Switch setup for extras - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:12 pm Thread Starter

Question Switch setup for extras

I'm to the point to where I need to add some switches for some of the extras that are already installed or about to be installed. What are some of the methods others on here have used to take care of this. Where did you put the switches, what switch did you use, etc. I do intend to add the aux fuse block as it is already a mess under there.

tia, tcars
John

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 4:52 am

I know Ari the mad farkle Fin did a wonderful job of adding 6 custom switches to his RH grip area, but I have yet to see a cluster of switches on the market. I wiah there was such a thing. I have 2 switches hidden in the oddments box on the stingray - not a satisfactory solution at all.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #3 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 8:38 am

switches

When i purchased the NightCutters from www.saeng.com I also ordered the wire set up which included the relay, fuse block, and LED lighted switch.

For the PIAA high intensity set up with rear fog lights, I purchased a water resistant switch block from Blueray. www.bluesea.com/category/5 With a little help from a grinder I mounted it on the left side next to the speaker.

Ari did a really nice modification of the BMW switch for a bar mounted light set up that included 6 switches, but I was unable to find a source for the mini switches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010163.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	15975  

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 8:48 am

The Phoenix Switches are the cleanest, stock looking switches I've seen. There is a complete breakdown on it, plus part numbers in the Hall of Wisdom.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 9:23 am

Here is the Phoenix switch mod that the others referred to.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizqu...ADDINGSWITCHES

If you or somebody else would need those switches I can easily send them over. I have already sent a couple of dozen all over the world...

The cost of these switches is not bad, a set of ten would make about 40 USD including air mail shipping. So far they have lasted in my bike for three seasons already and all I do is spray some dielectric spray in them once or twice per season.

I am currently in process of redoing and documenting all my electricals and the attached pics show what things looked like after pulling all the current wires and relays out. The next installation will be a lot cleaner...

Regards
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Old connections in front 2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	15976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old connections in the rear 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	15977  

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #6 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:29 am

Ari !!! WOW.. sure glad you have a long and snowy winter.. that looks like it will take a while to do..With all your farkles I expect you have your own auxiliary wiring chart! I will be looking forward to photos of updated you do.. we find new toys to add :<)

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarver
I'm to the point to where I need to add some switches for some of the extras that are already installed or about to be installed. What are some of the methods others on here have used to take care of this. Where did you put the switches, what switch did you use, etc. I do intend to add the aux fuse block as it is already a mess under there.

tia, tcars
John
I wasn't to enamored with some of the switch setups I had seen, so I rep'd one myself. With the Blue Sea fuse block under the seat, the whole process is nice and clean. The switch block is movable and sealed. The whole set-up is relay controlled.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0112A.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	15978  

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #8 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:38 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Ari, DON'T CUT THE BLUE WIRE !!!!!!!

Just Kidding. Looks like you will be busy for some time. Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
I know Ari the mad farkle Fin did a wonderful job of adding 6 custom switches to his RH grip area, but I have yet to see a cluster of switches on the market. I wiah there was such a thing. I have 2 switches hidden in the oddments box on the stingray - not a satisfactory solution at all.
Would you happen to have a pic of your switches in the oddments box? I'm assuming that is above the casette deck. As for the cassette deck, seems to be wasted space, anyone taken it out and used the space otherwise?

tcars
John

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

post #10 of 12 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The Phoenix Switches are the cleanest, stock looking switches I've seen. There is a complete breakdown on it, plus part numbers in the Hall of Wisdom.
I must agree, that is a clean setup. Ari gave a quote on the switches and I think I've seen pics of those switches installed in the sting ray, but I could not find it. Also on the Phoenix setup, I'm assuming that those parts come from BMW. If that is so, can you get just the housing?

tia, tcars
John

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

post #11 of 12 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:10 pm

Quote:
I must agree, that is a clean setup. Ari gave a quote on the switches and I think I've seen pics of those switches installed in the sting ray, but I could not find it. Also on the Phoenix setup, I'm assuming that those parts come from BMW. If that is so, can you get just the housing?

tia, tcars
John
Yes, the housing is sold seperate, as are the switches. The part numbers are in the Hall of Wisdom.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 5:25 am

Quote:
I'm to the point to where I need to add some switches for some of the extras that are already installed or about to be installed. What are some of the methods others on here have used to take care of this. Where did you put the switches, what switch did you use, etc.
Well I did this:

One controls the fog light brake flasher and the other one puts the foglights on continuously.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	switches.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	16013  

Just pussin' through.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in