N. Houston Dealer & Key For LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 4:30 pm Thread Starter

N. Houston Dealer & Key For LT

I just got back from BMW North Houston - actually I waited a while in order to calm down a bit. I wanted a duplicate key made. They told me I had to give them proof of ownershhip (OK), then they would send to BMW to get a new key made for only $65 + tax! For a key! I didn't have the courage to ask how much a remote would be! Looking for more punishment, I went to buy all the fluids for my 12K - oil, tranny fluid, rear end, coolant, etc. It took almost an hour for the counter guy to find the stuff and bill me out. I was headed out the door when he called me back to say he finally has it done! 7 items-$68. Unreal! Are they all this way? Nice 60 mile ride today, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 4:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You're lucky. I have been there 4 times and never got anything the first time.
Go to Wild West in Katy or mail order.
There is a fob on ebay right now. Should work but will need to be programmed.

Dan Martin
Alief
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 4:54 pm

That's why their called STEALERSHIPS!

I never buy anything at dealers unless it is an absolute last resort. Cars and Bikes. I get keys for under $5 locally and all fluids at local auto supplies ON SALE. Oil for my 4 bikes is $.49 per qt at Checker on sale and rebate. Watch the ads. Stock up ahead of time. So far I saved $200 on about 14 cases of oil. It's going to get more expensive, just think ahead.
And for all you that think OEM oil or synthetics are better just "Google" up oil research, OEMs do not make their own lubricants. My 100k mile bikes are clean inside, do not burn oil, get different Mfger's every change, I mix brands on the same change and always use the cheapest I can find. Just change it often with the correct viscosity!

Last edited by suzbmwhnd; Jan 9th, 2008 at 4:57 pm. Reason: Grammer

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 5:40 pm

How I got my keys

Bought my bike used in Seattle, knowing I'd be gone from there and isolated in El Paso. So I purchased eight blanks from RideWest (four plain, four rubberized).

When I got to El Paso, I initially had a problem with the first locksmith who would only duplicate keys onto blanks he sold; the next one did the copies (but said he couldn't warantee them because they were steel blanks).

Nonetheless, everything worked out.

If my memory serves correctly, a couple of months ago someone had come upon a large number of blanks. My advice would be to get them when you can and trust your local locksmith.
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 5:52 pm

Wild West or Houston North

I have got my 12k mile check up coming on my 04 LT and didn't know whether to take it to Wild West which is closer or Houston North. I think you just answered that for me. Only had it since August, so I don't really know enough to do the service yet by myself. I am at 11,874 and probably won't get it done before the Next RTE to Victoria. I would like to tag a long when you all come through Sugar Land on 59 South to Victoria. I am finishing a bathroom redo between now and the 27th, so it probably won't get to the shop.
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 8:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLTex
I have got my 12k mile check up coming on my 04 LT and didn't know whether to take it to Wild West which is closer or Houston North. I think you just answered that for me. Only had it since August, so I don't really know enough to do the service yet by myself. I am at 11,874 and probably won't get it done before the Next RTE to Victoria. I would like to tag a long when you all come through Sugar Land on 59 South to Victoria. I am finishing a bathroom redo between now and the 27th, so it probably won't get to the shop.
Or you could ride 5 miles north this Sunday to my house and we can do it in a couple of hours. Engine,tranny and rear drive oils,plugs, check valves if you want.
Coolant too, wouldn't bother with fuel or air filters.

dan
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:07 pm

Dealer's closing........

OK.............I don't want to see any of you guys whining when your local dealer closes/out of business I'm pretty sure that the parts are sold at retail and usually not marked up from there so, parts prices shouldn't vary from dealer to dealer but, the level of service certainly can/does I have had very good luck with parts being in stock or ordered in a timely manner at Gulf Coast BMW

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:51 pm

You say this ONLY because you deal with Gulf Coast BMW. Good dealer, good people, a quirky old building and unpretentious. I'm a customer there too.

Now, as for BMW North Houston - been there, done that. Could care less if they close it down. That joint was put there for one reason only, a good location to plant a slick building to cash in on the recent MC fad and drain dumb RUB's pockets. They DO NOT GET IT that BMW riders are enthusiasts, they may know a thing or two about their machine and, most of all, have high expectations.

We need more REAL BMW outfits like Gulf Coast BMW/Triumph.
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 1:00 am
KIC

Our local dealer sells the blanks for around $7.81 with tax. Just bought two. They sell, I think for the RT, the blanks that have the hole in the rubber for a split ring.
They don't cut the key, but have a deal with a local ACE Hardware who will cut them last one at no cost .

I don't put any other keys on the ring so it won't rattle or scratch/mess up the ignition/handle bar area.

Since I keep losing the dang things I have had to buy 3 in the last 2 months. Bought two 3 weeks ago and already can't find one of the new ones that I never even used.

Bought a couple of those wrist holder things that look like a slinky so as soon as I get off the bike I slip it on my wrist. (still lost the new one with it on it)

It's gotta be a pack rat stealin' them keys !

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 6:01 am

And everyone laughs at me when I say I miss the nail.

Hackercraft
03 LTE
72 75/5 Gone to a new home
03 R1200CLC Hannigan Classic ordered

BMWOA # 134205

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 7:55 am

I have one or two blanks that I do not need somewhere. ILCO BMW typ 2s for about a buck each. Send me a PM with address and I will send you one for free as a backup for your $65.00 key.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in