New LT rider in Iowa! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

New LT rider in Iowa!

Greeting all,

I purchased a new '08 LT in October of '07 and am now suffering a severe case of PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) I've been reading the forums for the last couple of months now and this seems to be a great forum for information and entertainment. Really looking forward to meeting some of the characters I see posting on here. Any of the readers who are in Iowa or the midwest, give me a shout. I'm looking for people to ride with! Iowa anyone???

Thanks,

Morry
2008 Biarritz Blue Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 4:25 pm

Greetings back to you........... We here in the far south east do not understand what PMS is????????

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #3 of 17 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 5:32 pm

Hay, Morry!
Welcome to the herd! Also have PMS for the first time in years, it seems. Snow on Dec 1! In MN! Who'd'a thunk it?
Nice color! You are gonna love it! Where's Norwalk?

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)

post #4 of 17 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 5:50 pm

Welcome! I am a newbie myself, but nothing but big helpers here! I am near Chicago, but like to ride far far away!
I also suffer PMS, it is chronic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #5 of 17 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 6:06 pm

Thumbs up PMS relief

Welcome to the fun!

Fixed my PMS on 9th and 10th of this month (january). Parts run to Engles in Kansas City and north to the Iowa border(rt 34...gambling joint) to see friends. AaaaaaaaaH, I sure feel much better now.

Lots of good info on this site, for sure! Especially if you do any of your own wrenching. Sure glad I was told about this site when I bought my used '03 LT 35,000 miles ago(may '06).

Tearing mine down for a new fuel filter. Hope to get started on it tomorrow, unless the SO has other plans that I don't know about yet.

Post when and where you want to ride and I'll bet some LT's show up. I found one on St Jo, MO on here last summer. Pretty neat!

As stated above, you're going to love the ride!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #6 of 17 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 8:37 pm

Congratulations on the new LT, Morry.

I lived in Davenport, IA and Rock Island, IL as a kid, for a couple of years back in the 60s. On the way to CCR '07 I rode to Davenport and the Arsenal to visit my old stomping grounds; had a good time visiting old friends in Marshalltown and Hazleton, too.

Iowa is a great state!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 9:39 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the greetings!

Hey, I envy all of you riders in the Southern states right now. Norwalk, IA is just South of Des Moines in the state of Iowa......23 degrees with plenty of snow on the ground......brrrrrrr. I'm sure to be found somewhere within a dozen state radius, as soon as the weather cooperates.

Interesting note...when I bought the new LT, the wife thought I was experiencing a mid life crisis. After her first weekend on the backend of the bike, I can't get her off the thing!!!!! She loves it, almost as much as I do.......who'd have thunk it???? ......lol
post #8 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:00 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Morry first of all welcome. I have PMS here in the suburbs of Chicago. I am newer to the site as well and can not believe it took me so long to joint.
Great help and great people.
Enjoy and again welcome!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #9 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy63
Greeting all,

I Really looking forward to meeting some of the characters I see posting on here.
Thanks,

Morry
2008 Biarritz Blue Metallic
The best place to do that is to make plans now for the CCR 08
It was out first time in 07 and now we plan on every one.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #10 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 1:26 pm

Hi Morry

I bought a new 08 in Nov 07. Only got 200 miles on it before the snow hit the area. Waiting to get on the road with the new bike.
post #11 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy63
Hey, I envy all of you riders in the Southern states right now. Norwalk, IA is just South of Des Moines in the state of Iowa......23 degrees with plenty of snow on the ground......brrrrrrr. I'm sure to be found somewhere within a dozen state radius, as soon as the weather cooperates.

Interesting note...when I bought the new LT, the wife thought I was experiencing a mid life crisis. After her first weekend on the backend of the bike, I can't get her off the thing!!!!! She loves it, almost as much as I do.......who'd have thunk it???? ......lol
Welcome, Morry. I've got PMS too. Only because of the ice in my driveway & on the roads. I think this is the longest I've gone in the last 2 years without riding, it's been more than a month. I'm going nuts. Am considering drilling sheet metal screws into the Metzlers & taking off. ;-D

Seriously, if you've got 23 degrees down there & no ice, it's plenty warm for the LT. Turn on the 'ole but furnace & have at it. Just be really careful about frost on bridges & sand at intersections & corners.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #12 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 1:45 pm

Congrats on the new LT your going to love it. My cuz lives in Iowa has an LT just like mine, next summer we hope to get togather and ride. Although today is a sunny 70 degree day, I have been sick all week but i may make myself take a ride today in your honor.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #13 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 6:56 pm

Welcome

Nice to know we have another midwest "L"oony "T"une rider

Welcome to the club and ride safe. Around here they put so much salt on the roads they are white so my PMS lasts till mid-march or later

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #14 of 17 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:54 pm
KIC

Talking Ice belongs in the freezer..

Ice in the driveway ? Why keep ice in the driveway ? Out here we keep ice in the freezer and ride the LT's out of the driveway. If we put our ice in the driveways, like today while I was riding, it would melt as it was 65 degrees under clear skies.

P.S. Enjoy the LT. The only Light Truck on two wheels.

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #15 of 17 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 11:32 am Thread Starter

OOOOooops, been doing it wrong for years!

KIC,

Thanks for straightening us poor Midwesterners up! Ice belongs in the freezer.....who'd have thunk it?

Thanks for the info

Morry aka "MO"

Des Moines, IA
2008 Biarritz Blue LT
post #16 of 17 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 5:09 pm

Welcome, Morry...

Each June, the Iowa Rally is hosted by the Pure Stodge BMW Club in the Iowa City area. The last couple of years has been at the fairgrounds in Marengo.

It's always been a great rally for the money. Thirty bucks gives you three nights of camping, a couple of suppers, live music and free beer! Can't beat that! Several from our local club try to go every year.

I haven't seen a posting yet for this year's rally. I know Pure Stodge suffered a tragedy when their club president was killed in a mc accident on his way home from the International in West Bend, Wisconsin last summer.

In the rally continues, try to go!

Regards,

Paul Rakestraw
Boulder, CO

09 R1200RT

01 K1200LTI
wrecked at 91k miles

post #17 of 17 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:24 pm
KIC

woodguy63

No problem...just never could figure out why you guys keep it outside when it affects your riding ability.

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in