Ultra Classic to L1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Ultra Classic to L1200LT

I may have made a deal to sell my Ultra. I found a dealer ready to sell me a 2008 LT for $1,000 off of MSRP. I loved the bike at the show and the one I looked at in the dealership. I really want a bike with ABS but Im still having trouble pulling the trigger.

Is there anyone out there who has recently made this swap? Any regrets? i have never had a BMW before..... I could use some advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:21 pm

All I can say is... 'ya gotta ride one to fully appreciate it! Different experience altogether!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Up to you.

Harley has ABS for their 08s. I would never ride a motorcycle without ABS. It is like insurance for me. Never know if you going to need it.

I used to ride a Harley for work in 97 for 5 years. I had a lot of fun that motor but really did not fit. I felt I was to far forward. I did not like the lack of power and the vibration. The heat off the engine. This not a Harley bash just things I did not like. I love my LT. To me, an LT is a large tourning motorcycle without losing the the motorcycle in it.

Good luck.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)

post #4 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Pull The Trigger

I did the same thing last June. But I still have the hog(06 Ultra Classic). Where to begin.....The LT is twice the machine! I love the BMW's and the Dealer experience I just bought a new RT a few weeks ago. Now the Garage is getting sorta full. Think the Hog will be going up for sale in spring when it warms up a bit.

I haven't regretted it one bit! And it doesnt take 4 hrs to clean it and all the chrome anymore!

Rich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 R1200RT Bairitz Blue
06 K1200LT Storm Grey
06 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic FLHTCUI
post #5 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoseph
I may have made a deal to sell my Ultra. I found a dealer ready to sell me a 2008 LT for $1,000 off of MSRP. I loved the bike at the show and the one I looked at in the dealership. I really want a bike with ABS but Im still having trouble pulling the trigger.

Is there anyone out there who has recently made this swap? Any regrets? i have never had a BMW before..... I could use some advice.

If you have not yet done so read First impressions riding an LT posts in this forum. I went from a Road King Classic to an '06 LT and have never looked back. I really loved that RK.

My first ride on the LT was the 180 mile ride home from the dealer. The dealership was great (NC BMW-Ducati in Mathews, NC) and spent lots of time splianing the features. Every 3rd sentence form the salesmen was 'this is not your Harley..the brakes on this thing really work..' He was right. This thing was so awesome I remember at one point thinking it was or should even change the gears for me. Take some time to get to know it. It is not the Harley ride. I love it.

But what ever you decide will be the right decision. Best of luck!!!

Gene
'06 K1200LT
IBA 31499

post #6 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:48 pm

Bam

All I can say is go for it...trust me...you will not look back at your harley once...just be careful...you will have a little bit more clearance in the twistes....
post #7 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I just made the same swap last March. Sold my 2001 Ultra and bought an '07 K1200LT. Like I'm sure you'll hear from others, there really isn't any comparison as they are different tools for different jobs. For me, the reasons for the change were: 1) I wanted something that could be ridden more aggressively without constantly dragging chrome parts on the curves, 2) my SO wanted something that was more comfortable, better suspension, better ride, 3) I've had BMW's in the past and truly enjoyed them for long distance touring with better brakes, better handling, better fuel economy, more comfort features, better lighting, etc. Don't get me wrong, the HD was a lot of fun and if I could afford multiple bikes, would probably still have it. But the bottom line for one bike that really does everything I want it to do, the LT was the winner.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #8 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:51 pm

I have many miles on Ulta's, Kings, Ft Boys, Lw Riders and some miles on V-rods Buels etc...

Harleys are great bikes!

I was "Bad to the Bone" now I'm "Serious to the Bone"

If you are serious about Touring and like Performance... just ride the thing for a couple days or a long day.

My LT has 100,693 miles on the speedo today... just broken in the way I like it.

REMEMBER: Life begins at 6,000 rpm (Beyond Potato, Potato, Potato)

Mike Gregg
2012 K1600GTL (Oooh La La)
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)
135,000 and she treated me right.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

post #9 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:55 pm

K1200lt vs Ultra

I have had a few Harleys and the last one was a 2006 Ultra in Black Pearl. It's a beautiful bike, but last spring I test rode the K1200LT and loved it. The sporty feel, the ride, the power, the handling, the brakes, the responsiveness, all make the bike great to ride.
I was going to keep both bikes but will likely sell the Harley in the spring.
I expect I will be staying with BMW. I also really like the hydraulic center stand and all the extras like one button central locking. The ease of getting to the battery, adjusting the suspension, heated seats and heated handlebar grips make the bike more pleasureable.
post #10 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 10:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoseph
...Is there anyone out there who has recently made this swap? Any regrets? i have never had a BMW before..... I could use some advice.
Give into your feelings..... come over to the dark side....

I traded my H-D for my BMW. The BMW is a superior handling machine. Not so much low-end torque as the H-D, though. And not as much "soul" as the H-D.

But, man what a ride. The worst part is this thing goes too darned fast. Before I realise it, I am going 10 to 20 MPH above the current highway speed. I have to work to keep it legal.

The electric windshield is terrific. I keep it down all the time for a smooth flow of air, but if I raise it I am in a bubble of still air in case I want to open the helmet for an eye-rub, or drink, or snack, or if the weather turns nasty.
post #11 of 32 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 10:38 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

05 Road Glide to 07 LT (in the fastest color I cant pronounce) and have never looked back. If you want a sophisticated touring bike you have found it in the LT.

Two very different machines and engineering thoughts. Just way different.

I do like Harley's but I LOVE my first BMW.

I will take this 4 cylinder, 4 valves a cylinder, over any v-twin.

This LT just does what you ask in any situation, and is a real joy to drive.

If you like it, after a few hundred you will love it, and the addiction begins.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #12 of 32 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 6:57 am

If you do make the switch let me know since I live around the corner from you and I'll give you my two thoughts on the dealerships in the area.
post #13 of 32 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 7:19 am Thread Starter

Would love some info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
If you do make the switch let me know since I live around the corner from you and I'll give you my two thoughts on the dealerships in the area.

Thanks... I would love to know your thoughts. I have spoken with 3 dealers so far and have had different experiences with all of them. PM me anytime and thanks!
post #14 of 32 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:13 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Trans Am in Lancaster is a GREAT dealer. Leave Velocity alone, FAR alone.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #15 of 32 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:31 am

I had an Ultra Classic when I purchase my LT. I had decided I would ride them both. BUT after I started riding the LT, I hardly ever rode the Ultra, and sold it last spring. SO, no real comparison in my opinion if you can divorce yourself from the harley mystic.
post #16 of 32 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:52 am

When you compare the two with an open mind, it's a no brainer! The LT has the edge in all categories. I really like the fairing/console staying straight when you turn, and the sportbike feel of the LT. As stated before, they are different animals and you need to get use to winding out the RPM's. Shifts are so much fun!
post #17 of 32 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:53 am

HD to LT

I rode HD's for 30 years ( yea i am a slow learner ) I was hooked on the lifestyle ... not the ride. I thought I was on the biggest and the baddest,
until I went to pass a truck on my new 1999 twin cam flh and almost didn't make it.

I was not going to sink a bunch of money into a $20k + bike just so i can pass safely.

When i test road an LT ( test rides not given by HD ) i was won over to the dark side by this seductive machine... it corners , passes with ease, and comfort way past the FLH.

The hardest thing you will face will be lugging the motor on the LT trying to shift it like the HD keep the revs up and this bike will sing.

I was ready to get over the attitude, and the PI$$ pore excuse for a motorcycle. And that my friend is a decision only you can make...

MY 2 cents, YMMV

Ridesalot

2005 LT "The grey one with the bugs on it."
post #18 of 32 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 6:51 pm

All I can say is, you will have to work on grinding the kick stands on corners. Not near as easy as the Harley's to take off metal.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #19 of 32 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 6:57 pm

Smile

I traded an 02' LT for an 05' Ultra in March of 05'. The bike was gorgeous, was trouble free and worked great during the time I rode it. It is currently for sale, in my garage at a huge discount for what I paid for it in 05'.
I recently purchased an 05' LT and so glad that I am back in the BMW saddle.
The Beemer handles better, stops better, is more comfortable(personal taste), looks better(personal preference), gets better gas mileage, and I just feel better riding the BMW. Proud in fact!!!
HD's are fine machines and carry a lot of tradition. But they just do not cut the mustard, if you like to ride fast, far, and safe. It is a lot easier to lead or ride with a pack of Metric riders on a BMW.
Go LT's, RT's, GS's, R's, RS's K's all of them!
post #20 of 32 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:05 pm

Ultra to LT

I did it myself. I sent a 05 Ultra Screaming Eagle to the dealer for a 2008 LT - even swap - wow I lost 13k/

I took delivery on Sat and had my first ride on Monday.

I think it is a great machine. WOW the torque is amazing through all gears. I think it is very much more top heavy and I will admit the HD toe/heel shifting is very difficult to adjust to. I am into my second day and I am still adjusting and have yet to get a smooth 5 gear shift. That will solve itself, I am sure. The RPM differences within the various gears are amazing. I think the 5th is amazing the most.

I am hardly a good source but I love it. I am bathing the Blue Lady every day. WOW.......
post #21 of 32 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 8:15 pm

Arrow Ultra Classic to L1200LT

I agree with everything said. I had an ultra classic and last year went to a K1200LT (2000). I have no issue with whatever bike a person chooses. Here are a couple of considerations for a BMW. First, since I am 5' 8" and ride 2 up, I noticed a significant difference in seat height and weight distribution for the LT-no flat footing for me anymore. I have addressed that issue with a different seat and boots. Second, if you do your own general maintenance, the HD was easy (oil, primary, transmission, clutch adjustment, air cooled). The LT is more intensive, so I purchased a service manual. To further address that, I attended the Curve Cowboy Reunion to learn how to do the 24000 mile maintenance tear down. It was an outstanding class. There is, like this forum, a great network of knowledgeable people who can help on such issues. My next training curve will be with the final drive and the clutch weep holes. You will have less issues on that subject since you have a warranty that comes with your new bike. Also, consider the extended warranty when it comes due. Under the previous owner, his final drive did go out at 27,000 miles. However, the previous owner had it replaced under warranty. I love the bike and so does my wife. I love the electric windscreen, power, gas milage, and comfort-once you address the driver's seat (beads work great). I got tired of buying chrome to match my friends. The add-ons for the BMW are more functional and practical as are their owners, in my estimation. On the social side, I joined our local BMW club. They are a source of some excellent rides.
post #22 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 2:16 pm

Lt vs HD

Brian

I have them both, love them both, as everyone has said different bikes. I will probably always have an HD and a BMW. If I had to pick only one. Im thinking the K1200LT would be my choice. The bike choice is too darn much of a personal experience to tell you what to do.

Mirage
post #23 of 32 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 9:39 pm

I agree both are great bikes. I have never owned an Ultra, but I have ridden one far enough to know that I prefer the LT, and no Ultra will ever do what I did on my LT yesterday. Had a cage cut me off and did a semi-emergency high speed maneuver and stop. I drug parts of the LT I had never drug before and I don't think an ultra will go that far down in a turn and come back up. I have not ridden an Ultra with ABS so I can't vouch for their ABS brakes, but I can vouch for he LT.

Enjoy whatever you ride, just ride it.

MRWAD
Y2K 1500 Vulcan Classic "HOG Harasser"
05 SV1000S "Buell Beater"
05 K1200LT "Goldbling"
My Toy Box is Full!
post #24 of 32 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 3:40 pm

I like eating meat but I like a great steak (LT) more than I like hamburger (Ultra)...

I might have to go back to a Harley to get some female attention as the LT is ALL About the Performance, Not the (HD) which is all about dressing up as a little pirate & the lifestyle.. :^)

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #25 of 32 Old Jan 14th, 2008, 11:43 pm

Ultra to LT

Hate to say it on this forum but I went the other way. Sold my 03 LT for a 2008 Anniversary Road Glide. The RG in my opinion is the best ride in the Harley touring mounts - the frame mounted fairing - no harley wobble + all the instruments being out in front make for a way more comfortable ride. The 08's are way better than their earlier cousins & with my bike all I can say is that Harley did a great job with the ABS. Comfort & performance are significantly improved too.

Having said all that, having left the LT behind for the RG I can honestly say that the LT is the better bike in so many ways. Performance, handling and comfort are far superior. It mat not look so cool cruising down the boulevard but how many of us do that for long anyway. The true joy of flying through the twisties on a big tourer like the LT has no comparison.

As said by others a 2-3 hour test ride which most dealers will allow will convince you to buy the LT. Good luck with your decision.
Now if only I could sneak an LT back into the garage without "she who must be obeyed" seeing it.
post #26 of 32 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 3:36 am

H-D to LT

I had H-D's for 23 years with the last one being a '00 cop bike. Traded it for a '02 LTC in '04. Loved it!!! With only a 29" inseem the LT took getting used to. The wife LOVED it. Much more comfy(we're heavy, short folks) than the H-D. SUV vs. LT, the SUV won. Bought a '05 LT after 11 months of healin'. Wife didn't trust my leg, so now I have a '07RT. Although I Love the RT for many reasons, I kinda miss having an LT. Now if I can only win the PowerBall...

Jeff Johnson
2009 Forest green Invacare powerchair
2007 Blue/dark lowers R1200RT(smacked,fixed,sold)
2005 Dark Gray LT (traded)
2002 Silver LTC (deceased 07-05-2005 by SUV)
2000 H-D FLHTP-I Cop Bike (traded for'02 LTC)
1982 H-D XLH (sold in 2002 for cop bike)
1980 H-D Low Rider (stolen by low-lifes)
1977 Triumph Tiger (sold)
1973 Honda CB450 (sold)
post #27 of 32 Old Jan 15th, 2008, 2:14 pm

You are going to kick yourself.....

for waiting so long... enjoy!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #28 of 32 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Love the LT but.....

I am a 25 HD guy that never thought I would own a non-HD road bike but a neighbor has an LT and I got curious. I was taking longer and more frequent trips with the Harleys and 2 1/2 years ago I picked up an 04 LT that had 5k on it. All I have to say is awesome. Power, comfort, handling all day long. I still have three HD's and I love them but ride them less and less. Two of them are "old toys" and haven't been ridden much for years but just cant sell em...to much "blood and good times" in em. I consider myself lucky to have the option of getting on one of the HD's when I "feel the need" for that "Harley Experience" or getting on the LT and cruising all day in comfort and luxury. Now to my Buts......

I now have 27k on the LT and have only done routine oil changes. I am planning on giving her a good tune-up this spring (filters, plugs, fluids). I will probably also adjust the valves while I have things apart. My concerns and gripes are two:

1. The work involved just to get to things to do routine maintenance. My neighbor tells me to plan on spending the better part of an afternoon just to do an air filter change???? I can only imaging the work involved to get at the engine head to do the plugs and valves....lol. This is one area where the HD's win hands down....easy access. Plus....all the "newer" HD's I have owned were very solid with no problems engine/tranny wise.

2. Potential problems with the LT. I only look at this forum occassionaly but it scares me a bit. There is page after page of questions about problems....final drives, clutches, electrical faults, reverse motors not working, shocks, leaking oils seals.... It makes me almost wonder that if I want to keep an LT maybe I should trade for a newer one everytime I get to ~30k miles? I'm pretty decent with the tools (at least on the HD's) but if I get in over my head I am left to the dealers "mercy". From what I read here, repairs at the dealer for the LT's can get salty real quick. Just has me wondering....

So far though....the LT is an awesome ride !!!

Steve

Last edited by loser; Jan 18th, 2008 at 3:18 pm.
post #29 of 32 Old Jan 19th, 2008, 1:47 pm

Harley to lt

I love the twisties,but also do a lot of touring.I got tired of trying to throw that big electraglide around the corners.The difference the LT made is hard to describe.I added floorboards to the LT,mistake,I've broken both sides laying it over in the corners which it loves to do. The LT will stay with most bikes in the corners but don't mess with the kids on the crotch rockets,they will embarass you.I bought an 06 and have had NO problems in 23,000 miles.I service the bike myself,keep the receipts and their will be no warranty issues,at least not in Calif.Sure,it takes time to remove the fairings,but you are not down at Harley buying more chrome stuff to keep up with the Jones,chrome money spent that you never get back when you sell it.Stop wasting time and go buy the LT,Papaed
post #30 of 32 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 11:43 am

As an original response said, ride it to figure it out. Make sure to look at total cost of ownership (oil changes, services, etc). People do it with cars, but less often with motorcycles. Also something an earlier respondent noted.

The big thing, don't trust the dealership to give you a good deal on your old bike as a trade. Unless they're willing to give you a fair price, sell it yourself.

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #31 of 32 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 3:38 pm
JLG

Parked my road glide to try out 2002 LT have not rode my HD for 2 years this year I even bought a helmet
post #32 of 32 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 8:22 pm

I made the switch from HD Electra Glide in December 07 to 08 LT. You will not look back. I did get a little over $2000 off list in the houston area so you might want to work your dealer a little more. My dealer was very firm on $500 off list until I told him I had sold my HD and was buying a used 06 because he was too high. Good luck!
Charlie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in