Slow Fuel Gauge Recovery - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Question Slow Fuel Gauge Recovery

After I refueled today it took the gas gauge several minutes before it moved from its near-empty indicator. Once it started to move, it took about 30 minutes to show "full", gradually creeping upward. The OBC acted the same way; I left it on Distance to Empty and actually watched it count UP from 20 miles to 265 miles. This is the first time I've seen this; usually, after a fill-up, the gauge shows full instantly.

Any ideas why this would happen?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 9:12 pm
Gold Supporter

Your fuel sending unit's sensor rod got bent. Have you noticed difficulty getting your gas cap off due to suction?

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

Last edited by Lonewuff; Jan 8th, 2008 at 9:27 pm.
post #3 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 9:18 pm

Gas Gauge & BC Delay

I experienced identical symptoms on my 1997. Sometimes gauge would register full immediately upon turning on the key, and sometimes it would take half an hour to gradually creep back to full reading. Meantime, the trip computer readings are off as well. It happened to act up as I was on my way to dealer for service appointment, and I was able to show him a full tank of full and a half full reading. He was not surprised by it, and replaced the fuel gauge sensor tube on the spot. Has been working fine since that warranty repair.

post #4 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaul
I experienced identical symptoms on my 1997. Sometimes gauge would register full immediately upon turning on the key, and sometimes it would take half an hour to gradually creep back to full reading. Meantime, the trip computer readings are off as well. It happened to act up as I was on my way to dealer for service appointment, and I was able to show him a full tank of full and a half full reading. He was not surprised by it, and replaced the fuel gauge sensor tube on the spot. Has been working fine since that warranty repair.
Jerry: no problem taking the fill cap off, ever.

Spaul: Was that an expensive repair? (I'm out of warranty)

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #5 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
After I refueled today it took the gas gauge several minutes before it moved from its near-empty indicator. Once it started to move, it took about 30 minutes to show "full", gradually creeping upward. The OBC acted the same way; I left it on Distance to Empty and actually watched it count UP from 20 miles to 265 miles. This is the first time I've seen this; usually, after a fill-up, the gauge shows full instantly.

My bike did the same thing the first few times I filled it up when it was new. It then corrected itself and has worked okay ever since. I usually fill up while the bike is on the center stand. Maybe your issue will clear itself up after a few gas fillups.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

Not all those who wander are lost.

post #6 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I see this issue with my 05 when I use the kill switch to turn off the bike (so i don't have to use the fob to restart) and fill it up. Takes several miles to start the slow progression to full. If I turn it off with the key and fill up, it shows full when I turn the key back on. I figured that it was just a "quirk" of the computer and sensors.
post #7 of 17 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 2:29 am

I had the same problem after I ran the bike almost dry and left it on the sidestand for the night ... next morning this happened. It happened only that one time.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.
post #8 of 17 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 1:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Howard,

That happened to me once - about 15K ago and has not returned since. I was ready to take it apart and check it out but it didn't ever do it again.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 17 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 1:54 pm

Quote:
Jerry: no problem taking the fill cap off, ever.

Spaul: Was that an expensive repair? (I'm out of warranty)
You can probably buy one from one of our used parts vendors. Once you get the stingray off it should be easy to replace.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #10 of 17 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 3:30 pm

Mine does it sometimes. Maybe once every 10 fills.
post #11 of 17 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 5:25 pm

Exclamation A leetle off-topic, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
I usually fill up while the bike is on the center stand.
You can get almost an entire gallon more fuel in your LT if you fill it up whilst on the side stand. Just some food for thought... (The LT has a very oddly-shaped fuel tank.)
post #12 of 17 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 6:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
You can get almost an entire gallon more fuel in your LT if you fill it up whilst on the side stand. Just some food for thought... (The LT has a very oddly-shaped fuel tank.)
Thanks...I'll keep that in mind when I tour toward the West coast during '2008. I recall some pretty long distances between gas stations starting in N. Dakota and Montana. I'm thinking Idaho, Nevada, and eastern Oregon may be have a scarcity of gas stations particularly when using the local roads.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

Not all those who wander are lost.

post #13 of 17 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 7:26 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew
I see this issue with my 05 when I use the kill switch to turn off the bike (so i don't have to use the fob to restart) and fill it up.
You can re-program the alarm so you don't have to use the fob to start each time.

Alarm

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 17 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 8:11 pm

Sensor Rod

Over the last few months, my gas gauge has stopped going up to the full mark. Maybe 7/8ths on a good day, usually it goes a shade over 3/4. I do not have difficulty removing the gas cap nor has there ever been the tell tale "whoosh" when opening the cap. The last few weeks the low fuel light comes on and when I fill up (on the side stand) it only takes 3.7 gallons to fill the tank. That seems a bit premature (and the low fuel light wouldn't come on before until I was down about 5 gallons). Am I getting in to an electronic problem or could a bent sensor rod be the cause? My 24k service is around the corner for my '04 LT so the tear down will be forthcoming. Thanks as always for your advice.
post #15 of 17 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 9:04 pm

Quote:

My 07 has started doing that last fill. Till then, it worked great. I thought maybe it was a low battery problem.

2006 LT
Times dropped(so far): 2
2006 FZ-1
Speeding tickets(so far): 0

IBA

"Four things greater than all things are,-
Women and Horses and Power and War." Rudyard Kipling
post #16 of 17 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Interesting answers, everybody. Thanks.

A couple of additional notes I thought of:
  • I always fill on the side stand (thanks, Joe).
  • This same symptom happened once previously, many moons ago, but not until this last fill-up. I had forgotten about that.
  • 90% of the time at a gas station I kill the engine by deploying the side stand (as opposed to the ignition switch or on/off switch).
If it continues to be an issue I'll probably have the dealer replace/repair it. It sounds like it's not an expensive proposition.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #17 of 17 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:06 am

My '06 has intermittently displayed the same error in fuel level (slow to show full, sometimes has not ever gone all the way up before being used - while on a tank to tank road trip)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in