Winter Breakdown - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 4:45 pm Thread Starter

Winter Breakdown

As I finally began to strip the plastic to fix my leaking brake lines I decided to go nuts and start removing a lot of stuff. Now As I sit hear and look at the parts that will eventually have to go back on, I was wondering if all of them do. For instance last year I did a canisterectomy, which of course if it isn't clogged you won't notice any difference but if it is clogged well we all know the story. What about the intake muffler looking like thingy. does it have a point beyond restricing airflow. I believe BMW just calls it a "cup" Part Number "13711465261". I am sure I will notice other things that might seem questionable this year but to be honest, I gashed my knuckle pretty good getting it off the bike so I am pretty sure It doesn't want to go back on the bike...by me anyway.

And if anyone has any other ideas tips or tricks to do when all the plastic is off feel free to post.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 5:41 pm

Winter Strip Down

The baffle is an intake sound suppressor. When I do my winter tear down I'm dumping it, and hoping for some improvement in throttle response.
I would put in a K&N filter if I were you, complete any wiring projects and change your coolant while the plastic is off.

If you have a bike older than 05 you should consider doing the "upgrade to 05" throttle.
How about some irridium plugs?
post #3 of 13 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandmelanie
I would put in a K&N filter if I were you, complete any wiring projects and change your coolant while the plastic is off.

If you have a bike older than 05 you should consider doing the "upgrade to 05" throttle.
I have plans for oil, coolant and plugs already and well my pockets are pretty shallow these days, with a kid on the way, so the 05 throttle won't be happening. Air filter is a maybe. thanks for the ideas.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151

post #4 of 13 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 9:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandmelanie
The baffle is an intake sound suppressor. When I do my winter tear down I'm dumping it, and hoping for some improvement in throttle response.

The only thing I was wondering: Does that extension on the air intake help the bike get "cold" or at least "cooler" air from the front of the bike instead of "heated" air from underneath the fairing...where we know BMW does a good job of directing it?

In extreme heat (which we tend to have here in the South), it might be a concern in the summer (i.e. - stop and go traffic, etc). Any thoughts?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 13 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
The only thing I was wondering: Does that extension on the air intake help the bike get "cold" or at least "cooler" air from the front of the bike instead of "heated" air from underneath the fairing...where we know BMW does a good job of directing it?

In extreme heat (which we tend to have here in the South), it might be a concern in the summer (i.e. - stop and go traffic, etc). Any thoughts?
If that is the case, the intake baffle still restricts airflow, in which you could easily make and extension of any scrap tube you have laying around. But I will test performance and sound before I go modifying the intake on this thing, because it is entirely possible that the intake is tuned. maybe it will be more snappy, maybe it will be the same, or maybe it will sound really cool

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #6 of 13 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 8:38 am

I would be very interested in your results.
I could really do with all that useful space up frount for my new air horns!!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
. . .
I could really do with all that useful space up frount for my new air horns!!
Make sure you point the horns INTO the air intake to get a 'turbo boost' effect when you use them

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #8 of 13 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 8:59 am

Those Nautilus air horns are amazing, but maybe not that amazing!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #9 of 13 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 9:52 am
KIC

So...

What's the deal with the "05 throttle upgrade" ? I have a 2000 LTC. What can I expect from an upgrade, and how much/how hard to complete?

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #10 of 13 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 9:55 am
ajs

And if anyone has any other ideas tips or tricks to do when all the plastic is off feel free to post.[/QUOTE]

One of the things I did when I had all the plastic off and the gas tank, I ran two 1/2" dia. lines, using plastic air brake line, from the general area of the battery compartment up and under the left and right side of the tank to the area directly behind the front forks. These are both empty and are available as a conduit for wiring should I, or a future owner, decide to add more farkles. The right side one was easier to install. (more room) The left side one was a tighter fit especially at the rear of the tank just before the bike frame that makes up the battery compartment. To date they are still empty, but they are convenient to have.
post #11 of 13 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC
What's the deal with the "05 throttle upgrade" ? I have a 2000 LTC. What can I expect from an upgrade, and how much/how hard to complete?
If your wrist doesn't ache, then don't bother with it. But if the throttle seems unaccepably stiff, then you can cure that with this fix.
I got my local dealers to do mine, so I can't say how hard it is, but part costs are on here somewhere if you hit the right search term. I was very happy with the result

post #12 of 13 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs

One of the things I did when I had all the plastic off and the gas tank, I ran two 1/2" dia. lines, using plastic air brake line, from the general area of the battery compartment up and under the left and right side of the tank to the area directly behind the front forks. These are both empty and are available as a conduit for wiring should I, or a future owner, decide to add more farkles. The right side one was easier to install. (more room) The left side one was a tighter fit especially at the rear of the tank just before the bike frame that makes up the battery compartment. To date they are still empty, but they are convenient to have.
Good Idea, I will be yanking the tank tomorrow and I have some stray wires I would like to organize.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #13 of 13 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Jeremy good luck with the break down!
I know about winter that is

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in