cover for stock headlight? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:17 am Thread Starter

cover for stock headlight?

Any recommendations for the protective cover for the stock headlight? Are there more than one kind? Are they removable once on?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:28 am

Headlight Cover

Try Cee Baileys

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 3:22 pm

Yep Cee Baileys

Gene
'06 K1200LT
IBA 31499

post #4 of 25 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 4:36 pm

3M Clear Film

A search should find information on this. I put it on years ago and it is still transparent. About 1/16 thick and "guaranteed" to protect your headlight. Seem to remember it costing less than $20.00 and you don't have to take it off to clean. Set up and forget.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 25 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 5:59 pm

You can also get them at Aerostich.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #6 of 25 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 6:15 pm

You can have.

I have one in the garage you can have. Pay for shipping and it's yours. Used for my Alaska trip, needs new velcro strip. PM me your address and I will stick it in the mail or whoever wants it.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #7 of 25 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

WOW, $46 for the Cee Bailey.

Any link for the proper 3M kit and/or where you may have bought that?

Great evening in NE PA, temps in the mid 50's at 6pm. Got to ride 125 miles on this outstanding Jan afternoon! Never thought I would see the ice melt from the driveway till spring. A little worrisome driving the higher elevations with large snow piles on the sides of the road, most of the roads are wet with some locations not getting much if any sunlight, being quite cold.

I've been using my high beam for most driving today, only had one driver give me the lights. Seemed to be aimed a bit too much to the right.

So, that is going to be my primary use light. Just realized the bike we traded had the cover, had no idea it cost so much.

Thanks!
post #8 of 25 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 7:08 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
WOW, $46 for the Cee Bailey.

Any link for the proper 3M kit and/or where you may have bought that?

Great evening in NE PA, temps in the mid 50's at 6pm. Got to ride 125 miles on this outstanding Jan afternoon! Never thought I would see the ice melt from the driveway till spring. A little worrisome driving the higher elevations with large snow piles on the sides of the road, most of the roads are wet with some locations not getting much if any sunlight, being quite cold.

I've been using my high beam for most driving today, only had one driver give me the lights. Seemed to be aimed a bit too much to the right.

So, that is going to be my primary use light. Just realized the bike we traded had the cover, had no idea it cost so much.

Thanks!

I've had this one on both my LT's. Works great - https://www.xpel.com/products/headli...e=89&model=723

BTW - you might want to add a sig line or update your profile so people know what year bike you have when you're asking these questions...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #9 of 25 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:14 pm

Talking Aeroflow Headlight Cover

Another option is Aeroflow. The price is just a little more than the Cee Bailey's, so I guess whichever turns you on. I have had my Aeroflow protector on the Bike since I bought her in 2000 with no problems whatsoever! Easy to take off and put back on with the velcro stickys so you can clean off between the glass and the plastic.

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/HeadLight_Covers.htm

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #10 of 25 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:35 pm
BMW Guru

I prefer the 3m/xpel because once it's on you can't really see it. No need to clean the cover AND the headlight. Can lose it either

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #11 of 25 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:57 pm

xpel.com

Use it on all of my bikes and cars. Easy install
post #12 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 7:17 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

This guy is outa Plano Tx. I use it on my LT works great
www.headlightarmor.com
Just click on motorcycle head light kits

Stevie Shreeve
post #13 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Another option is Aeroflow. The price is just a little more than the Cee Bailey's, so I guess whichever turns you on. I have had my Aeroflow protector on the Bike since I bought her in 2000 with no problems whatsoever! Easy to take off and put back on with the velcro stickys so you can clean off between the glass and the plastic.

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/HeadLight_Covers.htm

John
+1 for the Aeroflow.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #14 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
I prefer the 3m/xpel because once it's on you can't really see it. No need to clean the cover AND the headlight. Can lose it either
SOLD! One question tho... with HID, isn't heat a factor with a gel type cover?

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #15 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 1:06 pm

OK - doesn't this beg the question, though?

How many have had a head light assembly damaged by *not* having a cover installed?

Really - I've not yet heard of it happening, though with as many other gripes as fly 'round here - surely there was one or two I missed. Anyone wanna fess up?

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #16 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 2:40 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
OK - doesn't this beg the question, though?

How many have had a head light assembly damaged by *not* having a cover installed?

Really - I've not yet heard of it happening, though with as many other gripes as fly 'round here - surely there was one or two I missed. Anyone wanna fess up?
Last year coming back from Big Bend I had a rock break my headlight. The hole was about the size of a golf ball At around $400.00 a pop for headlights i'll choose a cover for less then $50.00 every time

Stevie Shreeve
post #17 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 7:50 pm

Ok - so it *can* happen.

That's one

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #18 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 8:29 pm

Cover For Stock Headlight

These are two sources for the mylar film.

http://www.xpel.com/

http://www.jmhmotorsport.com/index.p...mart&Itemid=26
post #19 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:14 pm

I have the Cee Bailey headlight guards on both high and low beam bulbs. Bought them the same time as my windshield because they make the price more attractive, as a package deal.

I wouldn't do it again. The CB is big, thick and tough -- no doubt it would do the job, but looks bad (personal opinion, YMMV) and it's a PITA to clean. Next time I'll go with the film. Possibly less protection but they still work... don't they?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #20 of 25 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 7:55 pm

XPEL Film Protection

Hey Fellow Riders: I'm one of the (small time) dealers for Xpel and I can save you some money if interested. It is a great product and I use it on all of my cars and bike(s).

Send a PM if interested.
post #21 of 25 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 1:05 am

A few summers past, a truck in Colorado sent a rock my way and punched a dime-sized hole in the headlamp glass of my Goldwing. It was expensive to replace. dwillie.
post #22 of 25 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:06 am

Re: You can have.

Motorman,
Is this still available? If so I am interested in it for my trip to Alaska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
I have one in the garage you can have. Pay for shipping and it's yours. Used for my Alaska trip, needs new velcro strip. PM me your address and I will stick it in the mail or whoever wants it.
post #23 of 25 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 7:30 pm

Re: cover for stock headlight?

Just remember,,, Ya don't need one on the '05 and newer,, they don't break.........Pete
post #24 of 25 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 9:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
Just remember,,, Ya don't need one on the '05 and newer,, they don't break.........Pete
Is that true? I have a Cee Bailey on my '05 LT and a Ventura Light-Guard from www.cycleventure.com. The Light-Guard for the LT is $30.00.

I'm pleased with both.

mike p
2005 BMW K1200LT (got it in July 2007)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R (parked next to the LT)
1982 Suzuki GS-750EZ (paid $500
for it in 1985, sold it for $450 in 2000)
1978 Honda CB-500F (sold in 1980)
1976 Honda CB-400F (drowned to
death in the blizzard of 1978 in Boston)
post #25 of 25 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 8:03 pm

I'm glad you have those covers for your '05.... I hope they last for many years to come.... Just ain't needed..... BMW changed the material of the lens on '05 and newer.............

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in