LT to Harley - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:27 am Thread Starter

LT to Harley

Traded my LT for a 2008 HD Ultra today.
The Lt is/has been an incredible ride and I would suggest it to any-one looking for the ultimate touring bike.
I thought it was time for a change and I was impressed with the recent improvements on the HD - ABS Brakes, cable-less throttle, built-in intercom with factory PTT,etc. - a long way from the Duo-Glide I rode in the 60's.
I hope that BMW can strengthen it's dealer network, as this was one of my main concerns with the brand and a deciding factor in making a trade.
Thank-you to the members of this group who have provided superb advise, direction and friendship for the last 6 years. I hope to see you "on the road" and you can rest assured that I will be giving you a hearty wave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:40 am Thread Starter

Oops - forgot to upload a photo.

If you see one of these on the road with a rider dressed in all Bmw gear it's very likely me. .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ElectraGlide Ultra.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	15963  
post #3 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 6:58 am

New Bike

Congrats on your new bike. I know you'll enjoy it. I liked your flamed out Beemer. Looked great. I checked out your club photos. I noticed several Suzuki LC1500's and Boulevards. Those are great bikes also. I owned an '02 LC1500 and loved the bike. Hope to make it up your way some day. Ride safe.........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

post #4 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 7:45 am

That's the only Harley I have ever been tempted by. Problem for me is the chrome - all the time shining it is wasted riding time!
Good luck

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:02 am
KIC

Well....

Hate to see one of our own go to the dark side. but like they say.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Brain4.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	15966  

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #6 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:48 am

I am sure you will enjoy your new ride. I also have a Ultra. I have owned Harleys for over 40 years and the one thing I will miss when I sell my Ultra this Spring is....the low end rumble. You can't get that with a BMW!
There was something fun and adventerous about the old Harleys. I had to have the Magneto in just the right position and 2 twists of the throttle and ...Kick! If she didn't start...go have another beer. Then try again! Those days are gone and with it the adventure.
After trying a friends LT this last year...I went directly out and purchased one.

Hope you enjoy your new ride!

GolfGuy

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #7 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:13 am

Roy,

Congrats on the new bike! Did you buy it at the bike show last weekend? Hope you got a good trade in on the LT. Are you still going to be involved in the Motorcycle ride for Dad this year?

Ken

Ken Riach

2007 K1200LT

"
post #8 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:20 am

Thumbs down

A giant step down and backward...Peer pressure??
post #9 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 1:01 pm

Garage
A day on any bike beats any day at the office.
post #10 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 1:07 pm
Gold Supporter

Congrats on the new ride and have many safe miles with her. I see you went for the new anniversary colors. NICE!!!

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #11 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 4:07 pm

Hey Roy, what a surprise! Oh well, we all have our dark moments...

No no, just kidding! Nice bike but your LT's flame job beats this HD color hands down.
Good luck with your new ride and I am bold enough to invite myself to visit you again sometime in 2011 or 2012..Let's see what we will be riding then.

Greetings to sis as well!

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #12 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 7:02 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Enjoy your new ride!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #13 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 8:06 pm

Very nice looking bike. I really like the new copper color.

I should trade you my H-D leather jacket for your BMW jacket, eh?
post #14 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 8:54 pm
JDW

Thinking about trading my LT too. I have enjoyed my LT but it reminds me of the stories i have heard about the old Harleys leaking oil. Oil leak around cam cover, oil leak from rear main , and oil leaking from final drive, plus shocks at 27,000 miles all out of warranty. I bought my LT with BMW's reputation for quality in mind. To say the least I am sadly disappointed. Thinking I might see a rice burner in my future.
post #15 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 8:58 pm

Enjoy the Ultra, I love mine. Loved the LT also, but lease was up and time for a change. I always had harleys, but in 2002 they got crazy with their pricing. After the LT lease was up I didn't want the same bike, knowing in a year or so the new improved LT might be out. I missed my Electra Glide anyway. The LT was fantastic, but lacks soul and a REAL dealer network. If the new LT is nice, I'll get another, ussually have 2 bikes anyway...Doesn't everyone?

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
post #16 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 9:02 pm
fas

LT to HD

Good looking HD. Hope it provides many miles of safe service for you. When I sold my LT and got the GT I went for more power and less weight. Guess you went for more noise and vibration?

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #17 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW
Thinking about trading my LT too. I have enjoyed my LT but it reminds me of the stories i have heard about the old Harleys leaking oil. Oil leak around cam cover, oil leak from rear main , and oil leaking from final drive, plus shocks at 27,000 miles all out of warranty. I bought my LT with BMW's reputation for quality in mind. To say the least I am sadly disappointed. Thinking I might see a rice burner in my future.
Pan & Shovelheads leaked, EVO's a little at the rockers (solved with better gaskets), but Twin Cam 88 & 96's rarely leak. I have said this before and will say it again...you can't truly compare the 2 (LT & EG) both tourers, but different. Enjoy each for what they are. The Harley has Soul, not found in any Metrics and a Dealer network second to none. Have a problem with a dealer, another is not far away. Oh, and the T-Shirts are better.

post #18 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 9:38 pm

105th Anniversary Edition

Nice ride. If I pass you on the Highway One, I'll wave back.

What did you do with the LT?

Keep your booger picker off the bang switch, until you want a loud noise. DVC
post #19 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:31 pm

Hd....

Congrats...

I did same thing almost 4 years ago and have now gone back to my old LT.

Did it, enjoyed it, got it out of my system and returned wondering why I left

Whatever your reasons, enjoy the ride...

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #20 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:43 pm

Life is too short to be absolutist.

Enjoy the hell out of your new ride!!

See ya on the road - I hope. Brews are on me at the stop. :up:

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #21 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:46 pm

It does look a lot more like a fire truck than your LT. (jus' kidding)

It's also the exact Harley that I was oogling over when I made the final decision to buy my LT. Enjoy the ride, it's a beautiful bike!

>Kevin

2006 BMW K1200LT Magnesium Black Graphite
post #22 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all.

Ken - No, I didn't make it to the bike show this year (I was in New York). Life has been a little hectic so I haven't been able to be on the Ride For Dad committee but hopefully things will slow down soon.

DanBrown - "Peer Pressure" - not likely in this lifetime. Besides - all my peers ride Honda's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's and BMW's (check my website).
I do remember that as a 10 year old I met an "old guy" in town with a HD dresser (with fish-tail pipes) and I promised myself that I would own one "some day"--today is "some day".

Ari - Thanks. You don't need to be bold - you are welcome in my home any-time. Mary moved to upstate New York, so now you have that option open to you also. You left a lasting impression with a lot of people on your last trip to North America. On your next trip you are likely to find that your biggest problem will be touching base with all the people you met last time. (the ones you miss will be "upset" with you)

2Alpha - traded it. Didn't need the hassle of trying to sell it myself and the owner of the dealership likes BMWs.

I have a bunch of goodies that I'm not "giving away" with the bike. Once I get a list together I will post it here. (then when I buy my next LT I can repurchase it all )
post #23 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:27 pm

Thumbs up Going back to HD

Yes I too am going back to HD. My 2000 Ultra had 80K trouble free miles. Hit 23 states and Canada twice. Never a worry. The LT is a great bike just not for me. So is a Goldwing but have no desire to own one. The repair costs and lack of dealers is my main concern on the BMW. When I did my 24K service on the 05LT I asked the dealer for a price to do just the ABS brake service. Flush fluid and plug the computer to it. Quoted me $400, I said in 120K Harley miles I never had a $400 repair let alone $400 annual service. Dealer said "maybe you should be on a Harley". I guess he was right. I will likely own more Beemers. I just have to get an old enough one that I Do not need the dealer. I have a soft spot for GS bikes. At 47 years of age I have owned 52 Motorcycles and at least one of every major brand so more Beemers are likely as well as many other brands.I have a Buell for my Hooligan tendencies and short of dirt bikes probably the most fun bike I have ever ridden.. The truth of the matter is you cannot buy a bad motorcycle anymore-there all good. Just have to decide for yourself what puts the biggest smile on your face. -----------Rethy
post #24 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:48 pm

Good looking bike

Roy - I almost went your same decision last year, but it felt small and such. Anyway, are you still going to pull the trailer?
post #25 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:46 am

I have had two HD's and still think that the Ultra is the best looking bike made. Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #26 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:03 am

I was in a dealership the other day looking at one. Beautiful bike.
post #27 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 2:48 pm

Just the opposite for me. Just bought a 2008 LT after selling the 2007 HD Ultra. Noise and reliability were the issues for me.

Mark
post #28 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 5:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4mark
Just the opposite for me. Just bought a 2008 LT after selling the 2007 HD Ultra. Noise and reliability were the issues for me.

Mark
Curious, how long did you own your 2007 HD and what issues did you have with it? Noise? Was it stock? Reliability> Just curious.

post #29 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Roy, congratulations on the new bike. Yeah, that's the Harley-Davidson I'd like to try for a week or two...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #30 of 32 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 11:55 pm

LT to HD Ultra

Hi Roy,
Congrats on the new ride. I did almost the same thing except I bought the Anniversary Road Glide. Tried the Road King & the Ultra but for some reason my bod didn't fit on them. Felt like I was sat on the tank & could see the gauges clearly. The Road Glide however fit me perfect.
Don't you just love the colour. These bikes must be the best looking bikes on the road. I will sure keep a look out for you on my journeys south from Edmonton.
BTW are you considering going to the anniversary party in Milwaukee? I'm thinking about - just don't know if I can get enough time to ride there and back & have time to party.
Again congrats on the ride - it sure is a beautiful bike

Mike
post #31 of 32 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 3:01 am

See You in the Right Lane

You will get tired of riding in the right lane all of the time. The Port of Seattle recently bought 20 Ultra's----they are using them for anchors.

Just teasing. Good luck with it!! A beautiful machine.
post #32 of 32 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Be careful.. the "headshake" can be very interesting.. that's why HD bought mine back... be careful!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in