks on my fuel tank. My service tech guy removed the screws and replaced them with either shorter screws or he changed them around. I forget exactly what he did. I can ask him for you if you like. You aren't alone on this issue. You do not want to hole your fuel tank. Apart from a potential fire risk, the tanks are very expensive to replace.

Cheers to all

Paul Harrington
AU

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #5 of 5 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Wink

Pretty clever on turning the screws around Scott! I also had the scratching on my tank and I am the only owner. My solution, which was posted once on the old list, was to simply flatten the screw tips and make sure that I did not have the longest screws in there. You want the shortest ones that will work.

I believe it was probably just careless assembly from the factory on some Bikes in using too long of a screw for that area.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in