It really does work!! ABS &... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

Smile It really does work!! ABS &...

After 3 weeks having my LT down (waiting on parts mostly) putting in a new front transmission seal, new pivot bearings, fixing reverse, new fuel filter, K&N air filter, fixing a crankcase gasket leak, checking valve clearances, installing a voltmeter, converting the turnsignals to ON all the time (but flash when turned on), new battery and installing a wire to terminal 21 on the ABS connector.
Everthing works!
Including the ABS. Grounding terminal 21 does the trick, rolled 5 feet and all ABS lights go off. Thank you BMWLT! YOU saved me hundreds and hundreds of dollars. No one should have to go the dealer to reset the ABS anymore. I'm sure now my ABS lights were flashing due to a dead battery by the previous owner's neglect.
65 projects now getting everything fixed. Now what I'm I going to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 4:24 pm

Coooooooool..........................

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #3 of 13 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 5:35 pm

'65 projects now getting everything fixed. Now what I'm I going to do?'

You're in Texas! RIDE!!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)

post #4 of 13 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 5:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjn
'65 projects now getting everything fixed. Now what I'm I going to do?'

You're in Texas! RIDE!!
Hey! I was gonna say that. I may, note: I said may, have to wash my bike sometime. Man, is it ever filthy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 7:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Hey! I was gonna say that. I may, note: I said may, have to wash my bike sometime. Man, is it ever filthy.
That brings up a good point! I've had my LT for 3 months now and I've managed to keep it pretty clean just riding on sunny days and wiping it down with Plexus. Early this week we had a warm front move through which melted all the snow and I just had to get some time on the bike. I think you know what I mean, but now its covered with road spray and salt and I don't want to just wipe it down. It gets up to around 35-40 degrees most January days here in Indy and I was thinking of hitting the self serve car wash...what do you guys think? Share some of your hard earned experience with us "newbies" and tell us what you think is the best method for washing an LT – the right way!

>Kevin

2006 BMW K1200LT Magnesium Black Graphite
post #6 of 13 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio4design
...Share some of your hard earned experience with us "newbies" and tell us what you think is the best method for washing an LT – the right way!
I usually wash mine by riding through the rain...
post #7 of 13 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH
I usually wash mine by riding through the rain...
Ha! (that thought did cross my mind)

>Kevin

post #8 of 13 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:45 pm

You can't go wrong with P-21S Total Car Wash. A German car care product. Concentrated. Neutral PH. I use it to clean the brakes/wheels as well. Pricey at $20 per 1000ML. Porsche Club recommended for many years for alloy wheels.

$.25 self spray car wash, unless you stand way back, to much force.

Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #9 of 13 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:58 pm

Maybe amsoil makes something. They seem to cover everything else.

Sorry Tim, I could not resist!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #10 of 13 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 5:29 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Charles great job on the fix.
I hope she enjoys the 2 up riding!
Get out and enjoy the Texas weather.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #11 of 13 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 7:19 am

I dont remember where I read about it, but warning against using high pressure wash, causing to wash wheel bearings grease out of sealed bearings. No telling what else would be affected.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #12 of 13 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
I dont remember where I read about it, but warning against using high pressure wash, causing to wash wheel bearings grease out of sealed bearings. No telling what else would be affected.
Thanks, I did a Google search on wheel bearings and high pressure washing and found many references that warned against doing that, most seem to think that water and soap at those pressures cause grease to "dry out" or to be less effective. Here's a copy of one of the better articles I found, thanks again for steering me away from that one!

"Keeping Used Motorcycle Parts As Good As New by: Granny's Mettle

Even with regular maintenance and upkeep, our motorcycles tend to get used and subjected to different elements in the environment. To keep used motorcycle parts as good as the day when we first bought them, regular washing and rinsing will do the trick.

But you should take note how you do your washing. You might scratch parts of your motorcycle.

Top Rule: Avoid scratches.

Scratches are the biggest enemy of any bike's finish. The secret of keeping your used motorcycle parts as good as new is to avoid scratches in your motorcycle. Dirt and grime when rubbed in while washing or drying, act as sandpaper and will definitely dull the brilliance of your bike's paint.

To avoid scratching your bike, first, you need to remember that anything that comes in contact with your motorcycle's finish should be made of soft material. Take care that no harsh or rough surfaces will be able to connect with any part of your motorcycle. Zippers are the worst offenders.

Use only clean, freshly washed cotton cloths or towels to dry your bike after washing. When you need to put on any application to make your bike shine, again use the clean cotton cloths and towels. Rinse thoroughly the sponges or wash mitts, as well as the bucket, before and after washing your bike to remove any dirt or grime.

One of the best advice I got from a used motorcycle parts site was to separate my bike's areas into normal and rough areas when washing. I usually consider the painted surfaces as normal areas, while the tires, engine, and inner fenders are the rough areas. I use different wash mitts and sponges for each area to keep dirt and grime away from the sensitive areas. This way, scratching would be avoided.

Use also a gentle stream of water when rinsing, rather than high water pressure that comes from the hose. The high pressure of water will cause dirt to grind further into the paint, causing scratches along with other worse problems. And remember to use generous amounts of water when rinsing. Dirt that causes scratch will easily float away with enough water used.

When washing your bike…

Use lots of water, but without the high pressure. Totally avoid using pressure washers. Instead let the water flow freely by detaching the nozzle from the hose.

Along with the generous amount of water, use detergents designed specifically for motorcycle washing. Ordinary detergent tends to remove the wax that we want to try to keep. Simply mix the detergent according to the directions and go for it. Just make sure you rinse each section soon after applying the detergent so that no soap film will develop. It is difficult to get rid of the soap film when it dries up.

After washing, rinse, rinse, and rinse some more. Rinse everywhere. Every nook and cranny should be rinsed of soap.

Lastly, wash your motorcycle without bright sunlight. Soap suds can easily dry from the heat. Ideal time of the day would be in the late afternoon or early morning when the sun is not so strong."

>Kevin

post #13 of 13 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:18 am

Don't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio4design
That brings up a good point! I've had my LT for 3 months now and I've managed to keep it pretty clean just riding on sunny days and wiping it down with Plexus. Early this week we had a warm front move through which melted all the snow and I just had to get some time on the bike. I think you know what I mean, but now its covered with road spray and salt and I don't want to just wipe it down. It gets up to around 35-40 degrees most January days here in Indy and I was thinking of hitting the self serve car wash...what do you guys think? Share some of your hard earned experience with us "newbies" and tell us what you think is the best method for washing an LT – the right way!
Don't Do it. I just washed mine yesterday. Took a bucket filled it with hot soapy water washed her. I then emptied the bucket and filled with fresh clean water, rinsed the bike that. Took three or four buckets but I never had to get the hose out. I then toweled her off.

I have heard that the high pressure spray can/will reek havoc on the bikes.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in