EZ Pass Tolls - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 9:17 am Thread Starter

EZ Pass Tolls

Hey guys... where is everyone who uses them putting their EZ Pass toll tags on the K1200LT? I would love to avoid sticking it to my windscreen but would also like it in a place where I can be sure it will be read....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 9:20 am

It may depend on the type you have. I keep mine in my jacket pocket or in the glove box. You might try going through one with an automatic gate arm to see where it will read it.
post #3 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 9:30 am
Gold Supporter

We have a hard plastic box here and I have mine mounted under the nose cone just above the headlight.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 9:42 am

I Velcro'd mine under the glovebox lid and lift the lid when I pass under the reader.
post #5 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:20 am

I have one of the older styles. I do not use it that often, but when I do I use velcro to attach it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ-Pass.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	16005  

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #6 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoseph
Hey guys... where is everyone who uses them putting their EZ Pass toll tags on the K1200LT? I would love to avoid sticking it to my windscreen but would also like it in a place where I can be sure it will be read....
Had mine attached on the left winglet/air deflector on the LT. Ride in the right lane of toll lane puts the pass in the middle, so it is read easily. I tried the top case, but it didn't always read the tag and the fairing is NOT an option. Problem here in NY with fairing or top case attachment is, tolls with those up and down arms. Should your TAG not be read, they need to see the TAG for the number. I know TBTA and PANY/NJ have hand readers, but they usually need to SEE the tag.

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
post #7 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 11:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Who needs a stinkin' EZ-Pass?

I was once at an IL toll booth and pulled my I-Pass device out of my tank bag. The operator saw that and a couple days later I received a mailed warning to affix the device as described on their website. I thoroughly perused their website for instructions to affix it to a motorcycle. No instructions existed that I could find so I called customer service. A long story shortened: The operator talked to supervisor and they recommended that I not carry a device and let the camera read my license plate and look up my account (as long as it's registered as a vehicle using a device) and do a debit.
That's what I have done and have yet to receive any other warning. I also haven't been very diligent about checking their website to see if I've been charged for the tolls I've gone through without a device. Having struggled with a teenage driver in the house, I know that IL is very prompt with sending bills to plate owners that aren't registered.
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #8 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:12 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
I was once at an IL toll booth and pulled my I-Pass device out of my tank bag. The operator saw that and a couple days later I received a mailed warning to affix the device as described on their website. I thoroughly perused their website for instructions to affix it to a motorcycle. No instructions existed that I could find so I called customer service. A long story shortened: The operator talked to supervisor and they recommended that I not carry a device and let the camera read my license plate and look up my account (as long as it's registered as a vehicle using a device) and do a debit.
That's what I have done and have yet to receive any other warning. I also haven't been very diligent about checking their website to see if I've been charged for the tolls I've gone through without a device. Having struggled with a teenage driver in the house, I know that IL is very prompt with sending bills to plate owners that aren't registered.
Jer
Jer I too do not carry my I pass and just let them register the v-toll. We have one I-pass with three cars and one motorcycle

I do check the web site on a regular basis and it takes them about two months to record the tolls.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #9 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:20 pm

Inside the tank bag works fine.

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN
post #10 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
The operator talked to supervisor and they recommended that I not carry a device and let the camera read my license plate and look up my account (as long as it's registered as a vehicle using a device) and do a debit.
That is great for I-Pass, but I have experienced the complete opposite with ez-Pass. They will send out a violation ticket even if the vehicle is registered. At least that is happened to me a few years ago, hopefully they have changed their operations. Out of three toll booths while travelling to NJ, one did not pick up the transponder. They sent me a $20 dollar ticket. After I fought it, they dismissed the ticket but I still had to pay a administrative fee. Some system!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #11 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:49 pm
Super Moderator

When I use one I just stick it in a jacket pocket.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #12 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 1:01 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Mike sorry to hear that, Illinois is not known for being very efficient:-)

I am sure they will catch up to other sates and start charging

There is also a fair amount of talk that they may start to use the technology to give speeding tickets. That is to say that the toll plazas are fixed distance apart and if you make it from one to the next faster then the posted speed limit, they will send you a ticket.

Big Brother!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #13 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 1:08 pm

Tank bag or pocket

I use mine in the plastic map pocket of my tank bag, or on my Harley, I stick it in my jacket pocket. It works either place. I even left it in the trunk of the LT and it worked!

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #14 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

EZ-Pass in the Northeast is terrible. If you go through and your pass doesn't get read (which has happened to me a number of times) you get a ticket for around $75 bucks. To avoid paying the fine, you have to fill out the back of the ticket and mail it in with a printout of your ez pass statement showing that the vehicle was actively on the account and that you had sufficient funds in the account to pay the toll.

It takes about 30 days to clear the ticket and then they deduct the toll amount from your account.

PITA!
post #15 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 1:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthead
No necessarily. What I wrote in the above thread is due to the I-Pass not working from the tank bag. I pulled it out, raised it skyward, waggled it around in the air a while and then the gate went up. I'll have to be real careful going through states that don't have a lookup system.
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #16 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 2:01 pm

If you wheelie thru the toll pass lane the camera can't get a shot of your license plate and thusly it's free.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 6:09 pm

Quote:
EZ-Pass in the Northeast is terrible. If you go through and your pass doesn't get read (which has happened to me a number of times) you get a ticket for around $75 bucks. To avoid paying the fine, you have to fill out the back of the ticket and mail it in with a printout of your ez pass statement showing that the vehicle was actively on the account and that you had sufficient funds in the account to pay the toll.

It takes about 30 days to clear the ticket and then they deduct the toll amount from your account.

PITA!
Make sure you plate is registerd to your motorcycle easy pass or ez pass account. As stated in another post, the system reads all plates (well, 99.9%) and will auto debit your account if the license plate is on file. No mess, no fuss, no fine.

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
post #18 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

Not in PA or NJ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk12lt
Make sure you plate is registerd to your motorcycle easy pass or ez pass account. As stated in another post, the system reads all plates (well, 99.9%) and will auto debit your account if the license plate is on file. No mess, no fuss, no fine.
Plate on file, picture of bike & plate... $70 fine untill all of the above info is mailed in. After that.... auto debit of the toll.

For some reason they will not just auto debit the account. They always send me the violation notice with fine and I have to dispute it.
post #19 of 42 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 7:16 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthead
Ditto! Works in NY all the way to North Carolina for me.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #20 of 42 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 5:42 am

I have a small rack on dash and velcro it there, it's an ez pass and works fine.
post #21 of 42 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 8:41 am

up and down the east coast and west to WI with the ez pass in my tank bag without any problems

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #22 of 42 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:17 am

I have my Express Toll unit in my top case held on by velcro and it seems to work just fine.
post #23 of 42 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:29 am

I got a new EZ tag this week and keep it in the glove box and put it in the plastic tank bag when on the toll road.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #24 of 42 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:26 am

EZpass Pouch

I just made a pouch for the EZ Pass and velcro it to the left wind deflector next to the windshield. Two strips of velcro - one to hold the detector into the pouch and the other longer one to hold the pouch to the wind deflector. Goes on and off easily and I take it off when not in use. Works just fine.

See thumbnails below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW EZpass Pouch 1.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	16014   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ 2.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	16015   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ 3.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	16016   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ 4.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	16017   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ 5.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	16018  

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #25 of 42 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:30 am

Attachments incomplete

Thumbnails incomplete, duplicated one picture. Here is the final one - shows pouch in place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW EZpass pouch 1.JPG
Views:	844
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	16019  

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #26 of 42 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 6:27 pm

Have mine velcroed into the lid of the top case in the cavity behind the fold down vanity mirror. Its out of sight, doesn't take up any room and works fine. Have used it through Chicago area, Indiana and New York State without any problems.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #27 of 42 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 8:43 am

Garage
I am from Florida and use SunPass. I started out attaching it to the left air deflector and struggled with it until I positioned it so it was not sideways but with the top edge up. Worked great. I always removed it when at work and placed it in the top case.

One day day I forgot to take it out of the top case and found that it worked in there so I attached it to the flat wall in the top case just behing the pillion backrest (top edge up) and it works perfectly for me.

< - - - Norm Ruest - - - >

South Florida

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red
MOA# 145086

“Its unexplained, because they haven’t explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.” - Ruest
post #28 of 42 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 3:25 pm

I used gorilla tape with a velcro surface on the grey plastic area near the bottom of the LT windshield. Then I put gorilla tape on the EZpass unit on my truck's license plate. I rely upon the velcro to hold the unit in place on the bike and license plate screws when it is on my truck.

Alfaaudit
post #29 of 42 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Well I read through this entire thread and no one came up with the most
obvious answer!

Velcro it to the top of your helmet.....

James Brown
Seabrook, Texas

2016 K1600 GTL
1979 Suzuki GS550E (sold)

post #30 of 42 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
We have a hard plastic box here and I have mine mounted under the nose cone just above the headlight.
I have mine in the same place with some VHB tape and a couple of zipties just in case!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #31 of 42 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 9:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
I have mine in the same place with some VHB tape and a couple of zipties just in case!
What color zip ties?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #32 of 42 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 7:43 am

In the top of the tank bag toward the front has always worked for my Sunpass, and as I´m too cheap to buy more than one, I move it back and forth between vehicles. At the top of the bag, it is easy to remember to take out when I get home.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #33 of 42 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 11:52 am

Quote:
I mounted my iPass on the sunshade of my Garmin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iPass1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	16162  

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

Last edited by jhsonderb; Jan 20th, 2008 at 12:03 pm. Reason: Trying to add photo
post #34 of 42 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:15 pm

If you allow EZPass to direct debit your account based on their photos of license plate, can you be sure that they will match up your entrance photo with your exit photo if it ia for a multi-entrance toll road? Otherwise, it seems to me that they might charge you for the entire length of the road and that could range from about a buck up to ten or fifteen on a roads like the PA and NJ turnpikes. I know that if you lose your ticket, they charge the max.
post #35 of 42 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 9:43 pm

Hi Jim - Thanks for pic of your iPass mounted on the sunshade. Did the sunshade come with the Garmin? If not, where did you purchase it?

Thanks!

John

John Roadhouse
'08 K 1200 LT
'07 R 1200 GS
post #36 of 42 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroadhouse
Hi Jim - Thanks for pic of your iPass mounted on the sunshade. Did the sunshade come with the Garmin? If not, where did you purchase it?

Thanks!

John
Hi John...following is a link for the sunshade that I have on my Garmin. It is an aftermarket purchase.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...o?sku=065-0405

It does not come with the mounting plate for the iPass. I made that myself out of an old license plate frame acrylic plastic shield. I cut the shield to the shape I wanted and used a heat gun to form a curved edge that slips onto the sunshade. The iPass is velcroed to the homemade plate so I can use it in my other vehicle(s).

I hope you are doing well.
Jim

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #37 of 42 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:48 am

Thanks, Jim. You're very creative! And I'm recovering well, thanks . . .

John

John Roadhouse
'08 K 1200 LT
'07 R 1200 GS
post #38 of 42 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 3:47 pm

NY Is half price with E Z pass

To promote safety, N Y Thruway only charges half of the regular price for motorcycles if you have pass. Cars went up 10 per cent this year for cash. So I have to have a different pass for 2 or 4 wheeler. No charge for passes here. Mine is mounted on the side deflector with the velcro strips that come with the pass. It must be water proof. Better than the radio on my 05. So, get your pass from N Y to save one half. Full price in all other states. They just want a $25.00 deposit toward tolls. Replenished at $10.00 from your charge account.
post #39 of 42 Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 5:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Schuyler
To promote safety, N Y Thruway only charges half of the regular price for motorcycles if you have pass. Cars went up 10 per cent this year for cash. So I have to have a different pass for 2 or 4 wheeler. No charge for passes here. Mine is mounted on the side deflector with the velcro strips that come with the pass. It must be water proof. Better than the radio on my 05. So, get your pass from N Y to save one half. Full price in all other states. They just want a $25.00 deposit toward tolls. Replenished at $10.00 from your charge account.

+1 on the NY EZ-Pass!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #40 of 42 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: EZ Pass Tolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRuest
I am from Florida and use SunPass. I started out attaching it to the left air deflector and struggled with it until I positioned it so it was not sideways but with the top edge up. Worked great. I always removed it when at work and placed it in the top case.

One day day I forgot to take it out of the top case and found that it worked in there so I attached it to the flat wall in the top case just behing the pillion backrest (top edge up) and it works perfectly for me.
No way!

I also have an LT ('99, but Canyon Red, same as you--it's a wonder I haven't seen you around town!).

I got a new SunPass Mini, went to sunpass.com loaded it up with tolls, and affixed it to the lowest part of the inside of my windshield.

Then, after calling SunPass operations to ask them how I was supposed to be exempt on 95 Express, they told my "Oh--you cant use the Mini on your motorcycle! It needs to be on a glass windshield."

Thanks for telling me.

NOWHERE does any of the SunPass literature tell you that the Mini is incompatible with motorcycles. Not the docs, not the package, not the store, not even the website (at the time) said so. Oh--it does now, now that I demanded that they replace my windshield--ain't no way I'm getting that Mini and its monster adhesive off without taking my windshield's UV and scratch coating off with it.

Anyway. thanks to me demanding a $400+ windscreen (a request that is currently with their legal department), the gig is up; now the sunpass.com site is practically rotten with warnings bout how the Mini is incompatible with motorcycles.

You're welcome. :-)

Meanwhile, just knowing SunPass transponders are usable in the topcase is a big, big deal. I'm sick of riding one-handed through those narrow toll plazas!

Gregory Pius
Portland, Oregon
'99 Canyon Red K1200LT Lorelei

Last edited by piusg; Jul 30th, 2008 at 5:34 pm.
post #41 of 42 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 10:33 pm

place in the tank bag, works fine for both bikes.

2001 R1100RT Opal Blue
2007 K1200LT Biarritz Blue
BMWMOA # 93149
Every happy ending needs to have a start
post #42 of 42 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 1:17 am

Garage

My Fastrack (CA tollroads) has worked fine in my tankbag, my jacket pocket, and even a saddlebag. The only time it wasn't read, oddly enough, was one time in the tankbag which would seem like the easiest place to get a read. But no big deal, the system recognizes my registered license plate # if it misreads the transponder. I wouldn't even have to carry the transponder but they tell you you're supposed to in case you get pulled over.

Alan
Garden Grove, CA

'07 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (97k miles)
'08 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (76k miles and climbing)

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well - that comes from poor judgment." -A.A. Milne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in