Official member of the club... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 9:14 pm Thread Starter

Official member of the club...

the LT club, that is. Bought a 2001 LTC yesterday. A little rough around the aesthetic edges, but great solid bike. Rode my RSL from Mobile to Tallahassee, rode the LTC for about an hour, consumated the deal, then rode back on the RSL. Anybody going from Mobile to Tallahassee next Saturday? I sure could use a one-way ride!

Jim Duffy
2001 BMW K1200LTC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1980 Harley Superglide
You can never have too many motorcycles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 9:21 pm

Well, I'm not going to Tallahassee, but I sure want to welcome you to the site! You will love the bike. Ride is amazing, right? Its only just begun!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Amazing don't get it!

Jack:
Amazing is an understatement. I was scared to death, what with all the cautionaries here and elsewhere about the low-speed handling, but I'm not new to big bikes. As far as that part goes, this is just another big bike. But otherwise, WOW. It just blew me away. I'm already wishing it had another gear, but I'm not aware of anyplace around here you can ease along at 100+ mph. I was surprised, really surprised at how well high gear handled lower speeds than the boxer. I comfortably wind 4th to 50, 60, 70 or more before shifting out to high on the boxer, but the LT pulls itself on level ground just fine in high at 35 or 40. It was really a sensory overload all the way around. I can't wait to take advantage of all the gadgets also. The thought of even a radio on a M/C is amazing, not to mention CDs, GPS, etc, etc. Oh well, I'm preaching to the proverbial choir, I know. Just glad to be here.

Jim Duffy
2001 BMW K1200LTC

1980 Harley Superglide
You can never have too many motorcycles!

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:00 pm

You will LOVE the radio! That is maybe one thing that I miss since switching to an 07GT. I still use an Ipod, but must admit that it was cool having a radio on the bike. used it all the time. The cruise is great too!

This site is a great place too. You will find lots of folks ready to help. MOST of the time we get along great and I enjoy meeting other riders and working on bikes!

Right now I have an LT torn apart down to the main engine seal and we'll be putting her back together as soon as the parts get in! Bike is not that hard to work on once you get use to it.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 8:38 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Welcome I would say enjoy the ride.....but your already doing that

I have not been out for a ride in 7 weeks so I am jealous!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 8:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Jim,
Welcome to the site. You'll just love how the miles peel away on any trip including twisties!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #7 of 7 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead_Jim
Jack:
Amazing is an understatement. I was scared to death, what with all the cautionaries here and elsewhere about the low-speed handling, but I'm not new to big bikes. As far as that part goes, this is just another big bike. But otherwise, WOW. It just blew me away. I'm already wishing it had another gear, but I'm not aware of anyplace around here you can ease along at 100+ mph. I was surprised, really surprised at how well high gear handled lower speeds than the boxer. I comfortably wind 4th to 50, 60, 70 or more before shifting out to high on the boxer, but the LT pulls itself on level ground just fine in high at 35 or 40. It was really a sensory overload all the way around. I can't wait to take advantage of all the gadgets also. The thought of even a radio on a M/C is amazing, not to mention CDs, GPS, etc, etc. Oh well, I'm preaching to the proverbial choir, I know. Just glad to be here.
Welcome to my world Jim, thought all the above. Our first ride was with the SD BMWOC on a Sunday with the ride captain. The LT after a less than stable, IMO, 1100RT with wife two up on boxing day, was such a fresh breeze. New Years day we had lunch at Henneseys pub, again with the SD BMWOC. I felt a little uncomfortable with the sloping parking lot out the back very tight turn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in