Looking to buy a new LT, but what should I know about them? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:08 pm Thread Starter

Looking to buy a new LT, but what should I know about them?

I currently have a 2002 Kawasaki Concours that I am in the midst of selling to help fund my next purchase. I was looking at the RT, GT, and then the dealer suggest I look at the LT he had outside. My wife was with me and once she looked at the LT and sat on it she decided that is the one she wants me to buy. On the plus side, after I mentioned that the LT might not be my personal choice for in-city/commuting ride and might want another bike she was OK with that too. So, I'm happy. I Can get two motorcycles!

So, what should I look out for in a new purchase? Anything? Extended warrenties? Financing specials?

And if I should decide to purchase used, what there to make sure I don't buy a dud? And how long is the factory warernty? I ask because often you can buy a factory extended warrenty if the bike has an existing warrenty still in effect. If that's true for BMW bikes, then I know how the limit on hold old a bike to look out for.

Thanks (in advance) for any input. And if you have a suggestion for a nice nimble in-city ride for me to look at feel free to chime in.

PS: I have been reading the existing threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 3:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
I currently have a 2002 Kawasaki Concours that I am in the midst of selling to help fund my next purchase. I was looking at the RT, GT, and then the dealer suggest I look at the LT he had outside. My wife was with me and once she looked at the LT and sat on it she decided that is the one she wants me to buy. On the plus side, after I mentioned that the LT might not be my personal choice for in-city/commuting ride and might want another bike she was OK with that too. So, I'm happy. I Can get two motorcycles!

So, what should I look out for in a new purchase? Anything? Extended warrenties? Financing specials?

And if I should decide to purchase used, what there to make sure I don't buy a dud? And how long is the factory warernty? I ask because often you can buy a factory extended warrenty if the bike has an existing warrenty still in effect. If that's true for BMW bikes, then I know how the limit on hold old a bike to look out for.

Thanks (in advance) for any input. And if you have a suggestion for a nice nimble in-city ride for me to look at feel free to chime in.

PS: I have been reading the existing threads.
Hello Arthur and welcome.

I suggest that you check out this thread:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...549#post251549

Here are some suggestions:

Here is what I would check:

1) Check rear tire for side to side play. If there is any, final drive is an issue

2) After running the bike for a while, check under the bike between the transmission and the engine (or anywhere else for that matter) for moistness from oil, transmission fluid, etc. Any oily wetness would show some kind of seal leaking.

3) Check the tires to see how much tread is left..

4) If you can get them to drain the final drive fluid so an inspection of the drain plug magnet can be made to see if there are any metal filings on it would be good. If there is, final drive may be at issue.

5) Get the full service record and review it personally.

Any work that needs to be done should be added to the price if you can not negotiate it out of the deal. That will add directly to the price of the bike.

Also:

Whatever you decide, they are all great.. Be careful with regard to another issue:

I would not buy an LT that has been sitting for an extended period of time. Check the service records thoroughly. If the bike, a '99, has low mileage (say less then 35-40K), there is a good chance that is the case. If the bike has been sitting for an extended period of time, the possibility increases that you may have issues with engine/transmission/drive seals. These repairs are very expensive. In fact, many of the problems that you hear about (slave cylinder, clutch replacements due to contamination) are due to leaking. The seals go bad... It happened to me. I purchased mine with 800 miles on the clock in '05 and had just had these issues resolved under extended warranty.

I preach extended warranty, especially when you are new to the LT, since you really don't know what you are getting into. Most full coverage extended warranty programs that I have experiece with require the bike to be under manufacturer's warranty for the best rate.

Don't get me wrong, I love my LT.. Just want to make sure that you go into this relationship with your eyes open. You may never have one of these problems. I like you was stricken with the bike when I first rode it..

But, consider protecting yourself financially from this type of potential risk. Especially if you are doing creative financing to get the bike. Also, find out what type of warranty the dealer is offering you on the bike (if any). That is a point for negotiation. I am sure your SO wouldn't be very happy with a bike that needs expensive repairs, right ??? Especially if you need to pay for it.

I wouldn't buy another LT without an extended warranty. I have said it many times and I will continue to preach EXTENDED WARRANTY. They seem to pay for themselves almost always with these bikes after the honeymoon is over!!!!

Here is the extended warranty information that I have and I would recommend this company whole heartedly.. You do not need the BMW dealer to purchase this:

Hello,

I have an '03 LTC and went independant for my warranty. Great company called protective insurance. I have saved 2500.00 on repairs. The 4 year policy cost me less then 1000.00. The dealer will have them, but you will probably pay for their markup.

Check out the following, I would highly recommend them.

Company: Lyndon Property Insurance, CO
601 Carlson Parkway, Suite 990
Minnetonka, MN 55305
800-909-7636

Parent: Protective

See attached for a brochure of the policy I have...

Policy Name: Xtraride Plus
Their retail price when I bought it in 7/5/05 was: 1022.00
Deductible: 50.00 per incident
Coverage: All inclusive except wear items.
Purchased while bike was still under manufacturer's warranty

www.protective.com
post #3 of 3 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:08 pm

Smile Lt Purchase

Hello Arthur welcome to the site! I hope you will enjoy and benefit from what all contribute to the group. It is always great to buy new and have a three year warranty on your LT knowing your not getting someone else's problem child. But if I had it to do over I would buy used with at least a year and a half or two years warranty left on the bike if possible and let someone else eat the depreciation which is great on all bikes that cost as much as the LT,GW or Ultra Glide. Its a great motorcycle and will impress you in many ways once you get use to its traits and that can happen quickly if you stay in the saddle a lot. My wife loves the comfort of the bike and she is 5' 11 and I am 5'9 and never complains about the ride or room in her space. Be patient look for a good deal and I think you will love the bike if you get the LT. As far as a bike to ride around town if I had the money for two bikes I would look hard at the BMW F800ST or the SUZUKI 1250 Bandit both are very capable in any situation you would find in the city or on short rides in the country. Just remember that the resale on the LT is no where near what you will pay new for it if you sell it in 2 or 3 years after you get it. Have a great day and good hunting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in