K1200LT Windshield vibration - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT Windshield vibration

Not that big of a deal, but the windshield on my 2007 K1200LT shakes some if your on a highway that is not perfectly smooth. The top 2" move enough to distort your vision. In otherwords, you can't really look through the top 2 inches normally, you have to have the windshield down enough to look over it, or up enough so your vision isn't obscured.
Does anyone know of any fix, such as maybe a steal edge to retard the vibration?
I appreciate any responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:25 pm

This most likely is not it... but when I was on my long ride this summer I tend to listen to every little creek in the bike. Well when you spend 10 - 12 hrs a day for 5 days (one way)... you get board.

I did notice a vibration in the widshield when the air pressure in my tire was not optimum. it wasn't the blur your experiencing but it was noticable

Mtz 880's

Mike Gregg
2012 K1600GTL (Oooh La La)
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)
135,000 and she treated me right.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 10:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Since you have an 07 I assume you have the stock tall shield. It should not vibrate at all. With it slightly raised grab the top and try to wiggle it, watch where the silver covers are. If you see movement the screws are loose. Grab the plastic chrome cover from the side and pull the inboard side towards you with authority. It will pop off with a horendous sound (all is well) then you can tighten (not really hard) the loose screws. Snap the cover back on in the reverse order - outboard first and snap to center.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Talking do some checking

Windshield should not flutter in the wind.

You have a loose screw, low tire pressures, or maybe a wheel out of balance.

The LT is smooth as silk. If it isn't, there is something wrong somewhere.

Just my opinion, of course.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 6:26 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

I have had this problem on my 03'. I pull the screw covers and tighten the screws gently and problem solved....until they loosen again
Good luck

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 7:50 pm

Thumbs up buy 4 new screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
I have had this problem on my 03'. I pull the screw covers and tighten the screws gently and problem solved....until they loosen again
Good luck
Buy 4 new screws which have the proper thread loc on them and you're good to go. Torque them once and they stay.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:22 pm

BMW NC (National Cycle) Distortion

[QUOTE= The top 2" distort your vision. In otherwords, you can't really look through the top 2 inches normally, you have to have the windshield down enough to look over it, or up enough so your vision isn't obscured.
I appreciate any responses.[/QUOTE]

Is the modified quote still true. Does your distortion look like the parking lot lines in the photo, of a new replacement BMW stocked shield, manufactured in 2007?
It will have a "NC" on the bottom center of the shield!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW National Cycle  Windscreen Distortion Aug.2007 137_1.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	15962  

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 8:17 pm Thread Starter

No, never really noticed anything like that. I'll have to try that come summer. The windshield vibrates or shakes a bit if the road isn't perfectly smooth. It's seems as though the windshield is a bit too flexible considering it is held by two mounts. A LT I test road at a ride thing also did the same thing, so I assumed it is just poor design. With the curve in the top of the windshield, it acts a bit like a lense as in your picture, and therefore when it shakes or vibrates a bit, it obscures your vision. If you reach your hand out and hold it and stop the flutter, its fine. I haven't checked the mounts yet, I doubt if they're loose but will definitely have a look at that. If all our highways were really smooth there would be no issue. The windshield would be steady. Other than that, the bike is smooth. The wheels are not out of balance.
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 8:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbar00c
Is the modified quote still true. Does your distortion look like the parking lot lines in the photo, of a new replacement BMW stocked shield, manufactured in 2007?
It will have a "NC" on the bottom center of the shield!!
Hi Barnett

"NC" stands for National Cycle. The shield is made for BMW in the US. It does not fog up as the made-in-Deutschland shields often did. But some of them have distortion, as you've noticed. If it's a new part, or still under warranty, ask the dealer for a new one.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 11:06 pm

Warranty was approved, Bob. My local dealer has two others from the same shipment that are also distorted. The dealer also has a 08 on the floor that was shipped to him with a NC distorted shield. It's a "Catch 22" for me. I'm back to riding with the original with a credit at the dealer, as I refuse to accept another distorted shield, and the dealer does not want to order any more since he has two in stock. Yes I have been in contact with NC in IL, and BMW in NJ.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in