Jacks above the cassette player - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 9:29 am Thread Starter

Jacks above the cassette player

Can anyone please tell me (or have info or manual pages) on what the four plug jacks above the cassette player are for and what they do? The dealer said they are for the comm system but I see jacks for that near the computer readout (for rider) and one in the back left (for passenger).

I was wondering if it was inputs to the radio system and perhaps I could jack the output of my Garmin 550 GPS into it and hear it through the main speakers (instead of through the BlueTooth of my helmet).

Thanks!

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW MOA #139052
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsd-tourteam
Can anyone please tell me (or have info or manual pages) on what the four plug jacks above the cassette player are for and what they do? The dealer said they are for the comm system but I see jacks for that near the computer readout (for rider) and one in the back left (for passenger).

I was wondering if it was inputs to the radio system and perhaps I could jack the output of my Garmin 550 GPS into it and hear it through the main speakers (instead of through the BlueTooth of my helmet).

Thanks!

Jon
My 1999 didn't have the comm system factory installed, but I far memory helping, those are AUX input, (no volume control), FRS input/output, CB input/output and cell phone Input/output.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #3 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

photo of comm (?) ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
My 1999 didn't have the comm system factory installed, but I far memory helping, those are AUX input, (no volume control), FRS input/output, CB input/output and cell phone Input/output.
I uploaded a (crummy camera phone) photo of what I'm talking about. Anybody tell me what each of these are/do??

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comm ports.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	15981  

BMW MOA #139052

post #4 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 9:20 pm

http://www.who-sells-it.com/ctp/458/97/full/

This is a better picture and you can see some of the labels for the controls. Do a search for BMW K1200 LT Voice Communications on google. I did an found an owners manual in PDF format that had all the instructions. Funny thing is I can't find an owners manual with instructions for the Voice kit for an 05 which is listed in the same catalog as the link above. Sheesh, what is with all the secrecy about these things. I cant get anyone, even my dealer, to get mine to work with an auxiliary input.

Good luck with it.

MRWAD
Y2K 1500 Vulcan Classic "HOG Harasser"
05 SV1000S "Buell Beater"
05 K1200LT "Goldbling"
My Toy Box is Full!
post #5 of 22 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:06 pm
KIC

Red face Hope this makes sense..

They are part of your intercom system and for cell phone and two-way radio integration. So....Here we go.....

The black knob in the middle that turns is the volume knob. This affects the volume of the intercom headsets

The silver up -n- down switch turns the automatic/manual volume reduction on and off. Up is on, down is off. This deals with background noise, radio etc and the intercom.

The set of plugs on the right side is the connection for a (LPD) radio ( 2-way radio)

The set of plugs on the left side is the connection for a mobile phone.

If you are going to use your intercom, a 2-way or mobile phone unit on your bike. let me know and I will copy/PDF the pages of my manual and send them to you.

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #6 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 7:04 am Thread Starter

Ahhh... I see... question

Thanks guys!

I do not have any of the LT communications headsets, etc.

What I was wondering (among other things) is if I can take the turn voice commands and the MP3 output of my Garmin zumo 550 and pipe them into the system (here???) and hear it in the loud speakers...

Jon

BMW MOA #139052
post #7 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 9:31 am
KIC

Well unless somebody else responds with a definite today, I will know because I am stopping by the Radio Smuck store today to buy a cable to try just that.

Got a MP3 player downloaded with a bunch of songs and plan to try feeding it through one of them there plug holes to see what works.

Ride on !

She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
post #8 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 9:52 am

Cool Voice Kit pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwad
http://www.who-sells-it.com/ctp/458/97/full/

This is a better picture and you can see some of the labels for the controls. Do a search for BMW K1200 LT Voice Communications on google. I did an found an owners manual in PDF format that had all the instructions. Funny thing is I can't find an owners manual with instructions for the Voice kit for an 05 which is listed in the same catalog as the link above. Sheesh, what is with all the secrecy about these things. I cant get anyone, even my dealer, to get mine to work with an auxiliary input.

Good luck with it.
I am having trouble uploading the pdf file for the 05 Voice right now, but if you want to PM me I'm pretty sure I can get it to you via e-mail.

In ref to the MP-3 actually plugging into the Aux ports and working, I don't believe that will work, but good luck!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #9 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:09 am Thread Starter

testing 1 2 3...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC
Well unless somebody else responds with a definite today, I will know because I am stopping by the Radio Smuck store today to buy a cable to try just that.

Got a MP3 player downloaded with a bunch of songs and plan to try feeding it through one of them there plug holes to see what works.

Ride on !
Inquiring minds want to know how you fair!

BMW MOA #139052
post #10 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 7:44 pm
KIC

Angry Hmmmfff

Didn't work. $3.42 down the drain for the patch cord.

OK guys...yea.. you out there in LT land....

What is the easiest (read cheapest) way to plug in a common everyday MP3 player into the LT so I can ride with the tunes?

She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

post #11 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

Dang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC
What is the easiest (read cheapest) way to plug in a common everyday MP3 player into the LT so I can ride with the tunes?
I wanna know too! There must be a low-expense way... got too...

BMW MOA #139052
post #12 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 8:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC

Question for you - Did you get a stereo jack or a mono jack? Cause even though they may fit the same hole the actual contact patch depth is different. Assuming that you had the mp3 player playing while you tried (and the bike radio on) - did you hear any popping noises? If so, then try inserting the plug slower and only to the depth of the pop.

I had to do the same thing on my Garmin 2720 audio plug to get it into my Autocom...
post #13 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 8:47 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC

For the lucky ones like you and I who have the cassette deck in the oddments box it's simple: Use a cassette adapter! Been using one for my Ipod for about 5 years now with no probs! And you will be able to control the volume with the handlebar control.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #14 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Really that simple????

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
For the lucky ones like you and I who have the cassette deck in the oddments box it's simple: Use a cassette adapter! Been using one for my Ipod for about 5 years now with no probs! And you will be able to control the volume with the handlebar control.

John
Hmmm... that sounds simple! Where do you find these and rough cost? Wonder if I can hook up my zumo 550 output to that device....

BMW MOA #139052
post #15 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:10 pm

I bought a cassette adapter with a 1/8" line out jack for $21 at Radio Shack last April. Feed my Garmin 2730 comands/XM stereo into the radio. Use the thumb controls for volume of GPS inputs into the head sets via Baehr on my 2000LT.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #16 of 22 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 11:28 pm
KIC

I bought a stereo audio cable. Is there a special setting I should set the unit to? I do have a cassette player under the radio/cell phone unit.

I can get a Jenson cassette adapter for $12.00 so I might just go that way.

She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

post #17 of 22 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:17 pm

On the radio "unit", the lower left button is CC/CD. Each push will toggle it from cassette to CD player. Note, when I first started using this method, I would leave the radio on with the cassette running when I just turned off the GPS. No noise from the speakers and did not turn the key to lock. Why spin the cassette unit just to add wear and tear.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #18 of 22 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 7:42 am

Anything you plug into the ports in the BMW intercom control head will only play through the BMW intercom into headsets. I'm not sure of the output levels of the Garmin Zumo, but if they are loud enough then they should be heard using a cassette adapter through the bike's external speakers.

Go visit your local Radio Shack and tell them they you are looking for a audio cassette adapter. They will know what you are asking for.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #19 of 22 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Anything you plug into the ports in the BMW intercom control head will only play through the BMW intercom into headsets. I'm not sure of the output levels of the Garmin Zumo, but if they are loud enough then they should be heard using a cassette adapter through the bike's external speakers.

Go visit your local Radio Shack and tell them they you are looking for a audio cassette adapter. They will know what you are asking for.
Seems to make sense... I am not sure about output level from the zumo but the manual says it has an "audio out" jack - worth a try with a cassette adapter (unless someone out there already knows...?).

BMW MOA #139052
post #20 of 22 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Cool

I know that the MP-3 players will work just fine through the casette adapter. Not sure if GPS will, but sure interested in hearing how it goes.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #21 of 22 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 9:30 am

I use a little FM transmitter that has a 3.5/2.5mm two-way plug on it. The ipod plugs into the 3.5mm plug, and the Tom Tom GPS bluetooth plugs into the 2.5mm plug. Dial up a frequency, tune in the radio and hey presto! music on the go and voice directions from the GPS too. Then just sit it all in the oddments compartment and away you go. Cost about $20 - $30.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #22 of 22 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
I use a little FM transmitter that has a 3.5/2.5mm two-way plug on it. The ipod plugs into the 3.5mm plug, and the Tom Tom GPS bluetooth plugs into the 2.5mm plug. Dial up a frequency, tune in the radio and hey presto! music on the go and voice directions from the GPS too. Then just sit it all in the oddments compartment and away you go. Cost about $20 - $30.
Wow! Perfect! Where do you find these? Radio Smack too???

BMW MOA #139052

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in