Cooling System? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Question Cooling System?

I have a 2003 LTC. When I first got the bike with 13K on it, I noticed that fluid was leaking from under the bike. Investigation showed it to be the little bottle under the seat, what ever it is called with coolant in it.
Anyway, the system was overfilled the dealership said and fluid was drained from the system.
Now at 15K it is doing the same thing, the system seems to be "overfilled" but I have added no fluid.
Is there some restriction in the system that is not allowing the fluid to return to the radiators? Do you think that the thermostat needs replacing?
Has anyone had this happen before?
Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 7:16 pm

Check the easiest first, I would start with a new radiator cap.

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 9:27 pm

I have a 03 LTE. check with your dealer, there was a recall on radiator caps. mine was replaced aprox 2 yrs ago under warr.

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 7:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrown
I have a 03 LTE. check with your dealer, there was a recall on radiator caps. mine was replaced aprox 2 yrs ago under warr.
I called the local dealership, Orlando BMW and was told that there was never a recal on the radiator cap. But, I am going to start with putting a new cap on it. Does anybody know the pressure of the OEM cap?
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 7:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
I called the local dealership, Orlando BMW and was told that there was never a recal on the radiator cap. But, I am going to start with putting a new cap on it. Does anybody know the pressure of the OEM cap?
I think it is 21 lbs. I bought a 16lb one as my dealer ( BMW of North Houston) did not stock this. Took 2 weeks to order it in. Meant to replace it last week when i had the plastic off.

dan
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 8:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
I think it is 21 lbs. I bought a 16lb one as my dealer ( BMW of North Houston) did not stock this. Took 2 weeks to order it in. Meant to replace it last week when i had the plastic off.

dan
I don't have a huge understanding of how this should work... Is it better to go with a higher or lower pound rating on the cap? Does a lower rating mean that the system will open sooner? It stays pretty hot in Florida.
What say you?
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 8:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I don't have a huge understanding of how this should work... Is it better to go with a higher or lower pound rating on the cap? Does a lower rating mean that the system will open sooner? It stays pretty hot in Florida.
What say you?
Higher pressure gives you a higher boiling point. I've been running the 16lb cap for 6-8 months. Have noticed no difference in running temp and no evidence of boilover. I still intend to change back to the 21lb cap if this "forgetfullness" ever lets go.

dan
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 9:33 am Thread Starter

Quote:
I have a 2003 LTC. When I first got the bike with 13K on it, I noticed that fluid was leaking from under the bike. Investigation showed it to be the little bottle under the seat, what ever it is called with coolant in it.
Anyway, the system was overfilled the dealership said and fluid was drained from the system.
Now at 15K it is doing the same thing, the system seems to be "overfilled" but I have added no fluid.
Is there some restriction in the system that is not allowing the fluid to return to the radiators? Do you think that the thermostat needs replacing?
Has anyone had this happen before?
Thanks for the advice!
What would be the best coolant to use in the LT?
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 6:04 pm

If you are just topping it off, I'd top off with the same color from the BMW shop. Some coolants are not compatible with others. However if you are going to drain and replace, I'd consider the Propylene Glycol coolant from Amsoil.

This coolant is similar to the Propylene Glyclol coolant Engine Ice, but costs half as much. Propylene Glycol has a much lower toxicity to pets and children than Ethylene Glycol and requires no special disposal procedures. It is compatible with all other major ethylene and propylene coolants if you have to top off with another coolant far from home. It is recommended for motorcycles by Amsoil and can be used up to 7 years or 250,000 miles. It is what I used for the last few years I owned my 137,000 mile 2000 K1200LT and what I will use for my first coolant change in my 2006 K1200LT. It has been sold in several Houston area motorcycle shops for the past 3 years.
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 9:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
What would be the best coolant to use in the LT?
Thanks a lot,now you got him going again.

dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in