Curious... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 7:30 pm Thread Starter

Curious...

I've seen the picture of a guy doing a full on the rear tire wheelie on an LT.

Has anybody got a picture of someone dragging their knee on one? I'd love to have a poster of an LT and a couple of grand prix bikes in a corner. You'd really have to hang off your knee pit to do it.

And one that would really sell... two up. :-)

Mike Gregg
2012 K1600GTL (Oooh La La)
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)
135,000 and she treated me right.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BaronVonGregg; Jan 7th, 2008 at 7:36 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 7:38 pm

I'd say it's impossible to drag a knee on an LT. Unless you are 8' tall and really stretch out. I think I heard of someone trying it and they drug the engine guard before they reached the knee, laying it over.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #3 of 23 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

Sounds like a job for Mythbusters...

Who do you think is the better Rider... Adam or Jamie... (Buster?)

Mike Gregg
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

post #4 of 23 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 8:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonGregg
Sounds like a job for Mythbusters...

Who do you think is the better Rider... Adam or Jamie... (Buster?)
Ain't a myth. I'll get to his name in a bit; in the meantime, I'll see if I can find the picture of him layin' it over. I think it happened at Texas Motor Speedway, but not sure. CRS is pretty thick this evening, so gimme time to scour the old site and see if it's still around. FYI - he's the feller that put out the call for a get together in Broken Bow, OK back in 2000, which subsequently turned into the Curve Cowboy Reunion. Stay tuned.
post #5 of 23 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 8:08 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Here you go . . .

That would be Ed "Sir Squidly" Walker. He was an ex-racer who found a freshly paved parking lot and wanted to see if it was possible to get his knee down. He said that he managed it, but was pretty much dragging everything on the bike to the point where the rear wheel was coming up off the pavement. Apparently he did manage to pull out of the slide though.

There's more discussion on the old LT site here.

And that wheelie you wee talking about has got to be Jean-Pierre Goy. He rides for BMW at motorcycle shows and demos, and I believe there were several changed made to the LT to get it to wheelie on command.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Jan 7th, 2008 at 8:24 pm.
post #6 of 23 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

Praxis

1. practice, as distinguished from theory; application or use, as of knowledge or skills.

Philomath

1. lover of learning

Just need a speedway and a couple of extra LT's ;-)

Mike Gregg
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)

post #7 of 23 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 8:27 pm

That is a picture of someone at a track day. You can see he will not be close to touching a knee even if he was hanging off the right side. There is not much lean angle left. Somehow you would have to figure out what to do with your foot, because you would smash your foot before getting your knee out.

Haven't road a GT, but dragging a knee might be possible.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #8 of 23 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 8:37 pm

[QUOTE=meese]Here you go . . .

That would be Ed "Sir Squidly" Walker. He was an ex-racer who found a freshly paved parking lot and wanted to see if it was possible to get his knee down. He said that he managed it, but was pretty much dragging everything on the bike to the point where the rear wheel was coming up off the pavement. Apparently he did manage to pull out of the slide though.

Oh my gosh! That is AWESOME!!!!! It's abuse, but it's AWESOME!!!!! If it didn't take so much courage to do it, I'd say it looks almost hilarious! Man, is he sliding that sucker! Saddlebags and all! WooHoo!!!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 23 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

I was reading the old forum link and must quote these words of wisdom

<SNIP>
FWIW, I have experimented with hanging off the KLT (when riding solo, of course) but I rarely do it, even though it really does help a lot. I got into the hanging-off habit on an old airhead boxer that REALLY needed it, and used to do it regularly on previous-generation touring bikes. But the Mighty KLT is such a sweet cornering machine that I now mostly just sit there and enjoy the ride, and let the bike do its thing, at whatever (reasonable) speed I choose.

The older I get (and I ain't THAT old yet) the less I want to really push the limits in corners. Bikes today have so much traction and so much power that the "limits" are no longer set by the machine. The limits are now the oncoming Buick halfway into your lane, the deer about to jump into the road, the unseen gravel patch just around the apex. When I am at speeds that allow adequate response margins to hazards like this, the Mighty KLT does not require hanging-off.
<SNIP>

It is fun to do in the sweepers though...

Mike Gregg
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)

post #10 of 23 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
...And that wheelie you wee talking about has got to be Jean-Pierre Goy. He rides for BMW at motorcycle shows and demos, and I believe there were several changed made to the LT to get it to wheelie on command.

Changes to the LT to do a wheelie? Like an anvil in the top case, and helium in the front tire?

There's a video floating around this site somewhere of JP doing multiple wheelies in a small fenced-in area. Amazing, but the LT takes a lot of abuse coming back down on the front wheel.

The windshield has been removed.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 23 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Here you go . . .

Thanks, Ken. I got distracted away from the list for a bit. Glad you found the pix and remembered Ed's name.
post #12 of 23 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:00 pm Thread Starter

Re Wheelie & Bike mods

Helps if final drives are of no monetary concern...

Mike Gregg
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)

post #13 of 23 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:55 am

Superbikes

Maybe BMW can donate an LT to the Superbikes TV show.

I'd love to see Jason Britton doing some "stoppies" and all that on an LT. That would open up a huge market for them.

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #14 of 23 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:37 am

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonGregg
I was reading the old forum link and must quote these words of wisdom

<SNIP>
The older I get (and I ain't THAT old yet) the less I want to really push the limits in corners. Bikes today have so much traction and so much power that the "limits" are no longer set by the machine. The limits are now the oncoming Buick halfway into your lane, the deer about to jump into the road, the unseen gravel patch just around the apex. When I am at speeds that allow adequate response margins to hazards like this, the Mighty KLT does not require hanging-off.
<SNIP>

It is fun to do in the sweepers though...
I love this quote, and it reminds me I am getting older. I remember going up Mount Kembla ( near Wollongong NSW AU) back in the early 80s on my 900FB Honda and rubbing the pegs on every corner. Flash forward to 2008, I am with the above totally . Doing a wheelie on the LT... just WOW... and yes, gotta love being wealthy enough to throw a drive train away.
post #15 of 23 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 12:18 pm

I personally know Ed Walker, he was at the first CCR, and I vividly remember his thoughts at attempting to touch a knee down. That shot is from a video he took of doing it (though I can't find the video now). All you naysayer's, tsk, tsk, tsk.

His racing team was "Team Strange". The last time I saw him was in Demings, NM for the LD Riders BBQ. He had a GXSR-1000 set up for touring.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #16 of 23 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 3:01 pm

LT Stunt

I've uploaded 2 mpeg files showing JP Goy in his "experiences" ... LT Stunt

Last edited by Tonio; Jan 8th, 2008 at 3:13 pm.
post #17 of 23 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 5:51 pm

Knee Down On LT

Do you take a tank to a drag race? If you want to drag a knee save a couple of bucks and buy a used CBR600RR. The picture I see is a full out laydown and slide.
post #18 of 23 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 7:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: LT Stunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio
I've uploaded 2 mpeg files showing JP Goy in his "experiences" ... LT Stunt
Not sure why, but I see a clip of a joke about digital TV conversion.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #19 of 23 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Re: LT Stunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Not sure why, but I see a clip of a joke about digital TV conversion.
Makes me want to do a Farkle spoof video....

Mike Gregg
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)

post #20 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 8:33 am

Re: Curious...

Quote:
Here you go . . .

Half of my brian is asking if this is legal and the other half is just
post #21 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphysicist

I still want to see the video!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #22 of 23 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 2:59 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphysicist
I doubt it was strictly illegal, as he wasn't on a public road. But I'm sure it pissed off the guys who had just finished paving that parking lot.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #23 of 23 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 10:12 pm

I still want to try to drag a knee on it

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
Only if you don't go!!!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in