Ipod drains battery, no matter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

Ipod drains battery, no matter

I have tried tow different adaptions for my Ipod to my 05 K12lt and both drain the battery if left over a couple days un-run.

I like the Ipod in place of the disc changer, but I have to unplug every time.

Plus, the Dice adapter thats suppose to interface with the radio...yeah, it don't. It did allow tracks to be switched from the handlbars, that's cool but no display of titles and no ability to search or change lists.

Let's hear what you guys think.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 6:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You could add a small relay in the power feed to the Dice that is tied to the ignition. It would essentially "unplug" the adapter when the key is off. Beats opening the side case every time.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 9:20 am

Don't have the Dice unit, but like the Icelink - there should be a menu option to turn on text to radio function.

Had the same battery problem as you. I just solder spliced to a switched circuit on the bike. I think I used the seat heater circuit. That one is easy to find off the rear seat connector. Also, setting the dice unit to charge when playing rather than for a period of time after shutdown will be required since the unit may become confused trying to charge and then the power is killed after key to off position. See the dice instructions for these menu settings.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 3:19 pm

Text to Display on Radio with IceLink -not for 05LT

I believe that the text display does not work using Icelink on an 05 LT. Others may offer opinions or corroboration. If someone has made it work I would love to know how so I can fix mine. Not that I care to stare at the little screen while driving though to pick out a song title. Already totaled one LT looking too long at the GPS display. Going to forgo the TV and miss Sunday football while driving

Laurence Hendrick

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 4:48 am

I had a melt down of the radio / intercom system. After ten hours of trouble shooting from A&S BMW...They figure out it was the icelink module gone bad. I'll never again have an icelink hooked up to my bike. With the XM and cd...It's not worth the headache. My icelink is permanently on the shelve. For what it's worth....it cost me about $400 for the dealer to troubleshoot he problem. It considerably less than the ten hour rate they could have charged me for two techs over an entire day. My opinion...leave the IPOD at home unless your plugging into the accessory jack on the voice II.

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 1:20 pm

Yes, the Dice unit will drain battery in a few days...found this out the hard way. And yes, 05 and later, no text. It does work in every other way though. I just plug in the tender every time I leave the bike. I use the plug at the left foot of the driver which is always connected. Just park and plug.
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:18 pm

My IceLink made both the Voice II and the center stand mal-function intermintingly. I took mine to the dealer they found that the Icelink interfered with the connection that runs from the CD player and is picked up through the electronics from the kickstand and this goes to the computer causing all to malfunction. I told them hog wash prove it, so he did. Nothing worked and the dash was shsowing short then he unplugged the Icelink and everything was perfect and has been for a year. After paying $460 in diagonistic fees I took the unit back to the guys at Icelink and they gave me a new Dice unit to compensate me, which is still in the box. I now listen to my Ipod either through the Autocom or by itself.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in