LT rear shock install? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 3:39 pm Thread Starter

LT rear shock install?

Well, I thought I could get this on this week, but guess not. The Clymer manual states the fuel tank, both sides of fairing, battery, seat and seat retaining bridge, both rear foot rests, need to be removed. Is that so?

No garage and a stoned driveway make this more challenging. Never would have thought to attempt this, except for the 50+ degrees the next two days or so.

If it is that much work, I might as well wait till spring and get all the work done that required removal of the entire fairing, install the aux lights, wiring, air and fuel filters etc.

It seemed, reading other posts, the fuel tank did not have to be removed.

Any thoughts? Really hate to pay the $175 for a rear shock install........

Now at 42k, any big maintenance items needed before the 48k?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 7:01 pm

Mike (Sheldan2) and myself just installed one without having to remove the tank or even the tupperware around the tank. Just had to remove the right side panel and the battery. It was tight, but went right on. Having two people certainly made it a LOT easier!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 5:04 pm

Rear Shock Install

I dido cccpastorjack, I only pulled the side panel and battery. I have XXL hands and had managed to get the shock installed without too much struggle. If you're putting in an aftermarket shock consider adding a couple of turns of spring preload to the shock, it will help reduce sag when riding two up or fully loaded. I put an Ohlins on my bike and now I'm thinking about diving in and adding some additional tension to the spring.

post #4 of 4 Old Jan 8th, 2008, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

I got a set of Ohlins, set up for two. Had no choice for the lightest load setting, which I believe is for 235lbs. I am about 220 with riding gear, add some basic junk in the trunk, and it was the best range they had to offer. I really needed the primary use set up for two and the occasional luggage.

My biggest problem is not having the garage to let it set if something does not go right.

Last time I left the bike out with the intent to still ride a few more days, they called for flurries, and it snowed 11"!!!! What a mess. After two really nice days, we still have ice in the driveway from that snow.

Great 125 mile ride today however! Would have been nice to have the shock on, but I opted to ride the way it was. I doubt this nice weather will last too long.

Nice to know the shock replacement is doable. Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in