+1 on the BMR side case trim! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:25 am Thread Starter

+1 on the BMR side case trim!

With the temps in the 50's yesterday, I had to install the bumper guards on the bags. Very nice indeed! This bike has been dropped more than a few times. Covered up the scratches and looks great. Gets my vote for a great add on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:00 am

Pictures??

Hi,

Do you have any pictures showing them installed?

I've got a few battle scars as well.

Thanks

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:07 am

Ive just fitted some aswell couldn't agree more they cover up a scrape and enhanse the look of the bike I think. I think there's a pic on the website.

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:13 am

Wink

You can't go wrong with these protectors. Plus they look like they belong! One of our own members sells these along with many other LT related products and he will stand behind everything he sells:

http://motogear4you.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=17

There is a picture in the link above if you scroll down toward the bottom of that page as well.

No connection, just another satisfied customer of Raffy's!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:15 am Thread Starter

I don't think my pics would do the product justice. It would only look like a piece of black rubber..but, it is very nicely cut, and they use some awesome adhesive tape. I was hesitant to buy due to the shipping fee, but it was worth it. Only word of caution is to line up as best you can, and just lightly put in place before you press it on.

Having vision issues, I really had one side off quite a bit, but fortunately, was able to lift the tape and put back where it needed to be. It is quite easy to twist the molding out of position while putting it on.
post #6 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:43 am

Thumbs up

Here is a picture of the item. I have installed it on both of the LT's I have owned. I did it to reduce possible damage, if I do fall over. So far I have not had to test that theory. Plus I thought it looked good.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edge.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	15949  
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 3:21 pm

They are the best bang for the bucks of anything I have added to the LT. You would think BMW would have them as stock on the bike.

Wait a minute that would make too much sense

Gene
'06 K1200LT
IBA 31499

post #8 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

I had installed these yesterday. Went for a 125 mile ride today and found when I got back, the two corners had come loose. Put some duct tape on until I get a reply from BMR (just wrote them tonight) for a more permanent solution.

I think, if the corners were kerfed on the backside, tape the chrome first and then applied, there would be no issue with the corner pieces coming off.

I did warm the rubber to about 80 degrees and it was about 62 outside when I installed them. Really didn't expect any problems.

Nonetheless, a great product for the money!
post #9 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 7:33 pm

BMR trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknplm
Here is a picture of the item. I have installed it on both of the LT's I have owned. I did it to reduce possible damage, if I do fall over. So far I have not had to test that theory. Plus I thought it looked good.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
Nice trailer Perry, who makes that one?

>

>Kevin

2006 BMW K1200LT Magnesium Black Graphite
post #10 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 7:59 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
I had installed these yesterday. Went for a 125 mile ride today and found when I got back, the two corners had come loose. Put some duct tape on until I get a reply from BMR (just wrote them tonight) for a more permanent solution.

I think, if the corners were kerfed on the backside, tape the chrome first and then applied, there would be no issue with the corner pieces coming off.

I did warm the rubber to about 80 degrees and it was about 62 outside when I installed them. Really didn't expect any problems.

Nonetheless, a great product for the money!
Actually, I elected to just leave the corners off. They are not what will hit when the lady takes a nap anyway! The important part is the length of the chrome having protection.

See the attached pic and note that there is no rubber trim on the corner of the chrome strip. Looks fine to me, and works great just in case I ever decide to let her nap while I enjoy the flowers along the way! (Inside joke. Ask Meese or AMArider for details.)

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1729.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	15959  

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #11 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:09 pm

It is an original "Uni-Go" from New Zealand. Had it color matched and the front "Rhino" lined for road protection. Still not 100% convinced I like pulling a trailer. It is very light, pulls well and leans with you in the turns. So no complaints on how it handles. It is just the additional space the wife finds to haul more stuff we usually don't use.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
post #12 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:10 pm

side protectors

what did you guys do with the existing stock side chrome pieces? I have dropped mine in slow parking lot turns, and they have protected my bags. Why do you need these aftermarket ones?
post #13 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:13 pm

The rubber protector (strip) is attached to the chrome trim you are referring to. Nothing stock is removed.

Perry Ridgway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgcycle
what did you guys do with the existing stock side chrome pieces? I have dropped mine in slow parking lot turns, and they have protected my bags. Why do you need these aftermarket ones?
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Ahhh!, thanks, I should have seen that.
post #15 of 15 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknplm
It is an original "Uni-Go" from New Zealand. Had it color matched and the front "Rhino" lined for road protection. Still not 100% convinced I like pulling a trailer. It is very light, pulls well and leans with you in the turns. So no complaints on how it handles. It is just the additional space the wife finds to haul more stuff we usually don't use.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
I'm not 100% sure I want to pull anything back there, but I like the small size and looks of your Uni-Go...if I should ever go-for-tow!

I'm ordering a set of BMR trim guards for "Shamu" (my new LT), I've had her for 3 months now without dropping, but since I've signed up for the "Skilled Rider's Course" coming up this spring and I'm afraid she may be goin' goin' down....

>K

>Kevin

2006 BMW K1200LT Magnesium Black Graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in