Dash light replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:00 am Thread Starter

Dash light replacement

Well it seems right after the repair work to get the temp gage working one of the right hand dash lights is not working. I noticed this AM on my ride into work (pre-dawn) that I can see the temp gage, but not the clock or gear indicator. I'm assuming this has nothing to do with the temp gage repair ( a pinched lead going from the harness to the sensor, and that all the dash lights are on one circuit so if the wiring to dash lights was disturbed all should be either on or off. Not too concerned about the gear indicator or even the clock, but the temp gage is not real bright compared to the fuel level and if the other light that is working goes, well....

So how much is needed to be removed to replace the bulb? Engine? trunk? rear wheel and final drive?

Seriously, do I need to remove the wind screen and then the front instrument cover or does this mean the side panels and radio unit as well?

And would it make any sense that replacing the lead to the sensor would have meant they had to remove the dash, (and maybe just knock lose a bulb) as in the lead goes right from the sensor the gage, rather than into a harness somewhere? I dd notice they had the tank off to replace the wire and to trouble shoot the problem so.... They are closed today or I'd call them and see what they had to do exactly.....

Its not a huge deal, but I like to have everything running normally on this, unlike my airhead where I would just bypass a failing circuit if that was the easier route.

Thanks

RM

I ride because I look funny walking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:29 am

screen for sure

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by c00k1e; Jan 7th, 2008 at 9:55 am.
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

If all you are doing is replacing backlights,just the screen and instr cover need to come off. Use 2721 bulbs,5 required.

Tony K. at LTparts.com has had good results replacing these with LED's

dan

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Tanks!

RM

I ride because I look funny walking!
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Replacing Lites in the Dash

I have changed bulbs several times. It is not easy but can be done as a Do it Yourself Project.

1. The screen must come off. It isn't that big a deal. Remove the chrome strips and the screws holding the windshield and off it comes.

2. You will see 4 torex screws along the channel that was holding the windshield. They should be removed. There is also a 5th screw for which you must pry off the light on the top outside of the dash. Under the light you will see a screw securing the dash panel from the front. It must come off and its not easy.

3. The dash will now tilt forward toward the rider. You will see the bulbs looking at the back of the dash.

4. Replace the burned out bulb with a new one available at the dealer. Since this process is so much fun consider replacing all the bulbs.

Good luck.

Karl
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 3:46 pm

Use #74 Bulbs At Any Auto Supply

Small hands or real long needle nose plyiers can get to the sockets
in back of the dash without taking anything off. My wife has small hands, is more limber, has more dexterity and can get two hands around the frame members to insert bulbs into the sockets.
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 8:33 pm

How to actually _remove_ bulb?

One of my lights was out - I thought - so I proceeded to remove the upper fairing to reveal the back of the cluster. I tried to squeeze and pull the rubber bulb cover but no luck. I WAS lucky enough that wiggling the bulb got it to actually work (imagine taking the bike to the dealer for something like this!) but I thought since I was in there I should just replace 'em anyway. Any suggestions as to how to "safely" remove the bulb?

Thanks for any info

Rick
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 8:57 pm

Thumbs up How to actually _remove_ bulb? - solved

OK, I'll answer my own question! I went back out and tried needle-nosed pliers to _gently_ pull the rubber bulb holder from the socket. Just be careful and you can pull with the pliers. The base of the bulb doesn't extend out much beyond the instrument cluster so you're really only squeezing the rubber boot.

Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in