Mirror shroud not in channel? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Mirror shroud not in channel?

I was attempting to adjust the mirrors to get some clearance on the fairing and noticed on the one mirror, the outer shroud cover is not in the far most end of the main frame channel (about 1" long) of the mirror. There is one small screw, apparently, the rest is behind the glass. Anyway to get that back in the channel without risking any damage to the glass? Seems even the slightest pry with a small screwdriver will crack the plastic.

I had to add more than 1/4" of washers to the lower right side lug to get that side to come close to fitting that mirror evenly on the fairind. I would say its been down a few times. Can that be adjusted inside the fairing as well?

Just exactly what is the proper method of putting these back on? I've been starting from the front and pushing on towards the rear. Yes/no?

The previous owner stated he had installed the tethers, but they are not there.... Hard to believe someone would have taken them off and not put them back on....

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Mirrors

Can you post a pic?

I have done mirror repair with expoxy.

I wonder if you loosen the screw you can flex the tab back into its slot. If not, I would consider cutting the plastic of the slot to allow the tab to return to its orignial position and then expoxy the spot.

I also wonder if the mounting supports on the bike have been bent by prior drop resulting in the discrepancy you describe.

For installing the mirrors, I put a spot of grease on each ball, line the spring clips of the mirror over the ball, and then give the mirror a rap with my hand. I usually start with the most forward ball and then do the rear ones, although I don't think the sequence really matters. The key is to have the spring clips properly centered over the ball before you hit it!

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
I was attempting to adjust the mirrors to get some clearance on the fairing and noticed on the one mirror, the outer shroud cover is not in the far most end of the main frame channel (about 1" long) of the mirror. There is one small screw, apparently, the rest is behind the glass. Anyway to get that back in the channel without risking any damage to the glass? Seems even the slightest pry with a small screwdriver will crack the plastic.

I had to add more than 1/4" of washers to the lower right side lug to get that side to come close to fitting that mirror evenly on the fairind. I would say its been down a few times. Can that be adjusted inside the fairing as well?

Just exactly what is the proper method of putting these back on? I've been starting from the front and pushing on towards the rear. Yes/no?

The previous owner stated he had installed the tethers, but they are not there.... Hard to believe someone would have taken them off and not put them back on....

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0105.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	15945  
post #3 of 3 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I did all that. My conclusion is, the bike was dropped enough that someone needed to have the mirror out of the channel for it to be installed back on the bike. I don't think it could have come that far out of place without breaking. There is no way it could have moved that much and not stripped out the screw hole.

I called the dealer, he said you need to slam the mirror on a flat surface to remove the glass, then loosen the screws to get it back in the channel. He also said it was about a 50% chance it would break. I attempted to pop it off from the back with my finger and a piece of wood, but just didn't seem to want to come off. Could not risk having to buy a mirror too.

Looking at it and balancing the too risk factor of breaking the glass, I put it back on the way it was. Without shimming any of the lugs, this side lined up pretty good. Had I fixed the shroud, I don't think it would have been fixed today.

The other side which took the 1/4" of washers, has a small piece missing on the top of the mirror housing, so it looks like it took a good whack.

Lubed the lugs, got both mirrors on. A bit muffed that the tethers were missing. The previous owner had enough problems with the mirrors coming off he knows he installed them.......

So, can live with the mirror the way it is.

I do want to get the under mirror aux light mts, so will have to see what difference that is going to make. Don't expect to get that done any time soon.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in