Steel Brake Lines - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 9:40 am Thread Starter

Steel Brake Lines

I've got my LT down for some major service work this winter and I'm replacing shocks, putting a new Rhine West chip in as I've already gone to a Remus exhaust, and adjusting valves among other things. Since I'm up to about 56K on my 02, I thought it would be a good idea to replace my brake hoses with braided steel ones. Has anybody done this and which manufacturer did they go with? How would one accomplish this with the integrated brake system? I've changed the fluid on the bike using the procedure I found, I believe on this site, but changing the lines would introduce a bunch of air into the system, and I'm not sure if I would be able to purge it on my own.

Last edited by tonyn1; Jan 10th, 2008 at 10:08 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:44 am

Read This post by Grifscoots as a primer. But, I do not know of anyone with an '02 or later that has done the job themselves.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 4:25 pm

you want spieglers...

their installations and rotating fittings are superior to anyone else's offering....

and yes - they are lifetime compared to 4-5 years on the OEM.

fitting the rears may be troublesome, however. when i burst a line this spring and had to do the fronts, looking at the shop manual casued me to leave the OEM line in place - the manual shows the rear subframe needing to come off to replace the rear line.

someone may pipe up and say that's not necessary, in fact, i'd love for that to happen. ;-) then i'd take my spiegler rear line out of the saddle bag and put it on. ;-)

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 5:24 pm

ss brake lines by Spiegler

I replaced my rubber hoses last summer after my front brake hose ruptured. My bike has 52K miles and is a 2001. I didn't have a problem replacing front or rear. It was a bit more difficult to align the rear where it bolts in at the pedal.

Joe and Robin
2001 K1200LTC 60K miles
space coast of Florida
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 9:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavamanz
I replaced my rubber hoses last summer after my front brake hose ruptured. My bike has 52K miles and is a 2001. I didn't have a problem replacing front or rear. It was a bit more difficult to align the rear where it bolts in at the pedal.
Joe,
Does the brake level/pedal feel more stiff after going to the SS lines?

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #6 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:18 pm

pedal feel

I didn't notice much change on the rear although I think I'm pretty worn on my pads. On the front the brakes had gotten quite spongy and I had noticed that I would often grab the brake lever several times to get good feel. It was the spongy feel thay caused me to bleed the front brakes in the garage and the line ruptured.

here's a link to the location of the rupture
http://www.bmwlt.com/gallery/browsei...s&searchid=510

I would say I don't find myself grabbing the lever multiple times anymore but from what I've read the ABS unit is probably causing some of the sponginess everyone feels.

Joe and Robin
2001 K1200LTC 60K miles
space coast of Florida
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:23 pm

I felt a huge difference. When the rubber lines get old they start acting like a balloon and bulging. So, instead of all the force of the fluid going to your brake pots, some of it is used to bulge the lines.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 11:20 am

firmness...

...was much improved.

i'm somewhat puzzed that these pictures show the exact same failure on the front lines that i experienced and under the exact same circumstances.

bleeding brakes, and having the front rupture just above the T.

wonder why there's a weak point there and why do they fail? or if use of vaccum bleeders colapses the line at that point and causes it to fail?

hmmmf.

so the concencus seems to be that the rear line - i have a 2000 - can be replaced without pulling the rear subframe as the manual shows? my reaction to that was the same as the maintenence manual for the abrams tank that shows the turret off and engine pulled to change a spark plug. ;-)

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
post #9 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmm90s
...my reaction to that was the same as the maintenence manual for the abrams tank that shows the turret off and engine pulled to change a spark plug. ;-)
Especially if it's a diesel.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

You people that replaced your lines, did anybody have the integrated brakes? That is my main concern, as I think I would have trouble bleeding air out without some dealer specialty equipment.
post #11 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 6:15 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Not really, look here for more info:

Markís Brake Article

Now that describes the flushing. The bleed would be a bit more difficult but use many of the same techniques. I would highly recommend getting the dealer to perform the "Bleed Test" with the computer to verify you have it back up to specfication. It actually exercises the system and checks pressure ramp up time and will show if there is any residual air in the system.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 15 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Not really, look here for more info:

Markís Brake Article

Now that describes the flushing. The bleed would be a bit more difficult but use many of the same techniques. I would highly recommend getting the dealer to perform the "Bleed Test" with the computer to verify you have it back up to specfication. It actually exercises the system and checks pressure ramp up time and will show if there is any residual air in the system.
Hi John, I always enjoy your tech perspective!

I have (with much help from Mike S.) flushed my '02 brakes.

I am also thinking of going to steel brakes lines on my '02. You mention the "Bleed would be more difficult..."

If we are only replacing the wheel lines, and NOT invading the control circuit lines, shouldn't we be able to put on the new metal lines, fill the reservoirs(s), and pump the wheel circuits clear just like we do during a power/lever flush?

If not, what am I missing?

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver

post #13 of 15 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Hi John, I always enjoy your tech perspective!

I have (with much help from Mike S.) flushed my '02 brakes.

I am also thinking of going to steel brakes lines on my '02. You mention the "Bleed would be more difficult..."

If we are only replacing the wheel lines, and NOT invading the control circuit lines, shouldn't we be able to put on the new metal lines, fill the reservoirs(s), and pump the wheel circuits clear just like we do during a power/lever flush?

If not, what am I missing?
That's a good point. At least for the front it might work, but the rear does not have a separate reservoir for the control circuit, so air would be introduced into that unless one would pinch off the line coming from the reservoir and then would have to watch carefully when refilling it.
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 7:03 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You are correct Averill,

Grassroots BMW did that for a member and we shared the approach here. You just feed back the fluid to the reservoir until all the bubbles are gone. I would recommend trashing the first 1/2 pint or so that comes out as it is old and could be contaminated, but once fresh is flowing this would make it a snap. The control circuits would just be a bit more troublesome during a bleed vs. flush depending on how much air is introduced.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #15 of 15 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 7:48 pm

John, thanks for your reply! It looks like I will have to add this to my 'Spring' tune-up list.

Hope all is well with you, take care.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in